PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Costs

Ed O'Neill
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
It has been many years since I purchased an outboard motor (last was a 140 Evinrude VRO). I recently bought a boat without an engine so as not to inherit any problems. BIG MISTAKE on my part. I usually investigate things thoroughly but I didnt. I was looking for a 200 to 225 Yamaha. Since when did outboards outprice automobiles. Sixteen to Twenty Thousand were the estimates. I sold the boat. What makes an outboard so expensive ? Ed

Angus Hines
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
LOL I just did this ..... Twin 200 hp HO's Evinrudes ....OUCH !:eek:

But 44knts puts me on the fish first.:D

Mike Wellner
03-05-2009, 2:15 PM
Precison machining and casting, raw materials, electrical components plus assembly labor. My two stroke Yamaha 50 was $4300.

Chuck Nickerson
03-05-2009, 2:29 PM
At some point, didn't the law require all new engines be 4-stroke?
That makes them more expensive.

Dane Allen
03-05-2009, 2:55 PM
Living in America makes them expensive. Just look at perscription drugs and clothing as another example.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2009, 3:10 PM
I have one that cost me $189 new, a 1.2HP that I use on the canoe.:eek:

I thought that California only had severe smog laws that does allow 2 stroke engines but they have to produce like 90% less smog, so very expensive to build.

randall rosenthal
03-05-2009, 4:20 PM
i have an old rude 2.3 i paid $100 for at a yard sale. runs fine but has no neutral or reverse. luckily its on the inflatable. i just crash into my destination.

i also have a boat with twin inboards....the price of new outboards is outrageous.

Angus Hines
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
My new Rudes are 2-stroke and Certified for California emissions...So I guess we can blame the 'Country of California' for the additional costs.

michael dombrowski
03-07-2009, 11:57 AM
It has been many years since I purchased an outboard motor (last was a 140 Evinrude VRO). I recently bought a boat without an engine so as not to inherit any problems. BIG MISTAKE on my part. I usually investigate things thoroughly but I didnt. I was looking for a 200 to 225 Yamaha. Since when did outboards outprice automobiles. Sixteen to Twenty Thousand were the estimates. I sold the boat. What makes an outboard so expensive ? Ed

I would imagine that it is because inboards and I/Os are essentially standard engines (ours was a modified Chevy) tweaked for marine use whereas outboards are completely new designs. That and they usually are much more compact for a given horsepower which also means higher engineering costs, harder to machine, etc.
mike