PDA

View Full Version : First Lathe projects

Doug Mason
03-05-2009, 8:41 PM
New at this--am mainly learning to turn spindles at this point. Here are a couple projects. The first one is a county candle holder of Borg red oak--the finish is a stain & glaze followed by waterlux.

Then there is a stool - all lathe work. The legs are doug fir (painted with an imitaion milk paint) and the seat is redwood (oiled).

You'll notice the hole in the seat where I drilled too deep. Oh well! But having done this initial stool, hereafter they will be much better.

Also in the picture is the Shop Master--a ruthless, relentless, overbearing merciless boss whose only concern is the bottom line; I nearly avoided the sting of his whip for drilling that hole through the seat.:)

curtis rosche
03-05-2009, 8:44 PM
nice boss. how was the pine to turn, any trouble with tear out?

David Christopher
03-05-2009, 8:46 PM
Doug, your projects are very nice. looks like you are getting the hang of it pretty quick...I think I would have bored the other three holes all the way through so it would look like I meant to do it..... and a pretty cute little boy also

tim mathis
03-05-2009, 8:47 PM
welcome ,
everything looks good to me. i let my boss watch cartoons and he is much nicer to me . sometimes
tim in ohio

Steve Mawson
03-05-2009, 9:15 PM
Good little boss you have there. Thought the stool looked very nice. I assume all four spindles were done without a copier. Also agree on the holes, make them all the same. Probably no one here that has not had the same thing happen to them. Those that haven't just haven't drilled enough holes.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2009, 9:15 PM
Nice work on both pieces Doug! I see what you mean about the boss - looks like he is going through your work looking for problem areas!

Bill Bolen
03-05-2009, 9:58 PM
Beautiful work and a handsome apprentice! I agree about boring through with the other two holes or just cutting a plug into place. The exposed tennon was favored for a long time...Bill...

Rob Young
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I've seen stools where all four show and they wedged the tennon.

All good! Keep the TV tuned to SpongeBob Squarepants during your next management negotation session. Should help your bargining position.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Good looking boss there. Looks like in the second picture he is telling you get off the computer and get to work.:cool:;):rolleyes::D

Great looking pieces.

Paul Atkins
03-06-2009, 1:35 AM
I like the single hole - says Handmade! Wouldn't think a copier would be needed for four legs. Spindle work usually doesn't get the respect it deserves. Keep it up!

Doug Mason
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
thx for the kind words. Overall, the spindle work is straightforward--I just need alot more practice at it to devolope my skills and an eye for proportions.

I found that the doug fir, if it was tight grained--it turned very well. In fact I had great results using it; however, on the pieces where it wasn't tight-grained, I had tear-out despite sharp tools.

I can see where a duplicator would come in handy--but I know nothing about them.