PDA

View Full Version : Dremel Contour Sander

Dan Mages
07-16-2004, 8:42 AM
Amazon is selling Dremel's contour sander for what appears to be a rather cheap price. Has anyone here used this tool? Is it worth $50?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000302XT.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Dan

Tony Sade
07-16-2004, 9:33 AM
Dan, and quite frankly, I use the profiles without the sander a whole lot more than I use the sander with the profiles. If I had to do it over, I'd probably just get a set of Tadpoles and forget the sander. Of course, I also have a Fein MM so I don't need use it as a small detail sander with the flat pad either. Cheers,

Greg Heppeard
07-16-2004, 9:53 AM
When I got my first Dremel contour sander, I thought it was great, then, within a week, the motor burned up. I wasn't using it heavily. I took it back and got it replaced. The second one burned up in less time. I then got the Porter Cable model. The motor still works in the PC, but I have ended up just grabbing the profiles and using them by hand. I do use the PC with the flat pad occassionally but I'm glad I don't have the Dremel anymore.

Tony Sade
07-16-2004, 10:59 AM
That the motor burned out in mine after some hard, but by no means, excessive use on a couple of projects.. Dremel replaced the unit even though it was out of warrantly. I haven't used it enough since the replacement to burn out the motor in the new one.

Frank Pellow
07-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I have one and I used to use it a LOT. I thought that it was because of the heavy use that the motor burned out. But, now I realize maybe not.

My motor was replaced under warrenty and new motor has lasted about two years (but I am not doing a lot of woodworking right now, so the sander has not had much use in the last year).

Dan Mages
07-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Hmmm.... although this is a small sample, there seems to be a problem with the motor. I will pass on it. Thank you for the info!

David Klink
07-16-2004, 1:39 PM
I'd debated buying one of these since I saw it in Lowe's awhile back. This makes that decision that much easier for myself as well.

Howard Rosenberg
07-16-2004, 4:36 PM
Couldn't resist chiming in.
My observations are sort of related to what seems to be everyone's experience with their Dremel contour sander.
I've got a VS Dremel unit.
I like it. A lot.
Mostly, I cut bolts, rods and metal things with it.
I've sanded with it - not bad, those really small drums are handy.
I've polishd metal with the polishing tips - neither here nor there.
But....
If I'd known then what I know now?
I'd have bought a die grinder.
That's right - a full-size, heavy-duty, great big honkin' die grinder!
Why?
More power! (you mean there's other reasons I need to add?)
With different chucks and collets, there's NO limit to what you can do when it comes to ANY kind of work.
In hindsight, that's what I would've done.
So? How does this relate to the contour sander question?
Dremel products are EXTREMELY light-duty (think Dremel versus Foredom).The P-C VS contour sander seems more robust...
My humble opinion.
Howard (very very cranky today)