PDA

View Full Version : A Mid-Atlantic Spring Get-Together?

Dan Hintz
03-06-2009, 7:48 AM
Over a year back when I first decided to stop lurking and actually post on SMC, I inquired about having some of the locals in the mid-Atlantic region gather for a face-to-face. Due to lack of time on the part of many of us (myself included) and a lack of gumption on my part to get it going, the meet never materialized. Anyone still interested in such a meeting? Keith, any interest in opening up your shop to us whackos as I've read you've done in the past? I know I'd love to see a ShopBot in action as I have one listed on my to-buy-when-money-isn't-so-tight list.

I'm imagining a couple of hours at a local shop, head out for a bite to eat at a local cafe/restaurant (and eat outside if weather permits), etc. Sometime in May should allow for warmer weather to get here as well as giving people plenty of time to plan.

Thoughts?

nancy barry
03-06-2009, 7:55 AM
I am also in MD. I am very interested in a meet. mid-May works for me.
nancyB

Angus Hines
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Dan if Keith isn't avaliable for this I'm willing to open up my shop to all, and you can still see a SB in action.

Robert Rosensteel
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Sounds good would like to see what others are doing.

Dan Hintz
03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Angus, thanks for the offer :)

I'll wait another day or two to grab people's attention, and then I'll try to lock down a date. I already know I'll be playing tour guide to my parents one weekend in mid-May, but other than that I'm open.

Keith Outten
03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Dan,

I have a couple of projects that I plan to start back up this Spring, one is the finishing touches on my old/new barn that needs the loft floor replaced. This one is holding up removing two small storage buildings and the last part of my workshop cleanup.

If Angus is willing to host in May that's fine with me and I would be willing to host an October event in my shop. We have plenty of room for campers and for cookouts so we could make a weekend out of the event.

Angus, if you decide to host the May event I will be there.

Steve Clarkson
03-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh good......at first I thought you were going to ask us to help replace the loft floor......

Dan Hintz
03-06-2009, 1:52 PM
Steve, I'd help him replace the door if I could trade my back work for some wood work sometime in the future :)

Scott Shepherd
03-06-2009, 8:22 PM
Love to meet and mingle with you guys (and gals)!

Dan Hintz
03-07-2009, 9:12 AM
How does the weekend of May 9-10 work for everyone?

Dan Hintz
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Bringing this back to the top... does anyone have an objection to the May 9-10 weekend timeframe?

Angus Hines
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
That weekend would work great for me. Just let me know what everybody wants to do.

I'll pick up some good ol' fashion BBQ and beverages. for everyone and then we can play with the toys and compare notes.

I can even get you a good discount at our local Hampton Inn for those who want to stay over and see some other stuff that Tidewater has to offer.

nancy barry
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
is Mother's day weekend !!.. Might want to get an ok from your spouse.

have to check with my dh before I commit..
nancyB

Keith Outten
03-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that May 9-10 will work for me. I'll have to check with Jackie and my daughters to make sure though, they often tell me about sceduled events well in advance and I often forget :)

Robert Rosensteel
03-09-2009, 1:23 PM
Hey Dan have a show that weekend won't be able to make it.

Angus Hines
03-09-2009, 1:52 PM
The weekend of the 16th-17th works for me also. the only weekend I CAN'T is the 23rd-24th.

Robert Rosensteel
03-09-2009, 3:39 PM
HeY Dan THATS NOT GOOD FOR ME SORRY

Angus Hines
03-09-2009, 3:48 PM
When is good for you?

HeY Dan THATS NOT GOOD FOR ME SORRY

Belinda Barfield
03-09-2009, 5:44 PM
I'm hoping to make it once you all settle on a day. Any weekend in May is good for me. What airport is closest to you Angus? An eight hour drive is a little long for me, unless you make it Memorial Day Weekend.

Dan Hintz
03-09-2009, 6:06 PM
I'll be entertaining my parents the weekend of the 16-17, but other than that I'm open.

Keith Outten
03-10-2009, 5:53 AM
Belinda,

The closest airport would be Norfolk Virginia.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2009, 6:22 AM
As a reminder...

Feel free to bring along some of your work to share with others (especially the less common materials), as well as any questions you've been dying to ask that are more easily answered in person.

I'm already making a mental list of ShopBot questions :)

Steve Clarkson
03-10-2009, 6:30 AM
Wow,,,,,you got promoted to sticky status! That's one of my new goals in life.

Angus Hines
03-10-2009, 8:03 AM
So the date is the weekend of the 9th-10th?

Belinda you can also grab an AirTran flight into Newport News International ...The airport code for your ticket search is PHF for Newport News or ORF if you want to fly into Norfolk.

I'll set up the discounts at the Hampton Inn as soon as I know this is a firm date.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2009, 8:36 AM
So the date is the weekend of the 9th-10th?
Angus,

I'd like to give everyone until end of day Wednesday to put in their two cents (anyone know of some major event that would prevent many of us from attending, like a major awards show in D.C.? :D ), but after that I'd say the date is locked in to prevent waffling.

Hopefully this fits in with everyone's schedule, but if you're unable to attend this time around, you can still try for something at Keith's shop later in the year (more beer and tools!).

Angus Hines
03-10-2009, 8:41 AM
Sounds good Dan we'll wait till tomorrow to lock this date down. Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning a thing or 2.

Phyllis Meyer
03-10-2009, 10:49 AM
You know what folks...count my husband and I in for any weekend in May...this sounds like a fun shindig! It will be hard because I love to cook (maybe the hotel will let me use their kitchen). We'll cook up something Italian for sure, and when we know the dates, we can discuss the menu and liquid refreshments and all that important stuff:). I'll bring some CHEESE for sure!

Phyllis

Dan Hintz
03-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Hmmm, I guess you can only edit posts within a certain time frame :(

I wanted to add a list of people scheduled to come to the first post as well as list a tentative date:

Date:
May 9-10

Time:
Currently TBD, but I imagine the majority of festivities will be taking place on Saturday the 9th.

Currently Attending:
Angus Hines - Our Illustrious Host
Dan Hintz
Steve Shephard
Keith Outten
Belinda Williamson
Phyllis Meyer + hubby
Nancy Barry + hubby

nancy barry
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
nancy B , possibly hubby
which date?
where is the shop?

Dan Hintz
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Post 28 edited, Nancy... sorry for missing you :)

Angus Hines
03-10-2009, 2:41 PM
LOCATION: My Shop in SMITHFIELD, VA (not Fairfield, Va. You can only edit for 30 minutes after a post Dan....LOL) I'll post a map and directions as we get closer to the date.

WHERE to STAY: Hampton Inn Smithfield, Va. (this property just opened yesterday and is absolutely gorgeous) I have negotiated a rate of $129.00 a night and will post the group discount code as soon as I get it.

Phyillis bring your groceries and you are more than welcome to use our kitchen here.

TIME: 10 am or whenever you get here til whenever.

Angus Hines
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
The discount code for the Hampton Inn in Smithfield is: [SMC]

Our room rate is 129.00, their regular room rate is 169.00.

Hampton Inn
200 S. Vincent St
Smithfield Va. 23430

Phone: 757-365-4760

Our Group won't be in the system til Monday however. But if you want to call early just ask for Lori and let her know your with the SMC Group and she can help you.

If you want to make your reservations on-line at Hampton Inn (http://www.hamptoninn.com) then you will need to wait till Monday when she gets us in the system.

Ray Mighells
03-13-2009, 3:57 PM
Any Place around there I can park my RV (34' no slide-outs)??

Angus Hines
03-13-2009, 6:09 PM
Sure is Ray. Got power and water to if you need it. So come on.

Angus Hines
03-14-2009, 7:13 PM
Spoke to Bill Young with ShopBot today over at his shop and it looks like he'll be making an appearance also.

Angus Hines
03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Map to My Shop (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Carrollton&state=VA&address=208+Marsh+View+Ct.&zipcode=23314#a/maps/m::11:36.920487:-76.525412:0:::::/e)

Ok wasn't able to get a Map to the Hampton Inn the hotel and street are to new for MapQuest and Google.

JUST MORE HOTEL INFO:

Hi Angus,
I also left you a voice message this morning.

Your group is available to book by calling 1-800-HAMPTON (426-7866) and referring to the group code of SMC.

To book online, please have your guests log on to our website @ www.smithfieldsuitesva.hamptoninn.com (http://www.smithfieldsuitesva.hamptoninn.com/)
They can enter the group code (SMC) and make reservations under the group block.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me. Have a marvelous Monday :-)

Lori Leib
Director of Sales
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
200 Vincents Crossing
Smithfield, VA 23430
Phone 757-365-4760
fax 757-365-4764
Visit us at www.smithfieldsuitesva.hamptoninn.com (http://www.smithfieldsuitesva.hamptoninn.com/)

Keith Outten
03-28-2009, 8:03 AM
Bring your laptop computer.

Just to make things a bit more interesting I will have a portable USB hard drive with me loaded with files to share. Anyone who has a laptop computer with them will be welcome to connect to my drive and copy files. You will also be encouraged to copy your files to the drive to share with others. Throughout the day the amount of files should grow so you may want to visit the drive more than once :)

Prepare your files in advance. Make a directory on your laptop drive with your name that contains the files you want to share. When you connect to the USB drive copy your directory first. You may then copy any of the directories on the drive you want to your laptop.

Files of particular interest are:
Vector Graphics
Pictures and line art for engraving
Autocad Drawings
Vectric VCarve Pro Files
Vectric Aspire 3D files
Corel Drawings
PDF Files

No Piracy!!!!!!!!
Please bring only files to share that belong to you or that you know are public domain.

I trust that everyone knows to scan their files for viruses before you connect to the drive :)
Connect to the USB drive at your own risk :)

Dan Hintz
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Keith, just saw this post...

If I have everything in time, I'll bring a few DVDs downloaded from Microsoft's clipart repository. Surprisingly enough, the majority of their clipart is in SWF format (vector), so it's very useful stuff. I believe the respository is open to the public, but I have a fast connection so grabbing Gigs at a time is no big deal for me.

If anyone has any specific requests, let me know beforehand...

Also, if anyone has a DVD burner on their laptop, those of us without a laptop (me) would appreciate a burned disk or two at the end of the day (or one mailed afterwards is fine :) ).

Keith Outten
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Dan,

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm willing to bet that file sharing will make it an even more special day and everyone will go home loaded with valuable stuff :)
I have a really large inventory of public domain files I have collected and I will include most of the CNC files we have been using lately and a good collection of engravers files.

Angus Hines
03-31-2009, 1:43 PM
I've got 4 machines with DVD burners so you'll go home with plenty of stuff:D

Keith, just saw this post...

If I have everything in time, I'll bring a few DVDs downloaded from Microsoft's clipart repository. Surprisingly enough, the majority of their clipart is in SWF format (vector), so it's very useful stuff. I believe the respository is open to the public, but I have a fast connection so grabbing Gigs at a time is no big deal for me.

If anyone has any specific requests, let me know beforehand...

Also, if anyone has a DVD burner on their laptop, those of us without a laptop (me) would appreciate a burned disk or two at the end of the day (or one mailed afterwards is fine :) ).

Phyllis Meyer
04-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have been chatting with Tom Benard (Laser Buzz) and after his latest newsletter, I asked him if he could attend our gathering...he said he would look it up. We are really excited!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Phyllis:)

Scott Wigginton
04-02-2009, 11:18 PM
I dunno, gas is nearing $2/gal again I don't know if I can splurge on the 2 gallon round trip :D

Will try to swing by after my daughter's soccer game.

Mark Fitzmorris
04-07-2009, 6:33 PM
This sounds like a great time and the location could not be better! Please let me know which weekend you decide on and I will go.

Mark Fitzmorris

Dan Hintz
04-07-2009, 8:56 PM
Mark, see post #28...

Mark Fitzmorris
04-08-2009, 7:47 AM
Thanks Dan I had missed that post. Looking forward to meeting all there.

Mark

Dan Hintz
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
FYI...

For those who do not have plastic suppliers close by, let me know if you want any Cryo Acrylite or Rowmark stuff... I have a JDS showroom (Rowmark) and a Piedmont Plastics showroom with a few miles of me. Please, half or quarter sheets only as I will more than likely be driving the roadster and trunk/passenger space is not big by any stretch of the word.

Angus Hines
04-14-2009, 1:19 PM
OK in an effort to begin to get a head count. Please post here if your coming or shoot me an e-mail @ 3aih(at)angushines(dot)com. Here's a short list so far.

Joe Johnston
Ed Lang (possiably Jay too)
Bill Young

And from the SawmillCreek side

Keith and Jackie Outten
Aaron and Kathy Koehl
Nancy Barry + Hubby
Dan Hintz
Steve Shepherd
Belinda Williamson
Phylisis Meyer + Hubby
Scott Wiggington
Mark FitazMorris

And a couple of other from ShopBot who are a wait and see what their schedule is like on this date.

I'll post a laid back agenda in the days to come.

Steve Clarkson
04-14-2009, 3:14 PM
Gee......can us non-attendees get in on the DVD action?

Angus Hines
04-14-2009, 3:20 PM
Come on Steve you can make it....I can go from here to Atlantic and 3rd in 5 hours flat its not that far......LOL

But I'll see what we can do for you if you dont make it...:D I'll be out in Sheepshead the following weekend.

Keith Outten
04-14-2009, 7:17 PM
Angus,

You may want to move Ed Lang to the SawMill Creek list. Ed has been a Member here since 2004 (user number 3050)...way before he bought a laser or a ShopBot. He visited The Creek today :)

Steve Clarkson
04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Come on Steve you can make it....I can go from here to Atlantic and 3rd in 5 hours flat its not that far......LOL

But I'll see what we can do for you if you dont make it...:D I'll be out in Sheepshead the following weekend.

I'd love to go, but I have to take my daughter to a softball tournament that weekend.

Angus Hines
04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
OK Steve we'll see what we can put together for you and I'll hand deliver it when I come up the following weekend.

Updates list:

Joe Johnston

Bill Young

And from the SawmillCreek side

Keith and Jackie Outten
Aaron and Kathy Koehl
Nancy Barry + Hubby
Dan Hintz
Steve Shepherd
Belinda Williamson
Phylisis Meyer + Hubby
Scott Wiggington
Mark FitazMorris
Mark Didiwick
Shane Sura
Jim Creech (PM'd but no reply yet Keith can you give him a call)

Dan Hintz
04-17-2009, 9:11 PM
Keith,

Can you modify the thread's title to include the dates?

Angus Hines
04-19-2009, 1:37 PM
Here is the Beginning of an Agenda for the events on May 9th. It's a very flexible agenda.

So if you would care to demo something or talk about something PM me so I can work it in the schedule.

The time slots are not firm so if you only need 10-15 minutes let me know.

I will have a projector set up also if any of you would like to bring your laptop and do a show and tell with pictures and drawings that can be handled too.

AGENDA May 9th

8:30 – 9:30 Coffee / Donuts / Breakfast Biscuits / Sweet Potato and Country Ham Rolls

9:30 -10:30 Open Discussion

10:30 – 11:30 Open Discussion

11:30 – 12:30 (tentative Aaron Kohl / ShopBot Keyhole Utility and Corel Draw Braille program Demo

12:30 – 1:30 Lunch (Fresh NC BBQ, Pizza, assorted Beverages and Breakfast leftovers)

1:30 – 2:30 Open Discussion

2:30 3:30 Open Discussion (Show and Tell)

3:30 – 4:30 Open Discussion (Show and Tell)

4:30 – untill Open Discussion (no Demos in this time slot)

Updated Attendee's List:

Joe Johnston
Bill Young
Keith and Jackie Outten
Aaron and Kathy Koehl
Nancy Barry + Hubby
Dan Hintz
Steve Shepherd
Belinda Williamson
Phylisis Meyer + Hubby
Scott Wiggington
Mark FitazMorris
Mark Didiwick
Shane Sura
Jim Creech
Robert Bridges

Angus Hines
04-21-2009, 9:03 AM
AGENDA May 9th

8:30 – 9:30 Coffee / Donuts / Breakfast Biscuits / Sweet Potato and Country Ham Rolls

10:30 – 11:30 Open Discussion

11:30 – 12:30 (tentative Aaron Kohl / ShopBot Keyhole Utility and Corel Draw Braille program Demo

12:30 – 1:30 Lunch (Fresh NC BBQ, Pizza, assorted Beverages and Breakfast leftovers)

1:30 – 2:30 Tips and Tricks Using LED's (Dan Hintz)

Updated Attendee's List:

Joe Johnston
Bill Young
Keith and Jackie Outten
Aaron and Kathy Koehl
Nancy Barry + Hubby
Dan Hintz
Steve Shepherd
Belinda Williamson
Phylisis Meyer + Hubby
Scott Wiggington
Mark FitzMorris
Mark Didiwick
Shane Sura
Jim Creech
Robert Bridges
Jeff Levine

Mark Fitzmorris
04-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Agnus,

Sounds like it is shaping up to be a great event! If it is OK I may bring my wife and daughter after all the wife really controls the purse strings so if I ever stand a chance of getting a shop-bot I better convince her of its value! If there is any help I can give you in setting up please don't hesitate to let me know. I do have one small favor though on your list of attendees my name seems to have gained an extra letter, there is no "A" in Fitzmorris.

Mark

Angus Hines
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Ok fixed the name, some brilliant guy decided that a&z needed to be next to each other on the keyboard.

And Please bring the wife and daughter, I'll sit her down with Jaqui and Jaqui can tell her all the benefits of you owning a ShopBot. Like how once you get one, she'll never see you again, I think they are called Bot Widows.....LOL.

Dan Hintz
04-21-2009, 8:27 PM
And Please bring the wife and daughter, I'll sit her down with Jaqui and Jaqui can tell her all the benefits of you owning a ShopBot.
Oh, great... now I have to bring my SO. She may not control the purse strings, but she can make my life miserable should I choose to empty the purse without her thumbs up.

Angus Hines
04-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Updated :
AGENDA May 9th

10:30 – 11:30 ShopBot News (Bill Young) / Project Design Co. (Robert Bridges)

Updated Attendee's List:

Joe Johnston
Bill Young
Keith and Jackie Outten
Aaron and Kathy Koehl
Nancy Barry + Hubby
Dan Hintz
Steve Shepherd
Belinda Williamson
Phylisis Meyer + Hubby
Scott Wiggington
Mark FitzMorris
Mark Didiwick
Shane Sura
Jim Creech
Robert Bridges
Jeff Levine
Don Marshburn

nancy barry
04-29-2009, 8:35 AM
Is it possible that someone with a tablet could bring said wonderful tool and do a demo so that those of us without said wonderful tool could experience it?

thanks, nancyB

Belinda Barfield
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Dan, please remove my name from the list of attendees.

All, wish I could make it. I know I'm missing a great opportunity, and I was really looking forward to meeting all of you. Unfortunately, I have the flu (hopefully not the porkish variety). An employee visited Arizona three weeks ago, right along the southern border. Two weeks ago he developed flu symptoms. I sent him home on the second day, after I realized how sick he actually was, but apparently that wasn't soon enough. Typically any respiratory infection is about a two week ordeal for me, so I might raise a little alarm if I try to board a plane.

Have fun! Learn lots of stuff! Take lots of pics!

Dan Hintz
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
:( I hope you feel better, Belinda. The swine flu seems to create a cytokine storm, something that more drastically affects young'uns and those with really strong defense systems... I don't think many of us fit into the former, and I have no idea about the latter (though I haven't been truly sick since I stopped accepting flu shots during grad school, so I may have one of those uber-strong defenses). We'll eat a donut or two in your honor!

Amanda Shughart
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
So is this shaping up to be just a one day thing? Barring the fact that its a 5 hour drive I may try to come. I'll see if I can bring someone along with me.

This is such a new venue for me I'd really like to see how some of you veteran business owners are doing and maybe get a better idea if I decide to start my own business

Dan Hintz
04-29-2009, 1:25 PM
Amanda,

About a 4-hr drive for me each way, but yes, one day jam-packed with excitement and information... you're close enough to stop by my place if you have any questions sometime down the road.

Angus Hines
04-29-2009, 1:28 PM
Sorry your not gonna make it Belinda was looking forward to meeting your show and tell about Corian and Jewlery.

I'll change the list in a few moments.

Amanda, yes this is a 1 day event but I'm save the good stuff for later in the afternoon so come on down looking forward to meeting you.

So can we add you to the list?

Angus Hines
04-29-2009, 1:33 PM
Updated :
AGENDA May 9th

2:30 3:30 Vinyl Plotter and Sign Discussion (Mystery Speaker)

Updated Attendee's List:

Joe Johnston
Bill Young
Keith and Jackie Outten
Aaron and Kathy Koehl
Nancy Barry
Dan Hintz
Steve Shepherd

Phylisis Meyer
Scott Wiggington
Mark FitzMorris
Mark Didiwick
Shane Sura
Jim Creech
Robert Bridges
Jeff Levine
Don Marshburn
Bryson Wagner

Angus Hines
04-29-2009, 2:09 PM
Also, I have created an Event Page on FaceBook for this event.

You can find it here:

http://www.facebook.com/editevent.php?edit_guests&eid=76582796818#/event.php?eid=76582796818

Amanda Shughart
04-30-2009, 7:34 AM
Dan: Awesome! I didn't realise you were so close.

Angus: Not just yet, I need to verify that I'm not supposed to be somewhere else that day. For some reason I feel like the 9th has some other significance but I can't quite put my finger on it.:o

Angus Hines
05-01-2009, 9:55 AM
Amanda Just let us know when you know.

Updated :
AGENDA May 9th

2:30 3:30 Vinyl Plotter and Sign Discussion (Mystery Speaker)

All Day - Free access to the USB hard drive, file sharing

Updated Attendee's List:

Joe Johnston
Bill Young
Keith and Jackie Outten
Aaron and Kathy Koehl
Nancy Barry
Dan Hintz
Steve Shepherd

Scott Wiggington
Mark FitzMorris
Mark Didiwick
Shane Sura
Jim Creech
Robert Bridges
Jeff Levine
Don Marshburn
Bryson Wagner

Angus Hines
05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
From points North :

Take I-64 east
To US 17 South (J.Clyde Morris Blvd. exit)
Follow US 17 South across the James River Bridge
To Cedar Grove Rd. Make right on to Cedar Grove Rd.
Follow Cedar Grove Rd. to Marsh View Ct. (the second right)
To 208 Marsh View Ct. (you will see it right after you turn on to Marsh View)

From Points South:

Take I- 85 and/or I-95 North
To US 58 East
Follow US 58 East
To US 10/32 West (Smithfield exit) follow
To US 258 South Follow
To US 17 south turn left at Cedar Grove Rd
Then turn right on to Marsh View Ct.

OR just Mapquest: 208 Marsh View Ct.- Carrollton, Va. 23314

And if all else fails look for the Pink Flamingo signs I'll be putting up around the area.

Dan Hintz
05-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Please feel free to bring toys, samples, etc.

At Nancy's request, I will be bringing along the idea kit from Cryo (manufacturers of AcryLite) so people can see what a large range of acrylic is available. Due to my LED talk, I will also be bringing along a selection of LED sizes/types.

For the woodworkers in the group, I personally would love to see a selection of different wood types (burls, bird's eye, etc.) as I've only seen them on the web, not in person. I would love to cut my own thins but have held back for fear of leaving a fingertip or two in the scrap pile... some hints/tips on safely doing such a job would be highly appreciated. Anyone want to give a talk on choosing the right tool for the job, like proper drill bit composition versus substrate, speeds, etc.?

Did I already post these suggestions? They sound familiar... I'm losing my mind.

Angus Hines
05-01-2009, 1:02 PM
Hey Dan I have 2 of those Idea Kits here if you want to save some room on the bike !

Maybe we can get Keith to do a little demo on cutting thins. the way I do it is well less than safe and I probably do it with a tool thats not intended for such a job.

10 in 10 out all is good!!:)

Please feel free to bring toys, samples, etc.

At Nancy's request, I will be bringing along the idea kit from Cryo (manufacturers of AcryLite) so people can see what a large range of acrylic is available. Due to my LED talk, I will also be bringing along a selection of LED sizes/types.

For the woodworkers in the group, I personally would love to see a selection of different wood types (burls, bird's eye, etc.) as I've only seen them on the web, not in person. I would love to cut my own thins but have held back for fear of leaving a fingertip or two in the scrap pile... some hints/tips on safely doing such a job would be highly appreciated. Anyone want to give a talk on choosing the right tool for the job, like proper drill bit composition versus substrate, speeds, etc.?

Did I already post these suggestions? They sound familiar... I'm losing my mind.

Dan Hintz
05-01-2009, 1:48 PM
Good enough, I'll leave the kit home (you have two? :confused:).

I just talked with one of the guys in the machine shop (you know, where the really BIG and cool toys are :D). He suggested a custom-made rail block on the band saw and a good quality planer would be best. Maybe you guys have another way, I just hate to see good wood chipped away.

Keith Outten
05-01-2009, 5:27 PM
I would be glad to pitch in with any topic I am qualified to speak about which is a very short list :)

Re-sawing wood or Corian is a snap, all it takes is a really good band saw and it is a low to no risk procedure. I slice my own thin wood often but the truth is I make thin Corian pieces most of the time for custom badges and inlay materials. The larger band saws that are made today make the job a no brainer, there isn't any need to adjust for drift anymore so you just set the fence and make your cut.

To clean up the saw marks I purchased a small drum sander, the 10-20 model I think. It will sand short pieces very thin, the larger drum sanders won't work with small pieces.

I know that life gets in the way but I strongly suggest that anyone who is able to join us on May 9th be there. These small events are the best way to learn new techniques and acquire valuable information. Good food and friendly conversation are icing on the cake :)

Ray Mighells
05-02-2009, 1:25 PM
I was really looking forward to this get-together to meet you all and pick up a lot of graphics. I intended to bring a load of wood thins to donate to attendees. I have more than I will ever use and would be happy to share. They came from a mill that makes flooring and are rejects for one reason or another. Most are 5.75" wide. Some are thicker than veneer but too thin to stand alone. Ideal for inlays. Black Walnut. Black Cherry, Hard Maple, Jatoba, and White Oak. I also have the same in 1/16 to 1/8. Anybody that wants to swing by and pick up a load to bring down there, give me a shout. Mapquest says driving time about 9.5 hrs. I'm in the Southern Tier, Upstate NY. Any Creeker that wants to come here for a visit and pick up some freebies is welcome. 716 945 0098 or send me a PM. If you have graphics to share, bring a flash drive - I have lots of storage. P. S. I cut my thins using a bandsaw blade called veneer slicer. Requires very little sanding.

Dan Hintz
05-02-2009, 4:03 PM
Ray,

Very interested in hearing more about this bandsaw, particularly brand/model # so I can see what I should be looking for.

Ray Mighells
05-02-2009, 7:56 PM
The brand and model are not as important as the power and how smoothly it operates (no vibration). Mine is a Grizzly 18" w/2HP 110/220 motor (model G4186Z). I run it on a dedicated 220 circuit. I bought the bigger size because I was making bandsawn boxes that required the deeper throat. I was scroll cutting box blocks 18" long, up to 11" wide and 6 to 8" thick with a 3/16" width blade. Hard Maple, Red/white Oak, not a problem. Getting back to the subject, you can buy a band saw designed for resawing for a lot less than I paid for mine. The machine has to be fine tuned and you need a good stable fence squared to the blade. Then you need to perfect your technique to run your material smoothly through the saw with consistent speed and pressure on the fence. The name of the blade I use is Wood slicer, not veneer slicer. I buy mine from Highlandwoodworking.com. The company says they have cut slices 1/32" thick 8" wide, and started sanding with 100 grit. I can resaw Jatoba 9" wide and that's some pretty hard stuff. I generaly cut my stock to length before resawing. Easier to handle. Any questions, I'll be glad to help

Scott M Smith
05-03-2009, 4:49 PM
I wish I could make it. Sounds like a great learning experience and I would like to put faces to names......but I have to work...........So maybe in OCT!

Amanda Shughart
05-04-2009, 1:06 PM
Alright! Its official! I will be attending. I may not make it for some of the morning activities but I will try to make it for as much as I can. My boyfriend will be coming along with me.

We look forward to seeing you guys on Saturday!

Dan Hintz
05-04-2009, 1:30 PM
Glad you can make it, Amanda... due to the length of the drive I may miss some of the earlier morning stuff, but I'm certainly going to try and be there as early as possible (don't want to miss out on that country ham... yummy!). I think you'll find the trip well worth it considering the sheer amount of combined knowledge under one roof.

Angus Hines
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Amanda I have saved all the really good stuff for after lunch so take your time and be safe looking forward to meeting you.

Dan the Ham will be out all day. By the time you go home you might feel like a salt block......LOL

Dan Hintz
05-05-2009, 2:22 PM
A side note, but relevant to those in the mid-Atlantic region...

NASA's Wallops Flight Facility will be hosting a Minotaur I rocket launch this evening sometime between 8-11 p.m. The Minotaur uses a particularly hefty main thruster, which means it will be quite bright. If you enjoy a good launch (or fireworks), you may want to watch the clock and see if this bad boy goes up this evening.

Wallops is near the VA/MD border near Chincoteague, just south of Ocean City. Here's their website:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/home/index.html

The amount of power coming out of this little pencil makes our lasers look like keyfob LED lights. I'm less than 120 miles away, so it should be BRIGHT!

Mike Minto
05-06-2009, 4:31 PM
Just let me know where and when. Mike

Dan Hintz
05-06-2009, 9:15 PM
Well, the launch had an 85% chance of getting scrubbed... and it was. Next attempt is tomorrow (Thursday), same time frame. Chance of getting scrubbed is down to 45% for this one.

Angus Hines
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
PM sent look forward to having you.

Dan a pic of the launch area from Chincatague Islnd. the launch pad is directly under the sun.

Just let me know where and when. Mike

Scott Shepherd
05-07-2009, 7:28 PM
What time to the dancers get their Angus?

Angus Hines
05-07-2009, 9:11 PM
8:30 - 9 am Scott

What time to the dancers get their Angus?

Angus Hines
05-08-2009, 3:14 PM
Look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

Just one quick announcement

COME PREPARED TO "Build a DogHouse" and I'll leave it at that.

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2009, 5:25 PM
Look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

Just one quick announcement

COME PREPARED TO "Build a DogHouse" and I'll leave it at that.

LOL . . . It's probably a good think I can't make it Angus, because I have absolutely no idea how to come prepared to build a dog house.

Dan Hintz
05-08-2009, 5:56 PM
I was told if I come home too late to be prepared to stay in the doghouse... is that the same thing?

Angus Hines
05-09-2009, 6:14 AM
For those of you that can't make it. Feel free to check in from time to time @
http://cam.classicmarineco.com/webcam.html

It updates about every 5-10 sec.

Dan Hintz
05-09-2009, 8:59 PM
A huge thanks goes out to Angus and the missus for not only the gracious use of their house/workshop, but also for the yummy eats (I missed breakfast :( ) and great company. Hopefully everyone had a fun and educational time, and I'm glad I got the chance to put some faces to names.

Should we start planning our Mid-Atlantic Spring Get-Together 2010? :) Or maybe Mid-Atlantic Fall Get-Together 2009? :D

On a bad side note... I finally figured out what the knocking noise was from my rear suspension. It was one of my rear brakes seizing up... again :( I drove nearly 170 miles without braking. And then I took a wrong turn and ended up headed into downtown DC :( Lots of braking :(

Keith Outten
05-10-2009, 1:38 AM
Jackie and I also would like to thank The Hines for their hospitality hosting the Mid Atlantic Spring Get Together. It was a great gathering, lots of nice folks who had a lot of information to share.

Presentations by Bill Young, Dan Hintz, Scott "Steve" Shepherd, Nancy Barry and Aaron Koehl were enjoyable and informative. Special thanks to Steve for bringing his vinyl cutter and sharing his sign making skills and information.

Below is a rare, these days, picture of our System Administrator Aaron Koehl giving his presentation on his Corel Draw Braille script and the new Keyhole utility.

Dan, the Fall 2009 Mid Atlantic Get-Together will be at my shop in Gloucester County the third week of October. Jackie and I are already working on the schedule of events, demonstrations and speakers list. Volunteers are welcome, if you would like to participate please contact me.

Angus Hines
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Just wanted to Thank everyone for coming out and making the long drives down from points everywhere.

Looking forward to October and next Spring already.

Here's a few more shots.

Angus Hines
05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok pictures

Angus Hines
05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
and More Pictures

nancy barry
05-10-2009, 2:13 PM
John & I want to thank everyone for their hospitality and for the incredible sharing of information that took place. I learned some new things to do with the laser and got lots of food for thought for other things that we may be able to do to expand our business. The food was incredible . I really liked the smoked ham and good eastern style pork bbq was tops ...

We look forward to seeing everyone again.
nancy and john barry

Dan Hintz
05-10-2009, 2:39 PM
Before I forget (again)... Angus, where can we send donations for the food fund? I don't know who paid, but I expected we'd all go out to eat, so never thought about putting together a fund beforehand.

Angus Hines
05-10-2009, 4:20 PM
No need for donations Dan. You donated you time and knowledge. Consider it a Thank you for your presentation :D

Scott Shepherd
05-10-2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks so much to Angus and his family for allowing us into his home. I personally appreciate all the effort that went into it from his family. Nice to see everyone, great to see some old friends and make some new ones.

Some great information passed on by many people. Just remember, what happened at Angus' stays at Angus' ;)

I too feel like I owe you something Angus. We'll catch up here or there or somewhere in between for some good food soon.

Thanks for all you guys did! Pet Frank for me :) What is Frank (other than big)?

Angus Hines
05-10-2009, 9:18 PM
Frank is a Great Pyrenees.

Also, on a side note the DogHouse is done. as soon as I get permission to post pic there will be a thread in the CNC forum with pix and details

Thanks so much to Angus and his family for allowing us into his home. I personally appreciate all the effort that went into it from his family. Nice to see everyone, great to see some old friends and make some new ones.

Some great information passed on by many people. Just remember, what happened at Angus' stays at Angus' ;)

I too feel like I owe you something Angus. We'll catch up here or there or somewhere in between for some good food soon.

Thanks for all you guys did! Pet Frank for me :) What is Frank (other than big)?

Mark Fitzmorris
05-11-2009, 9:45 AM
I also want to add my thanks to Angus and his family for the wonderful spread and warm hospitality! I certainly enjoyed meeting all and thanks to those that gave presentations, they were all very informative.

Mark Fitzmorris

Amanda Shughart
05-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Sorry its taken me so long to get in here and add my thanks to Angus and his wife for opening up their home/shop, and thanks to everyone who gave demonstrations and talks and to everyone who just was there, I talked to so many people and got a lot of good ideas.

Some of them I've already put into use, some worked, some havn't. I have to say I made a jig for the plate and ended up using all laser foil on it again and it came out sooo nice looking. Paint did engrave better but does not look as sharp as the foils do.

I look forward to October and hopefully I will have something more to show when I come. You never know with my job. :D