PDA

View Full Version : hollowing tool

Ron Kinel
03-05-2009, 6:34 PM
I bought a Termite hollowing tool made by oneway I never did any hollowing before can anyone tell what angle it will cut the best. or could it be the wood I am using Its a oak crotch

Brian Brown
03-05-2009, 6:43 PM
Ron,

Goto http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/termitervu.html There is a picture showing the angle of attack, and a video with a tool demo. Also, they are shipped sharp from the factory. I am currently waiting for one of my digits to heal from carelessness.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2009, 7:16 PM
Ron - one other thing - it is my understanding that the tool is designed for use with end grain. It may not work as well as expected it you were cutting face grain. IMHO

DON PENCIL
03-05-2009, 7:56 PM
Made to be used on end grain bowls, platters, and the like.
Not for use on hollow vessel.
Many, Many other tools for hollow form that will work much better.
Termite works very well when used on end grain open bowls.

Don

Robert McGowen
03-05-2009, 8:37 PM
I have one of the termites and have used it a few times. As has been stated, it is an end-grain tool. Don't try it out on your best piece of wood right off, there is a learning curve and a couple of catches are sure to happen. As I remember, it cut best when the tool rest was above center and the cutter was held at a slight downward angle.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2009, 11:43 PM
One of the keys that Robert hit on was your tool should be slightly above center. I use mine all the time and it is for end grain work.

Ron Kinel
03-06-2009, 8:57 AM
tHANKS FOR THE INFO. iT LOOKS LIKE i BOUGHT THE WRONG TOOL witch tool should I buy for hollow forms

Gary Max
03-06-2009, 9:08 AM
Wish I had a buck for every time a turner said those words--

--"tHANKS FOR THE INFO. iT LOOKS LIKE i BOUGHT THE WRONG TOOL "

Frank Kobilsek
03-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Ron,

I don't do alot of hoolowing but the collection of Don Pencil and Trent Bosch tools I have mounted in a homemade captured rig are very effective.

Look at Jamison and Jordan tools too.

Enjoy the adventure, a few mistakes along the way are part of the learning. Remember 'the definition of experience is failure'.

Frank

Brian Brown
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
iT LOOKS LIKE i BOUGHT THE WRONG TOOL

Don't panic about the wrong tool yet. The termite is designed for endgrain cutting (wood in endgrain orientation), but I find that it does work in sidegrain for hollowing. I don't get the super smooth no sanding finish, but it does cut, and I can do the touch-ups with a scraper. I also can't do the swan neck thing yet. I thought about making a swan neck for the tips, but in my feeble mind I see some angle of attack issues by doing that. I still have a low experience level with it, but it is a good tool. If you make cups, goblets or other forms with straight sides, it is a good tool. My tool budget is nonexistant, so I make do as much as possible with what I have.

john taliaferro
03-06-2009, 1:29 PM
The monster:d