PDA

View Full Version : Focus and phony-raster

Dave Johnson29
03-05-2009, 8:20 PM
Hi All, This may have been discussed before but I had a job that I vector burned on wood but the customer wanted thicker lines. I estimated the time and cost to raster using 6pt lines and he fainted, well not really, but close too. I had a wild hare and decided to burn a sample using the beam waaaaaaaay out of focus. I set it to 1-1/2" below focus then cranked the power up by about 4-times. Bingo, vector speed and raster line width. Happy customer.

James Rambo
03-06-2009, 9:51 PM
Dave, No picture it didn't happen

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Dave, No picture it didn't happen

Man you guys are tough. As luck would have it, yesterday I did not get to switch the laser on so it is still setup for the out of focus burn.

I will get a piece of MDF, pine or something scrap and correct that oversight. :) Stay tuned...

Can't use the actual artwork as it was a little risque. :p

Dan Hintz
03-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Can't use the actual artwork as it was a little risque. :p
We promise to only read the article ;)

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
We promise to only read the article

Yeah right Dan, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn going cheeeep :D

I went out to the garage to do it and it is 37 degrees out there. What happened to Spring???????? Came in to get a vest and jacket and now too comfy in here to venture out at the moment.

Can't even encourage the pup outside. Smart pup that!

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2009, 1:05 PM
OK, here's the samples on some particle/chip board.

Bear in mind the one I did for the customer was varnished wood so the smoke damage was not there and the edge was surprisingly clean.

First image in focus is 120 Pulse Width, 254DPI and 42 cm/sec

Second image 1-1/2" below focus is 550 Pulse Width, 254DPI and 42 cm/sec

Both took the same amount of time.

John W. Love
03-07-2009, 1:19 PM
Honest, I only get Sawmill Creek for the articles. I NEVER even noticed there were pictures. :o

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2009, 1:28 PM
Honest, I only get Sawmill Creek for the articles. I NEVER even noticed there were pictures.

You have been consorting waaay too much with Mister Hintz! ;)

I only read the recipes.

Bill Cunningham
03-10-2009, 9:12 PM
Just after I got my laser, I was still using the pantograph for some items that could not be engraved on the laser.. I found a focus depth, and speed/power combination to vector perfect grooves in acrylic masters that would fit the pantograph stylus..

Roy Brewer
03-11-2009, 5:22 PM
.. I found a focus depth, and speed/power combination to vector perfect grooves in acrylic masters that would fit the pantograph stylus..Bill,
A similar use of the principle: I make chocolate molds with three layers of 1/8" acrylic. With a bit of "fiddling' to get the Contour just right on the different layers, perfect "bevel" to release the product.
"Secret:" between .5" & 1" out of focus(depending on the desired angle)!

Bill Cunningham
03-12-2009, 8:54 PM
Bill,
A similar use of the principle: I make chocolate molds with three layers of 1/8" acrylic. With a bit of "fiddling' to get the Contour just right on the different layers, perfect "bevel" to release the product.
"Secret:" between .5" & 1" out of focus(depending on the desired angle)!

I'd have to get a box of samples of that chocolate, just to study the technique of course :rolleyes: