PDA

View Full Version : Festool Tools w/ Fein Dust Collectors

Todd Pretty
03-05-2009, 3:50 PM
I was planning on purchasing a Fein Turbo II for my business as it is considerably quieter then the Festool CT33 and I dont currently have and Festools.

However, as orders for custom millwork and furniture grow, I'm now considering the Domino over a regular biscuit jointer. Will this work with the Fein hose without a need for adapters?

Anyone recommend the CT33 over the Fein Turbo II for any specific reasons?

Thanks

Fred Hargis
03-05-2009, 3:56 PM
I don't know about the Domino, but the Fein small hose fits right into my Festool TS55 hose fitting

Jerry White
03-05-2009, 4:33 PM
I own and use both the Fein Turbo II and the Festool CT22. The Fein works well with the Domino, but the hose requires and adapter. No big deal, as it is an easily available Fein adapter and sells for just a few dollars. I would recommend either of these vacuums.

Andy Pratt
03-05-2009, 5:43 PM
I'm using a turbo III with a rotex 150 and the adapter is well made and fits the stock fein (small) hose very well, it also appears as though it would fit other items fairly easily as well.

One major consideration here is that if you plan to use the vac with festool sanders, the fein does not have a built-in variable suction. I understand the festool vacs do, and you adjust it along with the adjustable speed on the sanders to match up correctly. Without this feature, you can have too much suction, which causes the sander to vibrate excessively. The simple solution to this is to drill some holes in your hose adapter to reduce the suction to the appropriate level. I did this and it works fine, but if you want the best matchup, the festool vac might be a better option.

I know you didn't ask about sanders, but it's related to the long term utility of which vacuum you select now so I figured you might find it useful.

Andy

Charlie McGuire
03-05-2009, 5:48 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the new Fein II had variable suction adjustment. Am I wrong about that ?

Chris Padilla
03-05-2009, 6:09 PM
The Festool vacuum on high suction can actually seal the sander to the work making moving the sander difficult and hence why you can get the vibration. Now my F vacuum stays on max about 98% of the time but I have had to turn it down a bit on some sanding situations....

chris dub
03-05-2009, 6:11 PM
All three of the new Fein's do. All three of the old ones don't. The new ones also have capacity up to 19amps.

Dan Lee
03-05-2009, 6:14 PM
I have both the CT33 and a TurboIII. I think the Fein isn't as loud as the CT33 but the CT33 has more suction than the Fein. When I dail the CT33 down to what seems like about the same suction than the noise level is about equvilent.
Funny thing -- I have vacuumed up small small off cuts of wood and the CT33 bag ripped because the cut off was sucked in so hard

As was said Fein sells an adaptor that fits the Domino. Or the thinner Festool hose fits the TIII. I generally user the TIII and the Festool hose with my Domino.
I prefer the CT33 for for floor cleanup although capacity is smaller than the TIII. I like the bags on the CT33 better.

I think they are both good machines

Chris Tsutsui
03-05-2009, 6:32 PM
Good comparison, now I'm leaning more towards the Festool. I'm thinking the Festool will probably have a better resale value if something better and quieter does come out...

What I don't like about storing my rigid shop vac is I can't put anything on top of it because the top is curved like the Fein. Thus storage isn't as convenient for it. The Festool is box shaped and has more visual appeal.

You do gotta pay more for it though... :(