PDA

View Full Version : Mitre guage - JessEm or Incra?

Robert Chapman
03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Im trying to decide on a new mitre guage and have narrowed it down to the JessEm 07100 or the Incra 1000SE. I like the heavy duty looks of the JessEm but the price is about $50 more. Also don'tknow if either of these can be used easily in the right mitre slot when needed. My saw is a left tilt. Advice? Experiences?

mreza Salav
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Im trying to decide on a new mitre guage and have narrowed it down to the JessEm 07100 or the Incra 1000SE. I like the heavy duty looks of the JessEm but the price is about $50 more. Also don'tknow if either of these can be used easily in the right mitre slot when needed. My saw is a left tilt. Advice? Experiences?

From what I read they are both great. I have the Incra and am quite happy with it.
Very accurate and easy to use on the left or right (loosen two screws and the fence slides left or right). It is easy to adjust to 0.1 of degree (using a vernier) and the stop block has teeth that with steps of 1/32" (I think).

Matt Day
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't say anything about the JessEm, but I have the Incra and love it. Very easy to use and accurate as has been said already. It's very easy to get rid of slop in the miter gauge slot too, which is the downfall of a lot of gauges IMO. Right to left is easy to do with a few turns of some allen bolts, but you'll probably just leave it on the left since you have a LTS. I just got a RTS, but will only use the right slot on rare occassions.

John Thompson
03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I cannot speak for the Jess-um either but... I can say a word or two about the Incra. It ranks about number two on my list of "great revelations" of things I feel have opened doors to a much wider range of potential over 37 years. It fits a slot properly when adjusted and can be used in the right slot with a few minor turns with an allen wrench.

Usually dead on on of the box but can be micro adjusted to square. The angles are dead on when the 90* is. I personally didn't choose to get the 1000 and pay extra for the fence. I have the $48 V 27 and add my own sacrificial fences to meet my wide range of uses which include accurate miters.. making tenons with my Incra and fence.. and standard accurate cross-cuts up to about 6' stock.

So.. in lieu of having one Incra V 27.. I opted for two to eliminate the need to change from short fence to long fence. Sort of a "His and Her's" in phenolic and melamine laminated that saves me about a minute of switching. It's no problem to switch but I got hold of the second from someone that went to a slider for $20.

Good luck with your decision...

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2009, 2:12 PM
I own the JessEm and would have given it a glowing reccomendation, however they're now a US company, so strike that.:D

OK, so maybe even if they have skipped the country I'd give them a great review.

The bar extends to 36", the flip stop is play free, the angle accuracy is great, and red and black onodizing look fablous with my General 650 darling!!

After all, if you can't have a fashionable shop what could you have?

Regards, Rod.

Tyler Davis
03-06-2009, 2:56 PM
those who have the 1000SE w/ fence- do you feel like it is a replacement for a crosscut sled, or do you still use a sled?

Robert Chapman
03-06-2009, 3:33 PM
Hey Tyler - I'm trying to get some information on mitre guages here!

Tyler Davis
03-06-2009, 3:40 PM
well I just wandered in and heard you all chatting - I figured x-sled does almost the same thing as the mitre gages you're asking about ;)

chris dub
03-06-2009, 4:18 PM
I have the Incra 1000SE. It is dead accurate and the stops are a nice feature and very solid. There is no slop in the miter bar due to the fine adjustments. The Jessem seems a little sturdier, but that could also be overkill because the Incra is quite sturdy compared to any stock gauge I’ve seen. I don’t think you will find much difference in function or accuracy, I‘d shop for the best deal you can get between the two. But I’d be hard pressed to understand why one would cost much more than the other.

Ray Dockrey
03-06-2009, 4:20 PM
I had the V27 and made a long fence for it. It worked very well and was a nice setup. My Dad bought the 1000se but never liked it. I think it was a little over whelming for him. I traded setups with him and I really like the 1000se. I am not so sure about the rules but I always use a tape measure anyway so it is not a big deal.

Bill White
03-06-2009, 7:04 PM
Very pleased w/ my 1000SE. Would buy it again.
Bill

David Christopher
03-06-2009, 7:33 PM
Robert, we have the Jessum at work. it is a little hard to get use to but it is rock solid...no wiggle or wobble and the degrees are right on the money...its a heavy unit and believe it would last a lifetime

Brian Frances
03-06-2009, 9:09 PM
If you decide on the Jessem, which I do have, you can pick it up on Ebay for $189.

I have both the Incra's V27 as well as the Jessem Miter Excel and I preferred the robustness of the Jessem since it is made of extruded aluminum vs rolled steel (on V27 & 1000SE). I’ve broken the knob on the Incra but I think I stepped on it http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon11.gif: They will both serve you well but I believe Jessem to be built like a tank. I think the Jessem is more rigid with heavier pieces of lumber. Good Luck.

Frederick Rowe
03-06-2009, 9:24 PM
those who have the 1000SE w/ fence- do you feel like it is a replacement for a crosscut sled, or do you still use a sled?Miter gauge and cross cut sled are similar but there is a distinct difference. The cross cut sled can be extend over the front edge of the table saw allowing larger pieces to be cut; such as squaring up cabinet doors. A miter gauge can only be pulled back to the edge of the table (about 12" between front edge of blade and edge of table) not past it or the head of the miter gauge would be off the table (unstable thus inaccurate until gauge head registers with the table).

I use the Jessem Mast-R-Slide. A small in size, but large in capacity sliding table which provides even greater capacity than all but the largest cross cut sleds.

Robert Chapman
03-08-2009, 9:30 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered a JessEm. Seems like both are good units so I'm going with the one that seems more heavy duty.