PDA

View Full Version : Need Help wiring 220

Lucas Moore
03-05-2009, 9:57 PM
Hey all - Just wondering if anyone out there can help me. I just purchased a slightly used Jet 10-inch table for a steal of a price. Just one problem though - it is 230v and I only have 110v available.

So, I want to install a dedicated 230v line for this saw but I don't exactly know how. Here's what I know:

1: My breaker box is on opposite side of house and would have some difficulty snaking a subpanel to garage (unless I can run wire through soffets).

2: Circuit breaker box is full - I know how to install enough tandem breakers to free up breaker space for new breaker.

Here's what I don't know:

1: I really don't want to snake lines to garage so can I install a 230v receptacle (one that locks when not in use and rated for outdoors) and make my own heavy duty extension cord? Distance would be about 30 ft.

2: Exactly what size breaker and wire gauge to use

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks to all

John Bush
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi Lucas,
I made extension cords for all my machines and drop them from receptacles mounted on the ceiling. I have hooked my welder up using two extension cords over 130' combined. I had a 50A circuit for the welder but was advised by an electricion friend that 30A was plenty. I used 10/3 SJOOW water resistant wire(~~$1.70/ft) and it seems to work well--no fires or blown breakers. This could be a simple and relatively inexpensive solution to get you up and running and you can do a more permanent fix as needed later. I don't think the amp draw from the saw would be a problem. JCB

Tom Veatch
03-05-2009, 10:53 PM
1: I really don't want to snake lines to garage so can I install a 230v receptacle (one that locks when not in use and rated for outdoors) and make my own heavy duty extension cord? Distance would be about 30 ft.

With the emphasis on "Heavy Duty", that should work for a temporary solution. Don't try to use one of those little 16ga or even 14ga cords. Go for a minimum of 12ga wire for your cord. 10ga would be even better but probably not an absolute requirement.

2: Exactly what size breaker and wire gauge to use
If you saw is the 3HP model and you're not talking about simultaneous loads, a 20 amp circuit will be quite sufficient and your starting point for wire size is 12ga. If your total 1-way wire run from the breaker to the outlet is greater than about 70 feet, you might want to consider going to 10ga to keep the percentage voltage drop down around 2% at the outlet. You'll lose more voltage in the cord so you want to keep that wire size as large as practical - as mentioned, at least 12ga and larger if practical.

Jamie Buxton
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Rather than pulling the 230 through the house, you might consider putting it on the house exterior. Run a metal conduit tucked up under the eaves, paint it, and it won't be noticed.