PDA

View Full Version : Another wooden sphere question: drying

Caleb SimonyiGindele
03-05-2009, 8:24 PM
I have a piece of hard maple cut down last fall that has been drying as a square blank for about 4-5 months now. It is 6" x 6" x ~9" long and has no checking (I sealed the ends)

I would like to make a wood sphere out of it now. Can I turn it and then use cellulose sanding sealer? Will that prevent cracks from drying? Or should I give it a year or two before I use the wood? Obviously i can't rough turn and do the DNA trick: it's going to be solid, I just need a finish that will slow the drying process the same way the end-sealer does.

Thanks,
Caleb

curtis rosche
03-05-2009, 8:37 PM
you can do the dna with this, you just need to let it soak for longer. i did this with a couple chunks cause i was to lazy to cut the blanks and i didnt have any sealer. so i just put them in dna. took it out when i was ready to do something with it.

Caleb SimonyiGindele
03-06-2009, 1:13 AM
Interesting, I hadn't thought the DNA would be effective for stuff over 1" thick.

Thanks,
Caleb

curtis rosche
03-06-2009, 6:55 AM
yepp it is, it just takes alittle longer to get through and to dry. but it works. it takes a good bit longer to dry, but that is why you rough it when you take it out, that also makes it so you turn the wood while it is "lubed " by dna, which makes it more fun.

Larry Marley
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I recommend you use a blank that is bone dry.
Even if you avoid checks, continued drying after you turn will distort your sphere.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree with Larry. I think even if it is only slight wet it will still move on you. Been there and even with DNA soak it will move.

Gary Chester
03-07-2009, 12:38 AM
I like the concept of DNA but I'm not sure about how "deep" it goes...

Caleb SimonyiGindele
03-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the input, I guess i"ll just have to be patient!