PDA

View Full Version : Dowel Centering Pins >1/2"

Jim Eller
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I have looked every where for a dowel centering pin set that goes above 1/2" but can't seem to find anyone that sells them.

I'm trying to do some 3/4" dowel matching on some vise chops so I can add a removable piece above the chop.

Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks,
Jim

Bob Vallaster
03-05-2009, 1:01 PM
Jim,
I have some 9/16 and 5/8 center transfer plugs, but I can't recall their source. If you can't find them, there are work-arounds.
1) I have made my own from wooden dowel, mounted in a chuck and center-drilled for a brad. This presumes you have a wood lathe.
2) You can use a bushing to take up space between the hole's diameter and the 1/2 plug available to you. The concentric bushings which come with every new grinding wheel will do nicely. The bushings are available as a set from most traditional hardware stores. You will probably have to use two (3/4od x 5/8id and 5/8od x 1/2 id) for each 1/2 plug.
3) If (big IF) the 3/4 hole is a through hole, you can clamp your undrilled piece to the piece with holes, set a forstner bit in the drilled holes and tap lightly---the centering point will make a mark. You could dispense with the marking and just proceed to drill.

Good luck
BobV

Paul Atkins
03-05-2009, 2:30 PM
You can turn aluminum and brass on your wood lathe - make your own for any size you need.

Tom Esh
03-05-2009, 4:51 PM
Lee Valley:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44995&cat=1,180,42288

Jim Eller
03-05-2009, 8:03 PM
The lathe thing is out.

Tom - That's my problem. Half inch is the largest I can find.

Jim

Doug Hobkirk
03-05-2009, 9:43 PM
On the off chance this applies and you didn't think of it already...
Have you already drilled the holes? If not, drill 1/2" holes, use your /2" markers, and then drill out the holes to the desired size.

Clint Schlosser
03-05-2009, 9:46 PM
There is no way to ensure each hole will line up if you start with 1/2 and then make them bigger. I would just find a friend with a lathe or one of the above mentioned solutions.

Dave Verstraete
03-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Jim
Try a google search for "blind hole spotters" . I found a brand called Spellmaco at a website that goes to 1". Production Tool Supply has them in their catalog.

Jim Eller
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks.

I did the search for "blind hole spotters" and came up with what I wanted.

But,................ the six pack was $8.59 and after a nice chat room session with Ashley I find the S&H was $15-$20!

Needless to say, I'm still lookin' for alternatives.

Jim

Brian Kerley
03-06-2009, 1:48 PM
Go to mcmaster. Type in "bushings" and go to drill bushing and liners. Go with 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, however long you want. Shoudl be just under $7. Put your center in the bushing, press teh bushing into the hole, and you'll have it centered up.

UpdatE:
Or, you could use a flanged sleeve bearing Bronze, flanged, 1/2 ID, 3/4 OD, 1/2" long,.... $0.80 per. That looks to be your cheapest and concentricity probably will be pretty good on something like that.

Jim Eller
03-06-2009, 2:58 PM
[quote=Brian Kerley;1073917]Go to mcmaster. Type in "bushings" and go to drill bushing and liners. Go with 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, however long you want. Shoudl be just under $7. Put your center in the bushing, press teh bushing into the hole, and you'll have it centered up.

Brian,

Maybe a dumb question, but I don't see how those would identify the center point on the opposing piece.

Jim

Brian Kerley
03-06-2009, 3:04 PM
[quote=Brian Kerley;1073917]Go to mcmaster. Type in "bushings" and go to drill bushing and liners. Go with 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, however long you want. Shoudl be just under $7. Put your center in the bushing, press teh bushing into the hole, and you'll have it centered up.

Brian,

Maybe a dumb question, but I don't see how those would identify the center point on the opposing piece.

Jim

You go get the 1/2" dowel center, put that into the bushing, put the bushing into the hole. It's a way of getting the 1/2" dowel center, centered in the large hole.