PDA

View Full Version : Old Disston Turning Tools

Greg Crawford
03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Tonight a customer brought some old Disston turning tools into the Woodcraft store where I work. There were about 6, each with the original ferrule with Disston stamped on them and the Disston logo on the steel. The handles are also original but refinished. There was also a large Buck skew.

I had no idea Disston made lathe tools. Are these rare? When I see him again, should I suggest he start investigating their value?

I wish I would have had my camera so I could post pics, but alas.....

David Keller NC
03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
They are not common, but not really valuable. Disston produced these in the 30's, 40's and first part of the 50's, so far as I'm aware. A complete set in the original box is worth perhaps $300-$500 to a collector.

Used, refinished Disston turning tools not in the original box and not a complete set are probably just nice user tools.

Greg Crawford
03-06-2009, 1:05 PM
Thanks David. I don't know if it's a complete set, but I do know they don't have the original box. I told him at the very least, he had some tools equal to or better than most anything he can get now.

Richard Chan
03-06-2009, 3:18 PM
I have a set of Disston turning tools I picked up at the bay and the discriptions is

DISSTON WOOD TURNING CHISEL SET - FOUND THIS OLD SET OF 8 DIFFERENT PIECES, NEVER USED - IN ORIGINAL BOX - ALL WOOD HANDLES ARE STAMPED IN RED WITH THE NAME: DISSTON PORTER USA - THE BLADES ARE AS FOLLOWS: 1 inch skew, 1/2 inch skew, 1/2 parting tool, 1/2 spear point tool, 1/4 gouge, 1/2 gouge, 1/2 round nose, 3/4 gouge - ALL BLADES ARE LIKE NEW, NEVER SHARPENED

Well it's sharpen now once:). Any collector want it for $500.00:)?

Don Orr
03-06-2009, 8:11 PM
Disston made turning tools a while back as has been said, but they also made them not too long ago. I got a set about 8 years ago at a local WW store-new. The old ones and the new ones were made from a tool steel and "triple tempered" but they were not High Speed Steel which is generally more desireable today. I took mine back when I discovered this as they do not hold an edge very well compared to HSS. If they are a complete set in original packaging and in mint condition, they might be worth something to a collector, otherwise they are not worth much to a turner except maybe to a beginner looking for an inexpensive way to get started. David probably knows way more about this than I do.