PDA

View Full Version : G0691 Assembled

Jeremy Rayburn
03-05-2009, 7:33 PM
So UPS Freight called me on Tuesday to schedule my delivery, and they were supposed to bring the saw to me Thursday afternoon since I was off of work. So imagine my surprise when I pull up to my house Wednesday night, and see my saw sitting in my driveway. No one home and no one signed for it. I later found out it had been there since 1pm and I got home at 7pm. Thank goodness it didn't rain, and it didn't walk off. There wasn't any damage to any of the boxes either, so I took pics and started assembly.

It was boxed up pretty well, and considering the last couple things I've gotten from Grizzly were damaged in shipping, I was very happy. Assembly was pretty straightforward, and I did it by myself. I did have to build a "temporary" mobile base to move the cabinet around, but it wasn't too bad considering the weight. The riving knife was bent enough to interfere with the cut, so I bent it back, and am having Grizzly ship me another. The only adjustment I had to make was the fence, as it off of parallel by about 1/8" front to back. I've only made a few cuts so far, but it is sweet. Cut through hard maple like butter.

Craig Johnson
03-05-2009, 7:46 PM
Hi Jeremy.
Nice saw!!
Id be a bit pissed off if I showed up at 7 and my saw had been there since 1.
The last thing anyone needs is an advertisement that you have expensive tools at your place.
Glad all came out well.

Jim O'Dell
03-05-2009, 7:49 PM
Good news! You best be glad I don't live near...might not have been there!! :rolleyes:
Good to hear another positive post about this saw.
By the way, what mobile base are you going to use on it? Will you build in capability to hold the tool cabinet as well?
Congrats and enjoy it! Jim.

Jeremy Rayburn
03-05-2009, 8:41 PM
Not sure how I'm going to do the base yet. I want the cabinet there, but an extension bar that feeds to the table legs will get in the way. Gotta do some brainstorming....

David Christopher
03-05-2009, 8:55 PM
Jeremy, nice gloat..and a good looking saw...is that the blade that came with the saw ????

Jeremy Rayburn
03-05-2009, 9:00 PM
If I took that blade off, then you would see the blade that came with the saw!

Mikail Khan
03-05-2009, 9:00 PM
Congrats on the new saw.

Give us an update after you have used it for a while.

MK

Bruce Page
03-05-2009, 9:07 PM
With a shinney new WoodworkerII, too!
Congrats

Jude Tuliszewski
03-05-2009, 9:09 PM
Sahweet....:) getting a good deal on used WW stuff is nice but there is just something about getting a brandy spankin new machine :p. Happy cutting.

ed vitanovec
03-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Thats a nice gloat and glad to hear everything arrived in good shape. I too would be concerned about the way your saw was delivered. I'm about to pull the trigger on a grizzly saw too and would not want delivery done like this.

Regards!
Ed

Jeremy Rayburn
03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I notified Grizzly and they weren't too thrilled. I got a email and a phone call apologizing for UPS just dropping off the saw, and they said they would be looking into it.

Jim O'Dell
03-15-2009, 1:46 PM
OK, Jeremy...you've had almost 2 full weekends to play with said saw. What are your on going impressions? Find any quirks yet. Anything better/worse than you expected? Jim.

Jeremy Rayburn
03-18-2009, 3:45 PM
First off, I'm not very hard to please when it comes to a new tool, and so far I haven't found anything to complain about. I had a Ridgid TS3650 preivously, and this Grizzly will eat it alive. Fence is great and easy to adjust, the table is nice and flat across the wings, I really like the extra space the extension table provides (as I use it more for assembly than ripping). Runout was .001, fence was slightly out of parallel, but easily adjusted. I guess my complaint so far is that the fence measuring tape has already began to come up in some spots towards the extenstion table, so I may look into getting a new one of those. I would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a new cabinet saw.

Jack Roberts
03-18-2009, 5:45 PM
Congrats on your new saw. I'm anxious to hear more about how you like using it. This is the saw I am looking to buy.

Jim O'Dell
03-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Jeremy. Glad you are enjoying the saw! Seems that there are several upgrading from Ridgids to this saw. I think I will eventually become another one. :cool: Jim.

William Long
03-19-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm ordering mine in a week or two!

Rob Cooper
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Grizzly just added a few more pictures of this saw on their website. The riving knife setup looks pretty convenient. It really looks like a nice saw all around. Now, do I upgrade my ts or jointer first?:confused:

Jim O'Dell
03-19-2009, 10:47 PM
William, act NOW!!! The shipping just dropped....2.50. :rolleyes: Actually, shipping did drop from 146.50 to 144.00. Just noticed that when looking at the added pictures. They show the trunnion assembly twice. I take it they are proud of it? :p
I don't remember the riving knife and splitter being gold in color before...I thought they were black. Anyone remember? Looks like anodized aluminum from the current picture. Jim.

Chip Lindley
03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
A Brand New machine is always cause for some HoopLaa! The biggest cause for GLOATING here is that the TS arrived in FINE condition! No dents, rust or broken CI! Yay! WTG Jeremy! You got LUCKY!!

george wilson
03-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Glad your saw was o.k.. I recently got a very expensive custom made Standel amplifier. The owner of the company told me how 1 had been ruined by being left in the rain by the delivery co. I don't know who delivered that one. I was sweating having ground delivery from California to Eastern Va. Fortunately,it came through fine,by UPS. Couldn't be air shipped as the J.B.Lansing original 1950's 15" speaker's voice coils get blown out by low air pressure if air shipped.

Being retired,I made it my business to be home every day till it came!!

By the way,when I taught school shop years ago,the last school I taught in was way out in the country,and got broken to fairly regularly. Probably by kids who went there.What they always stole were tools for working on cars. They had no interest in my shop's woodworking machines. There were car tools next door.