PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued Craftsman tool.

Dan Gonzales
03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Hello All,

Maybe someone has encountered this before. What do you do with a discontinued Craftsman tool when it breaks? I have a seven-year-old masonry hammer that broke and the local Sears doesn't think they make them anymore.

Dan Gonzales
Whittier, CA

Matt Meiser
03-05-2009, 10:38 PM
My dad has had a combination 1/4" driver handle/extension break after it was discontinued. They said they'd exchange it for either a 1/4" driver handle or a 6" extension. I had a punch that was no longer available individually, only as part of a set so they broke open the set and gave me the one I needed and put the set in the warranty bin. Worse case, if they can't honor the warranty, tell them you wish to invoke the "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" warranty on the door.

David Christopher
03-05-2009, 10:40 PM
they will replace it with somthing similar

David Weiser
03-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Sears Craftsman is really great about honoring their warranty. My father had a 1/2 drive socket handle die after about 20 years. The gears just finally gave out. We took it back to our local Sears and no questions asked, they exchanged it.

Randal Stevenson
03-06-2009, 12:33 AM
What is the handle made of? If wood, Sears has gone back to an old proceedure of giving a replacement handle (people used to replace those and tape measure internals).

If steel, you might search their site, as they have two Eastwick, brick layers hammers listed (quite possibly, the OEM, who they have gone back to on several items). They would replace it with that, and you would have to deal with them for future warranty replacements

Biff Johnson
04-18-2013, 1:03 AM
I've had this happen several times over the years. In some cases, the really nice ratchets I had ended up getting exchanged for some not very nice new ones :(

In other cases, some dingy chisels and vice grips were swapped with much nicer than the originals.

It seems to be a real crap shoot, I never know quite what I'm going to get when I go to Sears. Usually the tool department is staffed by folks that know much more about other things than power equipment.:D

John Keeton
04-18-2013, 6:04 AM
Folks, I have edited and/or removed a couple of posts. This thread is NOT a rant thread, and your replies should be limited to assisting the OP with his concern - not taking the opportunity to bash Sears.

Thanks!

johnny means
04-18-2013, 7:12 AM
Dang it! I had a really long and viscious rant against Sears for not giving tape measures to me and all my descendents for eternity in exchange for one that my great grandfather bought 70 years ago.:rolleyes:

Charles Wiggins
04-18-2013, 9:38 AM
Hello All,

Maybe someone has encountered this before. What do you do with a discontinued Craftsman tool when it breaks? I have a seven-year-old masonry hammer that broke and the local Sears doesn't think they make them anymore.

Dan Gonzales
Whittier, CA

Maybe you could ask them for one of these: http://www.sears.com/ampco-safety-tools-bricklayer-s-hammers-1.75-lb-bricklayers/p-SPM7441923710 Geez! $97.99 for a HAMMER! At that price it better come when I call it.

Joe Hillmann
04-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Maybe you could ask them for one of these: http://www.sears.com/ampco-safety-tools-bricklayer-s-hammers-1.75-lb-bricklayers/p-SPM7441923710 Geez! $97.99 for a HAMMER! At that price it better come when I call it.
Did you read the description of that hammer? It is non sparking, non magnetic and beryllium free. That isn't something that the average bricklayer would need. It it a very specalized tool for a very specialized use which helps to explain there price on it.

Troy Turner
04-18-2013, 3:31 PM
I would have to say good luck. Most warranties on their power tools are 1 year, 2 years at best if you paid an additional $$ for it. Their hand tools have the lifetime warranty.

Now, if it IS under warranty, they'll either fix it, or should give you some comparable.

Troy Turner
04-18-2013, 6:14 PM
Ah man, I just noticed this thread was started in '09 :D

Charles Wiggins
04-19-2013, 9:56 AM
Did you read the description of that hammer? It is non sparking, non magnetic and beryllium free. That isn't something that the average bricklayer would need. It it a very specalized tool for a very specialized use which helps to explain there price on it.

No I did not. Point taken. Thanks for the lesson.

Steve Peterson
04-19-2013, 1:48 PM
Just make sure that the "equivalent" tool they give you is of equivalent quality. If the original tool was made in USA, then the replacement should be made in USA if possible.

Steve

johnny means
04-19-2013, 8:58 PM
Just make sure that the "equivalent" tool they give you is of equivalent quality. If the original tool was made in USA, then the replacement should be made in USA if possible.

Steve
Yeah, cuz good steel only grows in Meraca.

Denny Rice
04-19-2013, 9:07 PM
I would have to say good luck. Most warranties on their power tools are 1 year, 2 years at best if you paid an additional $$ for it. Their hand tools have the lifetime warranty.

Now, if it IS under warranty, they'll either fix it, or should give you some comparable.

Just don't lose the receipt!