PDA

View Full Version : Nothing too spectacular, but...

John Miliunas
07-16-2004, 11:48 AM
...BUT, I don't want to get accused of raggin' about pics and then not posting any myself! :rolleyes: We went to the big art fair in Madison last weekend and my daughter fell in love with a print of an Oriental dragon. She has decorated her room in an Oriental motif and Dad just couldn't resist the look in her eyes when she saw it. Big $$, but she's worth it. She DID, however, opt for the un-framed print to let Daddy make the frame. I selected some nice Lacewood I had been saving for the project. The particular dragon she chose, is representative of "metal" and strength, so I decided to add a little metal to the frame in the form of inlaid copper. Finish is a couple coats of wiped on brew (50/50 Velvit Oil/Minwax Gloss Poly). Turned out OK and she just loves it. That's *really* all that counts, now isn't it?! :) Thanks for taking a peek.... Critiques welcome! :cool:

John Gregory
07-16-2004, 11:55 AM
The inlay work looks great, and the wood looks 3D even on my computer screen. You are such a Dad. I be she loves the frame and the print.

Earlier this year my wife and I built some Red Oak Kitchen cabinets for our daughter's condo. She made a comment that stuck with me. She said it was nice that the hobby that her mom and I enjoy, also brings joy to others. Your girl will cherish that frame and picture forever.

Good job

David Wilson
07-16-2004, 12:07 PM
John
Looks great. Can you tell us about the proscess of inlaying copper in wood.
Do you start with wood proud of the copper and sand or plane to the level of the copper?

Jason Tuinstra
07-16-2004, 12:12 PM
John, very creative. I like the lacewood with the copper inlay. Real nice touch.

Bob Marino
07-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Beautiful John. The only criticism that I have is that I didn't make it ;).

Bob

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey John.....

You forgot to line up the "Lace Dots" in each miter!!!! :eek: :p :D

Very nice work and very well done. I really like it alot.!!!! Thanks for sharing and it is a perfect piece even if the Lace Dots don't match at each miter. :rolleyes: :p

Bob Hovde
07-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Beautiful! - and a great combination! :)

Bob

Brad Schmid
07-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Nice work John! I like it alot. Can you give us some details on the inlay work?
Brad

Frank Pellow
07-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Very nice John. I, too, am interested in how you inlayed the copper.

Dick Parr
07-16-2004, 1:14 PM
John you don't always show a lot of projects :D :D , but when you do: WOW I bet she love's it. :) ;) :p

Lou Morrissette
07-16-2004, 1:15 PM
Nice job Jonn. The copper inlay in the lacewood is a perfect color combination.:D

John Miliunas
07-16-2004, 1:18 PM
Ahhhh yes...The copper. To divulge the "secret" or not? Hmmmm...OK, I will. :p Real, real simple, actually. I had, in the past, putzed around doing some stained glass work. The copper is nothing more than copper foil, which comes on a roll and, it's already pre-glued for you! :D A few test dado's (if you really want to call less than a 1/64th a "dado"!) for fit, dado all of the stock, place the copper foil in the dado and cut the frame pieces to length. Piece o' cake! :D The width of the copper is 5/32nd, so a little playing on the rip fence and I mounted up my CMT 1/8th blade, which has a completely flat profile to avoid the "wedge"-type cut. Fact is, the *only* use this particular blade gets is when I need narrow, flat bottoms, such as splines on box corners or such. Thanks much for all the kind words, BTW! :) Much appreciated! :cool:

Gary Whitt
07-16-2004, 1:21 PM
Nice choice of wood for the frame.

Ron McNeil
07-16-2004, 1:23 PM
John, very nice work. The picture frame looks great and the copper inlay is so neat. :D

Tyler Howell
07-16-2004, 1:32 PM
John,

That is awesome. Very fine indeed!;)

David Klink
07-16-2004, 1:36 PM
Excellent job John....The copper looks great with that lacewood, and the oriental theme works nicely.

Jim Becker
07-16-2004, 1:55 PM
Critique? I don't think so. Awesome. Period.

John M. Cioffi
07-16-2004, 6:59 PM
GRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEAt. As tony would say.

Wonderful work with such a delicate inlay. I don't know if I would have the patience for that. I love how the copper accents the Lasewood,so beautifully.
Thanks for sharing the inside scoop.

John

Jeff Skory
07-16-2004, 8:30 PM
John,

I really, really like it. Simple yet elegant. :D

Curious, are the corners simply glued together or did you use a spline or bisquit? And did you route out a rabbet on the backside to place the poster in?

And finally, assuming you have a rabbet on the back, what kind of hardware did you use to hold the picture into the frame? I can't find anything at the local hardware stores and probably will need to buy something online for this.

Rich Konopka
07-16-2004, 8:33 PM
I agree with Jim. What is there to critique? Nice Job !! I love the closeup on the wood.

I hope the family is doing well.

Best Regards

Dave Richards
07-16-2004, 8:35 PM
That's a nice frame. I like both the wood choice and the copper for that print. It works very well. Your daughter should be pleased. I'm sure she'll have that print and its frame for a very long time.

Mark Singer
07-16-2004, 9:13 PM
Your Good! Your Very Good!

Jerry Olexa
07-16-2004, 11:39 PM
Good work, John!! Looks good. Like the inlay and you're a good Dad!!:)