PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble logging out ?

Matthew Curley
03-17-2003, 3:29 PM
Sorry to bother... but, I have trouble logging out when I'm on my macintosh (no problems with my IBM) It is not a big deal, it just usually takes 3 or 4 tries. I'm running IE Explorer 5.0 on MacOS 9.0.4 if that helps...

and just to head off the expected comment of "well just get rid of the Mac..." I've already tried that :)
My IBM is at home and the Mac is at work, but I only look at SMC during my lunch hour :D

Honest!

TIA

Aaron Koehl
03-17-2003, 4:38 PM
'Troubles' is somewhat broad... any error messages?
What screens are you seeing? Is the link even taking
you anywhere?

_Aaron_

Matthew Curley
03-17-2003, 5:52 PM
hi Aaron,

Sorry for the lack of detail... When I click on Logout on the main forum's page, I get forwarded to a page which says:

vBulletin Message
All cookies cleared! Click here to return to the forums index.

Then when I click "here" or the Sawmill logo in the upper right, or a forum jump, or the Home link in the upper left, the system still shows me as logged on. I've tried all of the different links, shutting down IE explorer, and the refresh button, none of those seem to work????

Also, I don't know if this is connected or relevant, but I also seem to have problems seeing new messages when I have already looked at the thread previously. Almost like the thread is being pulled from my cache, not off the net. I try to refresh, but that doesn’t do it. I have to click on the "last post" link on the forum list of threads. ‘

Does any of this make sense? Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify on my end.

Thank you for the help…

paul in colorado
03-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Matt:
This site seems to have Mac specific problems. [I run OS ten Jaguar]
No other site I visit has any difficulty.
On hitting the front page I see that there may be a very recent post in Power Tools. going there, the most recent post I see may be hours ago. The only way I can see recent posts is by going back and hitting 'visit new posts'.
logging out and clearing cache not only doesn't help but it makes me a non-person. I then have to go through the e-mail of a new password and basically re-register.
This whole thing calls up the pain/gain ratio question.
I like the site and the format but gotta wonder if its worth the trouble.

Matthew Curley
03-19-2003, 3:52 PM
Paul,

the site (while difficult at times) is well and truely woth it. Not because of the site itself, but because of the people who inhabit it. Software and hardware can be upgraded and bugs can be fixed, but I challenge you to find a better group of people, because people aren't as easy to "fix" as the bugs. If I had to stand on one foot, wear an aluminum hat, and hold a wire coat hanger in my right hand, I would be typing this left handed and have a partial roll of foil in my desk.

I will add one caveat: Woodcentral... another fine group of people, on par with the group here, not better, not worse, just different.

Aaron Koehl
03-22-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by paul in colorado
The only way I can see recent posts is by going back and hitting 'visit new posts'.
logging out and clearing cache not only doesn't help but it makes me a non-person. I then have to go through the e-mail of a new password and basically re-register.
[/B]

Paul,

On the main page in the bottom right corner is a box where you
can enter your user name and password, rather than going through
the trouble of emailing yourself your password.

_Aaron_

Paul Kunkel
03-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Matthew Curley
Sorry to bother... but, I have trouble logging out when I'm on my macintosh (no problems with my IBM) It is not a big deal, it just usually takes 3 or 4 tries. I'm running IE Explorer 5.0 on MacOS 9.0.4 if that helps...

and just to head off the expected comment of "well just get rid of the Mac..." I've already tried that :)
My IBM is at home and the Mac is at work, but I only look at SMC during my lunch hour :D

Honest!

TIA
FWIW, my Mac started giving me the same problems, couldn't get new posts, etc. I installed IE 5.1.6, Defragged with Norton, and ran Disk Doctor. No more problems!:D
Don't know which one fixed it and don't care!:confused:

Matthew Curley
03-23-2003, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Paul... I'll try when I get back to work...