PDA

View Full Version : artcam pro 08

Devon Jones
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
can you use this program for engraving at all? does anyone use this program?

Michael Kowalczyk
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Devon,
I use ArtcamPro 2009 for engraving but not on the laser. It is a 3D artistic program for CNC routers and jewelry mills. Yes it can Generate files that can be used on the laser. Not sure if it would work any different than Corel Draw because they are all print driver driven.

If you are thinking of getting Artcam Pro to run your laser it would be like getting a Ferrari Testarossa for an overnight delivery service. Sure it will get the job done and everyone's head will turn as you fly, I mean drive by but it is a little over kill. $8500.00+- is a lot to invest unless you have cost justification for it's application to your product line.

You may just want to outsource what you need to one of us that have Artcam Pro until you see if it is viable. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

Thanks and ...

Devon Jones
03-06-2009, 1:20 PM
thanks for the input its not the money i am worried about my work has artcam, solidworks and a bunch of other programs already i just didnt know if it would help or hurt or even possible to use with my epilog. im new to all of this so i know nothing.

Frank Corker
03-06-2009, 4:35 PM
thanks for the input its not the money i am worried about my work has artcam, solidworks and a bunch of other programs already i just didnt know if it would help or hurt or even possible to use with my epilog. im new to all of this so i know nothing.

Jeez you guys seem to have more money than anything else! From artcam they can produce 3d images which can be engraved with a laser that has the power that you use. Ask whoever is 'playing' with Artcam if you can have one (you want the one that looks like a negative) to practice on, import it into Corel, print and choose the 3D settings on your print driver on wood. Give it 3 or 4 passes and you should have a good result.

Devon Jones
03-07-2009, 2:05 PM
i did some 3d lettering in corel yesterday but i would really like to see something like i have seen in some other post. i am currently teaching myself artcam so i can make my own files but as far as engraving and all the other stuff we will see. i also got a few good pics on mirrors yesterday so i am kinda excited about that im sure they could look better but hey two weeks playing and im doing kinda good. thanks again frank it seems like its you and 4 others that help everyone on here

George Brown
08-21-2009, 7:54 PM
Devon,
I use ArtcamPro 2009 for engraving but not on the laser. It is a 3D artistic program for CNC routers and jewelry mills. Yes it can Generate files that can be used on the laser. Not sure if it would work any different than Corel Draw because they are all print driver driven.

If you are thinking of getting Artcam Pro to run your laser it would be like getting a Ferrari Testarossa for an overnight delivery service. Sure it will get the job done and everyone's head will turn as you fly, I mean drive by but it is a little over kill. $8500.00+- is a lot to invest unless you have cost justification for it's application to your product line.

You may just want to outsource what you need to one of us that have Artcam Pro until you see if it is viable. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

Thanks and ...

I have access to artcam at work, after hours, and have generated some 3d images. What I have not been able to figure out is how to export the image into a bitmap file that the laser can use? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks