PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone Make this tool?

Stanley Campbell
07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
:rolleyes: I need a set of rubber jaws for my Chuck, so that I can hold a piece of wood with out marking it up. I realize I could use a folded cloth, but then I would have problems keeping it square in the chuck. SO, after much thought I realized I need a set of hard Rubber jaws for my Chuck, so that I can take pieces that I have just turned and cut off from the lathe, mount them in the rubber jaws and finish the ends without messing up the part I just turned.

Who makes this?:confused:

Stan

Dan Stuewe
07-16-2004, 1:02 PM
Only thing I have seen in my limited catalog surfing is something like Cole jaws for a Stronghold or Nova.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=402&gift=False&mscssid=B4F40B6B34394AD495279961E122E0B3

I don't know how small a diameter these can handle. And if you are talking spindle work, then using the tailstock would be highly recommended.

Of course if you are just looking at bowls and platters (non-art type) a vacuum chuck might be the ticket.

Jim Becker
07-16-2004, 1:13 PM
Stanley, can you be more specific about the kinds of turnings you need to hold in this manner? Bowls? Vessels? Spindle turnings? It's important to understand your needs better. But assuming you mean bowls, the Cole jaws that Dan mentions fit your description, although they are not the only method for remounting work on the lathe for finishing off the bottoms, etc.

Steven Wilson
07-16-2004, 2:23 PM
What chuck are you using. Oneway, Nova, and Vickmark make cole jaws for their chucks. You can also make them out of Baltic Birch. Another route would be a jam chuck, or even a vaccum chuck.

Lee Schierer
07-16-2004, 2:25 PM
Some drill press chuck have jaws with flats on the inside. These don't work well for holding small drill bits, but they do work fairly well when chucking up wooden parts in a drill press.