View Full Version : Makita Drills / off brand they make..

richard poitras
03-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Makita Drills / off brand they make..

I was in my local ACE Hardware today and saw a drill made by Makita I can’t remember the name of it but it was very similar to the Makita name. It had Makita brand batters and the sales man said the Drill was made by Makita. (same color)Has anyone had any experience with this line or know the name of them?
They were selling them for $60.00 which included an 18 volt drill and two batteries along with a charger and hard plastic case..

Marty Barron
03-06-2009, 6:36 PM
Richard, Maktec is the name you are thinking about. I have seen a router of theirs at my local tool store. The clerk says it is a pretty good router for the price but I would stick to the Makita label.

Marty

richard poitras
03-06-2009, 7:28 PM
Marty, that’s the name I was talking about thanks. I was not too sure if they were any good but at $60 :eek:….. It kind of intrigued me. I use to have a Makita drill and it lasted about 10 years. I was very happy with it.

michael osadchuk
03-07-2009, 2:52 PM
....punch in maktec and makita into a google search engine and a few good woodworker forum thread pop up, including one I read on the australian woodworking forum wherein someone who said that in his occupation as a tool tester he has tested maktec products and states they won't last decades as would a Makita badged item as they are made with lower quality components......no surprise, I assume

michael

Mike Wellner
03-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah I seen that at Ace and Menards. Corners are cut somewhere.