PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see this?

Matt Ranum
03-05-2009, 9:39 AM
There is an auction for "Grandpa's Tool Box" over on the bay, Item number: 250382233516

This stuff makes me sad in a way, a man's life/hobby/tools that he obviously cared about just put up for the highest bidder. Shouldn't bother me but sorta does.

george wilson
03-05-2009, 9:46 AM
Well,what else can they do with it,really? Unless he was a very famous craftsman,it wouldn't be going to a museum. And even if it was,It might not be properly taken care of. Unless it is a special museum,tools are very low on the totem pole in most museum collections. Shouldn't be,but it's true.

At least someone will continue to use the tools.

Matt Ranum
03-05-2009, 9:59 AM
Yeah George you are right of course, I'm just in one of those moods today I guess.

Its all good.;)

Ben Rafael
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Hopefully someone buys them and enjoys them. That is my hope when I go, hopefully 50+ years from now.
You cant take them with you.

John Powers
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Interesting assortment in a way. Very functional. No big planes. There's a blue thing in the center of a frame that tooks like the tool you use for six siding a spar or oar loom. Probably isn't but looks like one. I'll bet he was a handy practical guy.

Justin Green
03-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I thought about this a lot when my grandad passed and it is sad. He wasn't the best carpenter or furniture builder. His idea of "finishing" something he built was staining it. He never took anything past that point. I'm sure he's getting a big kick watching me fumble around with his hand planes. My cousins took many of the old tools, but i know they will never use them, and that's fine.

The best thing that can happen to those tools on ebay is for someone to buy them to use.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Hopefully someone buys them and enjoys them. That is my hope when I go, hopefully 50+ years from now.
You cant take them with you.

If planes don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they go.

jim

george wilson
03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
My wife is going to have a marathon yard sale when I croak!!

Bill Houghton
03-05-2009, 1:28 PM
Would have been fun to talk to the guy and find out what he did.

David Keller NC
03-05-2009, 1:54 PM
Guys - One thing to realize is that there's a lot of shysterism on the bay. I can't count how many listings I've seen that claim that they're "just selling Grandpa's tools", when they've got a selling history that's more consistent with a dealer.

I certainly don't know the truthfulness of this particular ad, but there's a good possibility that this isn't actually one craftsman's tools - it's an assemblage of whatever the seller couldn't get rid of (i.e., no bids) thrown into an old toolbox and offered up as a "set". I'm not sure why it matters that it be a "set" of tools if there's no provenance or owner's stamps, but frankly, the ad looks suspicious to me.

John Powers
03-05-2009, 4:09 PM
Looks fishy to me to but I wouldn't buy grandad's anything. We know what that lot would go for on Ebay not a fortune but the braces would cover the initial cost. Evenso, at a yard sale fine but through the mail no way.

Quesne Ouaques
03-07-2009, 11:41 PM
I certainly don't know the truthfulness of this particular ad, but there's a good possibility that this isn't actually one craftsman's tools - it's an assemblage of whatever the seller couldn't get rid of (i.e., no bids) thrown into an old toolbox and offered up as a "set".

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. I've seen lots of stuff that is being offered by an "amateur" seller, when in fact it's being sold by a dealer.

Frankly, $200 seems a very steep price. The only things of potential value that I can see are a few chisels, the hammers, some measuring/marking tools and (maybe) the spokeshaves.

Ben Davis
03-08-2009, 12:11 AM
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. I've seen lots of stuff that is being offered by an "amateur" seller, when in fact it's being sold by a dealer.

Frankly, $200 seems a very steep price. The only things of potential value that I can see are a few chisels, the hammers, some measuring/marking tools and (maybe) the spokeshaves.
And the two Disston saws that you can't buy any more.