PDA

View Full Version : Steps for gluing-up a table top

Brian Hughner
03-05-2009, 3:16 PM
Hello!

I've been a lurker on the board for a while now, and have enjoyed reading and learning from you guys for the past few months. I'm an Engineer by day and a woodworking hobbyist by night (and weekends!) and have really enjoyed learning new techniques and skills (and buying more tools!) with each new project.

I'm in the planning stage of a new project and have a question regarding how to go about gluing up multiple boards to make a table top. The table top is to have a final dimension of 37 inches long by 12 inches wide, 1 inch thick. I am planning on making the top out of three boards that I am preparing from rough lumber. In my shop I have, among other things, a 6" jointer, 13" planer, band saw and table saw.

My plan of attack for the top is as follows:

1. Re-saw my three pieces for the top from rough lumber on band saw.
2. Face joint each piece then edge joint.
3. Rip each piece on table saw to rough dimension.
4. Plane all three boards to rough thickness, leaving them a little thicker than final thickness.
5. Glue-up the three boards, aligning top edges as best as possible.
6. Run glued-up table top through 13" planer to get to final thickness.
7. Cut on table saw to final width and length.

Does this sound correct? My assumption is that it will be easier to get a flat table top planing them to thickness after the glue-up then doing it before and trying to align the top edges during glue-up.

If it matters the wood is cherry with another table made out of maple to possibly follow.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Matt Day
03-05-2009, 4:15 PM
What is/are the sizes of the rough sawn lumber you'll be starting with? The reason I ask is that you said you'll resaw on the bandsaw. When I hear resaw I think about bookmatching or cutting veneers.

So if you resaw rough lumber on the bandsaw (can I assume you have a piece of 12/4 to make (3) 1" boards?), I think you'll find it tough on the saw. I think it will be easier and you'll produce less waste if you have two sides of the board jointed (the side on the table and the side on the fence).

Gluing up a table top is a good application for biscuits too, not to add strength but to help align the boards.

Other than that I think you're on the right track.

Tony Bilello
03-05-2009, 4:42 PM
Remember to reverse the direction of end grain on the boards so the top doesnt want to cup.

I am not into bisquits. Tried them about 25 years ago when they were the latest rage and was very disappointed.
Table tops have lasted hundreds of years without them and today's glue is even better.

Brent Ring
03-05-2009, 4:49 PM
I am not into bisquits. Tried them about 25 years ago when they were the latest rage and was very disappointed.
Table tops have lasted hundreds of years without them and today's glue is even better.

I have had good luck with biscuits for alignment purposes. Just make sure they are positioned well so when you cut to size, you don't expose them. :eek:

Glue alone is good enough tho!

terry hansen
03-05-2009, 6:44 PM
don't forget cauls to hold boards flat in vertical dimension especially when gluing 3 at once, as stated biscuits or loose tenons or even a spline (long biscuit) really helps hold boards "even" so long dimension slippage doesn't happen during clamping. Do a dry fit so you know where all clamps etc need to be for easy grabbing. have fun

Josiah Bartlett
03-05-2009, 7:25 PM
Presuming you do resaw the rough lumber, joint at least one edge of the plank (the one that will be riding on the bandsaw table) before you make the boards. That makes it much easier to resaw a flat board.

Brian Hughner
03-06-2009, 9:10 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. I've done some biscuit work on other projects so I'll be doing that on the table top to help with alignment. I may also do the glue-up in stages so I don't have to align all three boards perfectly all at the same time. I'll do a dry run as suggested with the biscuits and see how she looks.

Thanks again for the help!