PDA

View Full Version : Is Jet out of touch?

Robert Parrish
03-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I just received a new JPM-13 Planer/Molder from Amazon. While unpacking it I discovered an instructional video for the machine - in VHS format!!! I have no way of looking at the video since I haven't had a VHS player for 10 years! I called WMH and got the usual run around. Customer support blames tech support and they blame the factory in Taiwan. I'm not sure what is on the tape so I guess I'll have to pay to have it copied to DVD.

Chris Tsutsui
03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
This happened to my dad and he ended up forking over $200 at best buy for a VHS/DVD recorder. Now he can convert his huge stash of VHS tapes to DVD.

If you want a VHS player, I'd check craigslists because people are always getting rid of them.

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2009, 1:49 PM
I just received a new JPM-13 Planer/Molder from Amazon. While unpacking it I discovered an instructional video for the machine - in VHS format!!! I have no way of looking at the video since I haven't had a VHS player for 10 years! I called WMH and got the usual run around. Customer support blames tech support and they blame the factory in Taiwan. I'm not sure what is on the tape so I guess I'll have to pay to have it copied to DVD.

I already converted mine to DVD ($20 dvd player in the shop to play CDs/mp3s and WW instructional videos). I will copy it for you if you want. PM me your address and I will get it out to you.

Mikie

Jim Kountz
03-05-2009, 2:03 PM
Geez man you can get a new VHS player for like $20 at Wally World.

Robert Parrish
03-05-2009, 2:11 PM
That's true Jim, then I would have another piece of junk in my garage!

Jeffrey Makiel
03-05-2009, 2:18 PM
Wow.

They may have it on disc, but it may be a ViewMaster disc. :)

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/31QPb2BOXdpL__SS400_.jpg

Paul Atkins
03-05-2009, 2:26 PM
The Salvation Army here has had lots of vhs players for 5-10 bucks.

Myk Rian
03-05-2009, 2:31 PM
Just go here and pick whatever demo you want. Not quite the same, but it's something.
That is pretty cheezy of them.
http://woodworking.jettools.com/Media.aspx?nav=InteractiveDemos
Here's another one on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7q3lpw_XLM

Robert Parrish
03-05-2009, 2:40 PM
I already checked all those resources, Myk.

Bruce Page
03-05-2009, 2:59 PM
I had a similar problem with my Omnijig, I wanted to refresh my memory on it but its original video was VHS. I contacted Porter-Cable and they said “sure, we’ll send you a DVD, no charge!” A week later I received another VHS. I had a friend rip it onto a DVD for me.

It’s the thought that counts.

keith ouellette
03-05-2009, 3:17 PM
Pawn shop.

Ron Bontz
03-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Hey Jeff. That was a good one.:D

Mike Langford
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
.....You mean there's yet another format other than VHS?.....

.....I've got to start getting out more!

Don Abele
03-06-2009, 12:31 AM
The Navy still used 8mm tapes to distribute our morale movies to the troops. Which is funny because we actually get them about two or three months before they are released to the public on DVD. Apparently, it takes long to burn a DVD than it does to copy to 8mm??? :p

Oh, and I still have several military training videos on BETA!!! :eek:

Sometimes things move at a slower pace for some groups.

Be well,

Doc

David DeCristoforo
03-06-2009, 10:45 AM
No. I contacted Jet and was assured that they still have plenty of touch. Not to mention a warehouse full of VHS tapes they can't move....

Don Orr
03-06-2009, 8:00 PM
I got a 10" slow speed sharpener (read Tormek type) for Christmas. Nice unit and I did get the DVD instructions. I just wish they had an actual insruction MANUAL that I could have with me in the shop to show how the various jigs work (I haven't used them all yet) without having to go back in the house to check the DVD. The good part of the video is the demonstrator-Ernie Conover ! If it's good enough for him, it's sure good enough for me.

No manual online-I checked:(

Mike Heidrick
03-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I got a 10" slow speed sharpener (read Tormek type) for Christmas. Nice unit and I did get the DVD instructions. I just wish they had an actual insruction MANUAL that I could have with me in the shop to show how the various jigs work (I haven't used them all yet) without having to go back in the house to check the DVD. The good part of the video is the demonstrator-Ernie Conover ! If it's good enough for him, it's sure good enough for me.

No manual online-I checked:(

Man, i got you guys all covered in this thread. I will post up the Tormek manual for download here in a couple minutes. I will also try and post up the Jet Video after I encode it.

Mike Heidrick
03-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Tormek Manual PDF (http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tormek.pdf)

Try that link. Save it once it opens. Let me know if you have issues.

Mikie

Norman Pyles
03-06-2009, 11:22 PM
.....You mean there's yet another format other than VHS?.....

.....I've got to start getting out more!
Me too.....:)

Bob Genovesi
03-07-2009, 7:30 AM
I had my VHS converted to DVD for my Leigh dovetail jig. Now I play it on my laptop in the shop...

Don Orr
03-09-2009, 2:36 PM
That worked great-very helpful-much appreciated.

Jim Becker
03-09-2009, 9:27 PM
That particular machine has been around for a very long time...you could have been really lucky and gotten the tape in Betamax.... :D

Russ Massery
03-09-2009, 9:34 PM
I had the very same machine. I put the video on DVD. If no one comes though I send you my copy. I upgraded awhile ago. It's just laying around collecting dust.

Robert Parrish
03-10-2009, 9:15 AM
Thanks Russ, Mike is sending me a copy.

Robert Parrish
03-10-2009, 4:48 PM
Mike, I received the disc today. Thanks I appreciate it very much. A little gift coming your way!