PDA

View Full Version : think this one should get a name? (critque please)

curtis rosche
03-05-2009, 7:02 PM
here is another peice of the pine i got. my teacher said it looks like it might be douglas fir. i shear cut the $&^# out of this to get it smooth with out tear out. then lightly touched with very fine paper so that it wouldnt make ridges out of the rings. this is hollowed once again using the bowl gouge. the thickness is pretty consitant between 1/8 and 3/8. but the bottom got a little deep and you can see through it if you hold it to the light.

i was thinking this one deserves a name because of the grain. it is perfectly straight, until the one side and then all the sudden one jumps out of place and does a loop. it kinda reminds me of sand dunes. what do you think

Dennis Ford
03-05-2009, 7:19 PM
WOW!
You did a great job on that. I agree it looks like douglas fir and that stuff is very difficult to cut cleanly. Thinking of names for bowls can make my head hurt, sometimes a name comes to mind, most of the time it doesn't. Douglas fir is pretty stable, you might could fit a lid/finial to that bowl.

Bill Mitchel
03-05-2009, 7:21 PM
Curtis

Very very nice, really like the shape. "Sand dunes" sounds right on the money to me. You should be very proud of this.

David Christopher
03-05-2009, 7:32 PM
I also think it is very nice and sand dunes sounds good to me....that looks like very old doug fir

curtis rosche
03-05-2009, 7:39 PM
cant get much older that 200 years, i dont think it will move. i was thinking of a finial but i wasnt sure how to make sure it fit and what wood goes best with this . sugestions?

Kirk Miller
03-05-2009, 7:40 PM
Wow you must have some kind of special relationship with that bowl gouge Curtis. You do amazing things with it. It is a beautiful piece. I am not sure what to name it but you should be proud of it.

Bill Buchanan IN
03-05-2009, 7:42 PM
I think it looks fantastic . . . no critique comes to mind. The grain makes it ... and I had the name "Sea Anemone" in mind before I saw "Sand Dunes". Does that mean a direction towards a nautical name ?

curtis rosche
03-05-2009, 8:41 PM
i dont know. yes i love the gouge, i havent sharpened it yet from the maker, just a swip here or ther a couple times to get a slightly sharper edge. the only thing i dont like is that the oneway handle is a little heavy, if you start getting into doing multiple roughouts in a day, the arm supporting the end of the tool gets worm out, but i guess its just exercise. the gouge is the only bowl tool i have, right now i dont have any hollowing tools, i am hopping to make a couple of these to seel and then use that money to buy some more tools.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2009, 9:20 PM
Curtis - I am amazed that you can hollow as much as you do with just a bowl gouge! Very nice work - seriously! As far as a name - I did the same thing as Bill and thought of a Sea Anemone because of it's shape and opening. Once again - nice work and best of luck finding a suitable name for it!

Bill Bolen
03-05-2009, 9:54 PM
Great job Curtis! Its hard to believe that you can get soooo much done with just a bowl gouge and no hollowing tools. I'm impressed...Bill...

Paul Gallian
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Curtis,

This is really pretty! Someday you will have books on the market.... showing your techniques and work completed...

Keep spinning the wood..

paul

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Great looking piece Curtis. What are whining about a handle being to heavy. Shoot you are a young man.:eek:;):rolleyes::cool: Wait till you get old like me then complain.:D:D

Dewey Torres
03-06-2009, 12:41 AM
"Shock Waves"

I was careful not to read the other posts so I could be sure I came up with what I thought it looked like. Kinda like the way an earthquake works.

curtis rosche
03-06-2009, 6:51 AM
good idea Paul . i should write a book. but it think i would have a lot more to learn first. it is interesting if you have the time, to try hollowing using the gouge, you have to cut in one direction so that you can cut in the other direction. it is quite fun, and with this so far i havent gotten any catches or anything else that people complain about when doing hollowing.

Jeff Nicol
03-06-2009, 7:22 AM
Curtis, I enjoy your youthful approach to this wonderful hobby of ours! With your tenacity and desire to accomplish things shows you have a true love for the lathe! Your HF is special in many ways and the grain tells us a story of the past, so they look like the sedimentary layers of the earth for every year that has passed through " WIND WATER and TIME" the sediments of life. I thought this was a good name as the timber is old and you are young and together with the time you put into its creation made it so.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff

George Guadiane
03-06-2009, 7:47 AM
Curtis

Very very nice, really like the shape. "Sand dunes" sounds right on the money to me. You should be very proud of this.
How about "Cut From Sand Dunes," or "Turned From The Ocean Floor" because it almost looks as if the ripples are applied to the surface - which is really cool!

Cody Colston
03-06-2009, 8:40 AM
Wonderful piece you turned, Curtis. I am also amazed that you are able to do that with only a bowl gouge.

As for naming the piece, "ripples" came immediately to mind.

Reed Gray
03-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Nice piece Curtis. I would doubt that it is Doug Fir, although it looks similar. More likely to be southern yellow pine, which looks very similar. They probably wouldn't have shipped fir from here in Oregon to PA 200 years ago. It is a western tree.

To keep from getting the bottoms too thin, you have to determine the bottom depth first, and remember to account for the recess or tenon. I noticed the piece you broke the other day was a bit thin as well. Get that measure, and leave some room for the 'oops' factor, then finish the rest of the inside. You can use a small ruler and sight across the top, then hold it up to the outside, or your finger, or a pencil, or any of a number of measuring things. I really don't like going through the bottoms of a piece.

robo hippy

Dean Thomas
03-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Love the piece, love the wood. I agree with the probably yellow pine. OLD yellow pine.

I also like the idea of the sands being seen in the grain. "Duned?"

I think you're "duned" to make a lot more really nice stuff! :p

Jeff Nicol
03-07-2009, 5:51 AM
Curtis, I wrote up a long post yeserday and must have goofed up when I posted it. But your little HF is great and the grain is very becoming. I was thinking that since the wood is old and you are young it bridges the gap in time. So I came up with:

"WIND, WATER, and TIME the sediments of life....... This is because the grain looks like the layers of sediment put down in lakes and streams over time from the wind, erosion and natural events. Maybe I am being to philosphical about the whole thing but that is what I thought when I first looked at it.

Great job,

Jeff

curtis rosche
03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
well i think Jeff N. won the best name.

i am pretty sure this is not yellow pine because it is not yellow by anymeans, it is actually pink when i turn it, like the color of the inside of your mouth.

Jeff Nicol
03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Curtis, The earth is our provider and it gives us things for a reason. Wood is such a wonderful thing that can be used for everything and anything! So the name I came up was inspired by that. I believe the wood to be Douglas fir, as it was a very common wood used for beams and construction materials. It also has the look of Tamarack with the grain, but not used as much in construction. Yellow pine is much harder than the firs and the pinkish hues is yet another vote for Douglas fir. Keep up the good work and continue to grow as a turner!

Have a great day!

Jeff

Jon McElwain
03-09-2009, 7:58 PM
Nice bowl! I agree with the lid or finial idea. I made several HF's like this a while back and ended up putting contrasting lids on all of them - they really made the piece. You can always take the lid off if you don't like it. you can "accessorize" with several lids even! I'd turn several for practice - try rosewood, purpleheart, bass wood, cherry, etc for contrast. On the HF's that I did, I made very thin low profile lids just to give the piece contrasting color. if you could find a piece of anything with a different color heartwood or outer growth rings, you could incorporate the two colors into the lid.

You're book should have a bio about having turned all your life with only one tool!

Also, I love to see a series of forms from turners as they experiment with similar woods and forms. You could call in the "Strata Series" or "Dunes Series" or "Wind and Earth Series" to take a couple from others.

Again, nice work!

Craig Powers
03-09-2009, 9:24 PM
Curtis. Really nice looking piece. Nice shape, beautiful wood.
How do you hollow with just a bowl gouge? What kind
of tool rest are you using? I would really like to be able to
do that using only a gouge. Any tips are appreciated.
Good job.