PDA

View Full Version : Peter Elliot Selected to Beta Test the Ultimate Router Table

Keith Outten
03-05-2009, 6:53 AM
Chris Brown of Quality Grinding and Machine has designed and built the Ultimate Router Table. Their design includes ideas that came from Members of this Community and they are still listening to what you have to say.

This ain't cast iron boys and girls its a one piece machined steel table top with a custom cabinet and a router raiser!

Chris is looking for someone to beta test his new router table, this is a golden opportunity for one of our Contributors to get involved in the pre-manufacturing stage of one of the best router tables in the business. Once it is launched I predict there won't be any router table in its class.

Quality Grinding and Machine will pay all shipping costs to deliver a brand spanking new router table to your door. All you have to do is use the machine for a few weeks and let them know what you think by writing a detailed review and share it with us here at The Creek. QG&M is looking for an experienced woodworker to provide an honest evaluation of this machine before it goes on the market and the lucky guy or gal that is selected gets to keep the machine.

How Do You Volunteer?

It's easy, just post in this thread and provide us with some information about yourself, hopefully enough info that Chris can determine who would be the best candidate. If you have been a woodworker for 20 years and have extensive experience using router tables it might be something you may want to share :)

So have at it folks, start typing and make those of us who aren't selected envious of the brand new machine you will be using in your workshop for years to come. Oh, if you have any questions lets have em, right here and now!

Below is some eye candy to get you to start typing :D

You must be a SawMill Creek Contributor to be a candidate to beta test this machine.
Registered Members can get in on this offer by making a donation to SawMill Creek and become a Contributor. It's painless, click on the DONOR link on the blue menu bar.

Keith Outten
03-05-2009, 6:55 AM
Here are a couple more pictures, it will look better in your workshop!
Lets get this done, I already placed an order for one of these router tables and I can't get it delivered until the beta test is finished, so help me out :)

Ken Massingale
03-05-2009, 7:05 AM
I've been woodworking for about 9 years, only did decks and home improvement before that.
I am now retired and am doing woodworking daily. I am finishing the cabinets and worktables in our new shop and have several projects for the house lined up.
I use my tablesaw extension mounted router daily. I would certainly make use of the Ultimate Router Table daily doing all sorts of routing, dados, edge routing, raised panels, etc.
Thanks for the opportunity. That RT is a beauy.
Ken

Gene E Miller
03-05-2009, 8:42 AM
Greetings & Salutations,

I am a retired truck driver that has been doing wood working off and on for almost 50 yrs. I have done extensive remodeling work as well as building a number of furniture pieces such as solid cherry cedar chest, clocks, cutting boards, beds and entertainment centers.

I am about to embark on a project that will rebuild all my own kitchen cabinets which would include over 25 feet of lower as well as upper cabinets.

I have been limited in my router table to a bench top table that I got from Rockler and the use of my routers as hand held units. I have been holding off on the construction of a stand alone table in anticipation of the one from Quality Grinding and hope that maybe I might be selected as one of you lucky beta testers.

I appreciate the opportunity to submit my name as a possible selection.

Gene Miller

Rick Moyer
03-05-2009, 8:59 AM
I'm going to be realistic here and say that of the large membership at Sawmill Creek it is going to be a hard choice to find the right person for this offer, and I'm not him. However, I hope this works out for Chris and the lucky person. It certainly looks to be an awesome table. I hope whoever gets this will do a terrifc job in aiding the design and overall function of the router table. Good luck to all.

Myk Rian
03-05-2009, 9:01 AM
I'm not interested in testing it, but if I may, I would like to add a little critique. If you think this is wrong, please delete this post.

Drop the "Ultimate" tag. Everybody and their brother/father/mother claims to have the Ultimate RT. It really is tiring hearing all that. I see nothing to warrant that claim.

It is big and heavy. A small shop would not have room for it (such as mine).

There is no storage space. The stand takes up a lot of room, and offers nothing to make up for it. I like storing my bits and push blocks, etc. in my cabinet. Keeps it all close to where the work is.

There is no router access underneath. You can remove a router from the top with finger holes in the insert, but what if it's a 3 1/2 hp monster in there?

Just a few points I noticed.

Chuck Saunders
03-05-2009, 9:21 AM
Let me in my most reserved tone say ME! ME! Me!. I have been a woodworker for the past 30 years. I have recently acquired my wood to participate in the Morris Chair project (better late than never). I have the cast iron extension wing router table for my table saw but I do find it lacking in accessibility.

I am glad to do anything I can to speed Keith's order along.

Thanks
Chuck

Rob Russell
03-05-2009, 9:29 AM
I'm not interested in testing it, but if I may, I would like to add a little critique. If you think this is wrong, please delete this post.

Drop the "Ultimate" tag. Everybody and their brother/father/mother claims to have the Ultimate RT. It really is tiring hearing all that. I see nothing to warrant that claim.

It is big and heavy. A small shop would not have room for it (such as mine).

There is no storage space. The stand takes up a lot of room, and offers nothing to make up for it. I like storing my bits and push blocks, etc. in my cabinet. Keeps it all close to where the work is.

There is no router access underneath. You can remove a router from the top with finger holes in the insert, but what if it's a 3 1/2 hp monster in there?

Just a few points I noticed.

Interesting comments. It looks to me as if there is an access door on the size. Look at the first pic in Keith's second post.

I would agree with the storage space. It would make sense that there are drawers in the cabinet for storage.

Rob Cunningham
03-05-2009, 9:31 AM
I would also be interested in giving this RT a test run. I have been woodworking for 25 years and have a part time business making custom furniture. My work ranges from small tables to bedroom sets to large built-in cabinetry.
I use my homemade router table at some point on every project, mostly for raised panel doors, but also for decorative moldings and table edges.
It would be nice if the base the router table had some storage drawers or cabinet incorporated into the design.

Craig Coney
03-05-2009, 9:44 AM
I would like to offer my services to evaluate the "Ultimate" Router Table.

I have done professional woodworking and millwork for over 15 years and am primarily a hobbiest at this point. I have built my own router tables and plates, as well as purchased some of the so called "top of the line" tables.

I have also worked with manufacuters, engineers, and designers refining products to take to market.

Myk Rian
03-05-2009, 9:55 AM
Interesting comments. It looks to me as if there is an access door on the size. Look at the first pic in Keith's second post.

A door in the front would make it accessible. A side door would be very difficult to access with that huge top.

Paul Greathouse
03-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank You for this Beta test opportunity,

I have been in woodworking for 20 years. I have always been a shift worker at my regular job which allowed me to work for a housing contractor on my days off. After working for the contractor I got out on my own doing small additions and remodeling jobs. Those type jobs usually involved alot of finish work. Eventually my work progressed to mostly cabinets and trim work.

I started out routing hand-held for simple edge profiles then purchased a little cheap Sears router table when I wanted to start making cabinet doors. Next I built my own New Yankee Workshop style router table and equipped it with a Benchdog Lift & Porter Cable 7518 router. I do everything from simple edge profiles & dado's to panel raising & jointing on it. It works good but I have been wanting something that is easier and quicker to set up because I use such a variety of bits.

I am presently doing a major remodel on my own home which involves alot of built-up moulding. I am making all my own moulding about half of which is profiled on my router table and the other half on my Shop Fox Planer/Moulder. My next project will be a new set of kitchen cabinets, so I will need to make raised panel doors and do a good bit of dados for drawer parts along with more built-up moulding for trim out.

I would appreciate the chance to beta test your new table, it looks like a really slick setup. I enjoy doing reviews on tools. I have done several on the Eurekazone and Grizzly tools I have purchased since being here on the creek for the last 3 years. Right now I'm in the process of shopping for a Delta Versa Feeder for my router table but it would just as easily mount on your table.

Paul Fitzgerald
03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow! That's just fantastic. Whomever gets chosen will be one lucky Creeker!

My father has been a cabinet maker for over 30 years, so the woodworking bug naturally rubbed off on me. When I was a kid, I'd hang out at his cabinet shop and watch while they made custom kitchen cabinets. And I'd get up early on Saturday mornings to watch Norm, the guys and gals with This Old House and Hometime.

Fast forward 15 years or so to when I bought my house. With the available space and never ending home projects, I started procuring my own tools. First there were the small power tools like Drills, Circular and Reciprocating Saws, and Sanders. Then there was the tiny Table Saw and the cheap Compound Miter Saw.

Eventually, those baby tools grew up a bit and I began making things like Patio Planters made from Western Red Cedar, Candle Centerpieces, and Gift Boxes. I still consider myself a bit of a newbie simply because I haven't yet tackled the creation of a full sized piece of furniture, but my next project should kick me in the right direction.

My wife and I are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. And before you ask... no, I'm not building all new cabinets. :) Because my wife wants painted cabinets, I'm simply going to build all new doors and drawers to attach to the existing cabinets.

We have a relatively small kitchen, so there's going to be 20 frame and panel doors and 8 drawers. Every door will be machined with a Rail & Stile Bit Set (http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=91-505) from Infinity Tools. Once that's done, we'll be doing the same to 6 more doors and 7 more drawers in the bathrooms. So my router table will get quite a workout, considering my status as a "hobby wood shop".

I'm sure there are others here with much more experience, a bigger shop, or who deal with a far greater volume of projects... but I figured I'd volunteer nonetheless. Hey, if you go read some of my posts, you'll probably think to yourself "man, this guy sure has an attention to detail one may label as perfectionistic or maybe even anal retentive." :o Could be just what you're looking for in a reviewer. :D

Anyways...

Thanks for listening. And good luck everyone! This sure is a great opportunity!

Paul

Douglas Brummett
03-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Holy smokes, what a cool opportunity for a lucky creeker!!!! :eek:

Toss my name in the hat. Some tough competition here already and we are only a few hours in.

About me:
I have been woodworking since Jr. High. School projects were mostly small scale and gift items. Once out in the real world I got into saltwater reef keeping. This necessitated learning a thing or two about cabinetry and of course adoption of my first router/ router table. It was a Ryobi and in all it's glory it allowed me to see just how useful a router could be.

Fast forward to last summer. We had just purchased our first home. Having a general distaste for cheap furniture at inflated prices my wife and I decided it was time to step up to fine woodworking and furniture building. I upgraded to a more powerful router and a cast iron extension wing. Once again my routing experience was improved. The table was flat and solid, a far cry from the Ryobi.

Okay, so I am not an experienced fine woodworker. Why should you pick me to evaluate your machine?
1) I am an engineer by profession with experience in technical writing and reviews.
2) I spend several hours a day online discussing tools, processes, and woodworking (google my name and you will find me :))
3) I have several projects in the direct future, 1 in process currently, that could really put this tool through its paces (drawers, raised panel doors, face frame, and trim work)
4) I would really appreciate the tool. It would be going to a good home where it would see years of service and care.

thank you for your consideration :cool:

Wes Billups
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
A little about myself first. I started woodworking when I was 13. My dad had the common homeowner/farm tools. By 14 I’d convince my parents I was mature enough to get a table saw. As money would allow I kept adding tools to my collection. My first router table was ½” MDF with a Craftsman router screwed to it. I clamped this to a workmate. Once I had enough money I bought a Craftsman router table as this was the only thing which fit my lone router. After using this for 8 years I decided I needed something better. I actually liked the MDF board more than that Craftsman. In 2000 I built a free standing router table based on others I’d seen on the web. Unfortunately it’s the type with a ton of table surface behind the plate for mounting an Incra fence. Needless to say I didn’t use an Incra fence so the table doesn’t work the best. In hindsight I should have built one similar to Norm’s design.

I actually saw this table at the Woodwerks show in Columbus, OH in January. I looked it over quite a bit and was very impressed. I've been wanting to build a second router table as I'm starting the largest project I've ever done this spring. My wife and I are going to replace our kitchen cabinets. I've been getting tooled up over the last couple of months and the only items left to get are the second table (optional) and an edge sander as we're going to be using recessed doors.

I've purchased a power feeder in January that I plan on setting up on the new router table which will be used for raised panels as well as stick cuts. The current router table will be used for cope cuts only as the particle board top would never handle a power feeder without significant modifications.

One of the things I really liked about this table was the fence. I just upgraded my current router table fence from a homemade version to the Jessem last year and have been very happy. Chris' table uses the Jessem fence which I have zero complaints. Plus I'd just bought the power feeder and my wife wouldn't have been too happy as she knows I already have a router table. She just doesn’t understand you need a table for every router.

Thanks,
Wes

Lee Schierer
03-05-2009, 1:10 PM
Wow, what a nice table. I would love to test it.

I've been woodworking for over 30 years and am currently just starting a project that will require considerable rotuer work, a corner entertainment center with sliding rasied panel doors, edge faced plywood and some edge treaments.

By profession I am an engineer and have done a significant amount of technical writing and materail/product/equipment evaluation for my various employers.

My current router table is homemade and I have noted several short comings that will get altered in the next revision. Specifically my current design lacks router lift and the fence leaves a lot to be desired for accuracy, ease of precise adjustment and dust collection.

I'm located near Erie, PA. My website shows the variety of my woodworking projects. Lee's Wood Works (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/index.html)

Bill Wyko
03-05-2009, 1:36 PM
I'm probably to late to get in on this but I do very intricate router work that would put the accuracy to the test. On my 2do list are 3 Humidors and some teak built in cabinets plus a Lowboy, so a nice variety of ways to test. Here's an example of some double box joints I've done and some wood hinges. It would be an honor to experience such a fine table. A little history of my wood work. I've been jurried into the top 10 art shows inthe USA put on by Judy Combs and I do a variety of work including turning, cabinets, Exotic Humidors and just about anything someone could request. In addition I have severeal routers including 2 PC 7518's and a few others I could swap in. I also regularly write reviews on cigars so I have a little experience in the review end of things as well. I was a framer for 8 years and have done fine woodworking for around 15 years now. My contributor status should show up shortly, I just submitted it .Thanks for the opportunity for one of us.

P.S. I just got the mother load of exotic woods that would love to take a few laps on your fine table.:Dhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105934
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/21650512/356777210.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/21650512/356777203.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/21650512/356780340.jpg

Jim Kountz
03-05-2009, 1:47 PM
Ok why not, i'll give this a shot.
I started in the business about 25 years ago working as an apprentice with my fathers company. Back then we did everything from cabinetmaking, carpentry work repair to interior and exterior trim elements. We made our own shutters for the old homes we worked on using nothing more than a handheld router and a home made jig. The shop continued to grow over the years and we finally moved out of our original 18x24 building into the new shop which is now all mine (Dad retired) and is a little over 1400 sq ft altogether.
These days I am a general contractor but I also offer my customers the advantage of custom millwork and cabinetry to set their homes apart from all the cookie cutter McMansions they build these days. I still do alot of custom work and the occasional piece of furniture. We have used routers and router tables extensively over the years and Im currently using a "New Yankee Workshop" clone. Its served me well but I have been thinking of building a new one for some time now. There are quite a few mods I would make to my next table and I have compiled a short list starting with dust collection at the top of that list. The fence would be the next area of improvement and finally some sort of mobility. It would be nice to be able to move it easily about the shop.
So there you have it, thats me in a nutshell. If Im chosen Im sure I can provide an unbiased, fair evaluation of the table and maybe offer a few tips at the same time.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jim

Stephen Edwards
03-05-2009, 2:07 PM
At this point, I'm not qualified to test it: my skill levels aren't up to par with many other, much more qualified woodworkers than I. But, I sure do like that table!

Bill, your boxes would certainly be a good test of this table.

An an OP suggested, a door for the router chamber and storage in the cabinet would surely be helpful. It needs a door kind of like the base of my G0555X BS. That was the first thing I noticed that seemed to be missing. Access to the router from underneath is very important to many woodworkers, as is storage space for folks with a small shop.

Am I correct in assuming that the cut out for the router lift will accommodate different lifts that are on the market? I think that's very important, too, from a marketing standpoint.

Also, it would be nice to have some scales as reference points for the fence. The table may already have that engraved into the top and I just can't see them.

It's a gorgeous piece of equipment! Well done. Best wishes with this new product!

Sincerely,

Phillip Bogle
03-05-2009, 2:51 PM
I am retired and very interested. My background is in graphic design, and advertising. I can write about it and tell you the pros and cons, BUT only from an idiot-newbie-I don't know how this works sort of perspective. If you are looking for a very skilled operator I am not the guy. I have a RT1000 out of Canada loaded with a Bosch or Triton router ( I have both) so as far as "needing" a new table that would be a lie. However I can tell folks what they will experience as a very unskilled operator trying to get class work output.

I was and still am very frustrated trying to get quality work off my table when there are so many possibilities for output and limits of machines. I may be more picky than some and not as much as others. I do want precise cuts and stable, repeatable work.

VERY NICE looking machine!

Art Mulder
03-05-2009, 2:59 PM
Drop the "Ultimate" tag. Everybody and their brother/father/mother claims to have the Ultimate RT. It really is tiring hearing all that.

This.

I also get rather tired of any magazine, manufacturer, whatnot, putting out something and labelling it with "The Ultimate ___"

Now, on the organization/rules/administrative side of this event... I'd like to point out that I am a resident of Canada. There are many people on SMC who are not residents of the USA. Now I know that there is very little chance that Chris Brown is willing to send this to a Non-US resident. Aside from any border hassles, there is also increased shipping, brokerage fees, duty, and so on.

It would be proper, and polite, to clearly list that this is restricted to US-residents if that is the case. If it is not the case, then I'd like to see that clearly spelled out as well.

thanks
...art

Bill Wyko
03-05-2009, 3:22 PM
Art I humbly disagree with your analogy of "ultimate" It seems to me that this was the goal in designing and building such a table. When doing very intricate double joints, the biggest issue I run into is very slight variations in my table. Even though it's 1.25" thick it still has slight variations and has developed a very minor sag. For almost anything else it'll never be an issue but for very intricate work the "ultimate table" would be dead flat and stay that way. I also think being able to use magnetic devices really takes it to a new level as well. I don't think the goal here was to make a "Better than average" Table. I think the ultimate table was exactly what the goal was. Thanks for your opinion though. No disrespect intended what so ever.:)

Don Bullock
03-05-2009, 4:54 PM
How Do You Volunteer?

It's easy, just post in this thread and provide us with some information about yourself, hopefully enough info that Chris can determine who would be the best candidate. If you have been a woodworker for 20 years and have extensive experience using router tables it might be something you may want to share :)...

I would humbly submit that a true test of this router table would be for someone like myself, who has very little experience with a router table, be selected to test it. A rather novice router user like me would be a better test for this tool. If the table is as good as it is claimed t be someone like me should be able to use it easily with good results.

A little background on me may help--I returned to woodworking several years ago after being away from it for about 20 years. It's a hobby that I enjoyed back then, but for various reasons turned to other things. When I started approaching retirement I decided that I wanted to do some woodworking in my leisure time and so I started accumulating the needed equipment (minus a good router table) and have built a shop building next to our new "retirement" home. My experience with routers and router tables is rather limited, but I'm more than willing and able to learn. As for writing skills, I have authored quite a few articles for professional educational publications and have also published articles in my other hobby breeding/raising/showing basset hounds.

Yes, I'd love to test your table and critique it for you.

Chris Padilla
03-05-2009, 6:12 PM
I don't know nuthin' about anything so don't pick me unless you want to see how much sawdust it can make or how clogged I can get the motor....

;)

Bob Rufener
03-05-2009, 6:23 PM
I am certainly not at a skill level to effectively evaluate this table. It looks great! In addition to the access door, is there any dust collection accomodations? A storage drawer would be good. Is there something available to store a collet wrench(es)? Also, many of us have limited space in our shopes. Casters would be a big plus for many of us (if nothing else, as an option). If will be interesting to read comments of the tester. Is there any guesstimate as to the selling price for this table?

Stephen Edwards
03-05-2009, 6:24 PM
I would humbly submit that a true test of this router table would be for someone like myself, who has very little experience with a router table, be selected to test it. A rather novice router user like me would be a better test for this tool. If the table is as good as it is claimed t be someone like me should be able to use it easily with good results.

Though I do understand your reasoning in regards to a novice testing this new table, I think that the test would be better served if someone with a lot of experience and advanced skills with a router table does the test. They already know what a good RT should do, how it should perform for different operations, etc. A highly skilled RT user with years of experience under their belt will be able to give a more complete review of the pros and cons of this table and to make accurate suggestions for improvements of the design.

No disrespect intended at all. I'm simply addressing what I perceive to be the purpose of this test.

Kind Regards,

Mike Goetzke
03-05-2009, 8:16 PM
That thing really looks nice - even the paint job and logo. I'm just wondering about steel as opposed to cast iron. I have heard CI will get surface rust and steel will get deep pits. That's why so many old CI top table saws clean up so well even if they have been abused and left unattended. Do you plan to treat the steel in any way?

I have been woodworking as a hobbyist since I was a teenager (almost 40 years ago). My first tool was a Craftsman router and one of those Hirsh router/circ. saw/jig saw tables. I then had a router in the right wing of my Ryobi BT3000. All adjustments were required under the table. Then I bought a Craftsman 22124 hybrid - built a router table in the wing with a RouterRazer. Next, and hopefully next to last, I purchased a Unisaw and put a big router in it with a real lift.

I have built lots furniture and cabinets for my wife and our 5 kids over the years and every once in a while build dovetail drawers and raised panel doors and the such for a friend of mine in the home remodeling business. You URT would be a great addition to my shop.

Mike

Steve Clardy
03-05-2009, 9:12 PM
Sure. I'll test it..

Short note about me.

Been cutting wood since I was 16. Started in high school.

I've done most all of the processes, from cutting timber, milling timber, to the final project. Went full time finally.
I am currently self employed, in the business since 1993.
I do custom kitchen and bath cabinets.
I also specialize in staircase work. Curved rail, straight rails, whatever it takes.
I make a lot of my custom staircase parts.
I stay busy with kitchen cabinets mainly, more jobs around in cabinets than staircases.
I make all my own cab parts. Doors, drawers, etc. I do not outsource any wood product for cabinets.

I run routers almost everyday.
I currently have two dual router tables that are solely for cabinet work.
I also have 3 other smaller router tables that are mainly dedicated for cabinets.
I have two 3hp shapers for larger milling.

I operate out of a 3500 sqft shop, here at home on my property.

I'd sure give this new router system a hard test.
No problem getting machinery unloaded into my shop.

Rob Sack
03-05-2009, 9:13 PM
I have been a professional woodworker for almost 26 years. During that time, I have used on a regular basis, hand held routers and for many years built my own router tables. I currently use a Jessum table which is an improvement to the shop built units I had been using. I would like to see if a more substantial unit is available and would be very interested in product testing other units. I have a large shop and would be glad to test the "Ultimate Router Table."

Brian Kent
03-05-2009, 9:16 PM
I could give a clean evaluation unhindered by knowledge, skills or experience.;)

Matt Campbell
03-05-2009, 9:18 PM
Hmmm, where to start on the many reasons why I should be the beta tester?:D

I've been woodworking for the past 5 years. It started as a hobby that I learned from my stepfather and has kept growing once I bought my own house and got my own shop. Now I have started woodworking full-time, and I love every minute of it. Since I do it full-time, I'd actually be in the market for the Ultimate Router Table so I could offer feedback that possibly hobbyists couldn't. Currently I use my router table for many different tasks ranging from dovetail keys, drawer bottom grooves, profiles, cope and sticking, and many others. Also, I'm definitely within driving distance of the company so I could just drive down and pick up the Ultimate Router Table. :D

Rob Damon
03-05-2009, 10:30 PM
No doubt from looking at the pictures it would be a high end super heavy duty router table, that anyone would certain like to have over many of the lighter duty tables.

Might be interesting to have someone who has and regularly use a full size cabinet shaper and run the comparison to that as a low cost alternate to a full size shaper setup.

Not sure on the pricing as whether the marketing should be toward the "high-end" "ultimate" router table or to an viable economical alternate to a full size shaper. It certainly looks like it has the beefyness to handle a 1 hp powerfeeder.

Rob

Ron Bontz
03-05-2009, 11:52 PM
I would be flattered to beta this router table. After about 30 years or so of self taught butchering of wood I am on my 3rd router table top. I do have a shaper of course, so that may play in to my thoughts on marketability. I also have to admit I do already have some thoughts on "pros and cons" and possible changes already just staring at the pics. (A lot of staring going on with a little bit of thinking and drooling.) A couple of questions as well. Is the front slot a t slot or another miter slot? Also what is the depth front to back of this top? Last but not least, if I determine it is just not the top for me and there is someone in my area that would like to test it as well, must be a contributor as well, I can simply put it in my pick up and off it goes to another test site. Other than that I can only offer my honest thoughts and/ or opinions. Thanks for the opportunity.:)

Don Abele
03-06-2009, 12:07 AM
You think Chris would be willing to ship it to an FPO address in the "sandbox"? No? Me neither. Once again, wrong place at the wrong time.

Best of luck to all eligible and congrats to the lucky devil that gets this in their shop.

Be well,

Doc

David Christopher
03-06-2009, 12:13 AM
been wood working for a lot of years except when deployed to Irac but Im home for good now and have plenty of time to test and would love to have somthing that nice in my shop

Mike Heidrick
03-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Lets try a different strategy for a potential bid in the beta tester contest.

First I have a tractor with a loader with pallet forks to SAFELY unload this machine and reload it SAFELY back into a freight vehicle.

I have a large detached shop with plenty of space in which to house this awesome machine - easy access - no risk of stairs or steps to get it into a shop. It is well lit and I have a couple different digital cameras to take pictures or video of my review.

I have about 500bdft of red oak, 150 of cherry, and 100 bdft of maple dried on racks in the shop acclimated and ready to be used with the router table.

I have a 5625 Milwaukee router and a Dewalt 618 router ready to install in it.

I also have a 1hp feeder that could be installed on it if you will let me.

I have several cabinet door profiles and a ton of routerbits that can be used to put it through its paces.

I have both a cyclone and a single stage dust collector and a shop vac to test dust collection of this machine.

I have built two different router tables myself in the past and now have a woodpecker table and Incra LS fence with woodpecker dust collection and a Kreg stand to compare this new machine too.

I have experience doing tool reviews for the adjustable clamp company and also have written a blog on the Dewalt site for a contest for them. I will sign an NDA if needed. I have also demoed my sawstop for college mechanical crews and their associated deans.

I would also be in a position to buy the router table if you would rather go that route.

Other than that I am a hobby woodworker who mentors with a parttime cabinet maker here in central IL. I am also the current secretary and upcoming president of my local woodworking club.

Above all I just came in the house from using my router table on a bookcase just now.

Thanks for the consideration.

Mike Heidrick

Keith Outten
03-06-2009, 6:46 AM
A couple points to clarify.....

If you are selected to beta test the router table it is yours to keep.

I believe the table size is 27" deep by 48" long.

Both miter slots are standard slots not "T" slots.

The base does have an access panel and most router bit changes can be done from the top depending on the router that is installed.

The steel top is welded 3/8" plate with 3/8" flat bar reinforcement, then it is machined perfectly flat. I expect it is far superior to any cast iron top and would be able to handle just about any size power feeder you would like to install.

The "Ultimate" handle was my description for this thread. I don't know what make or model/name QG&M will assign to this machine. I do know that I have never seen any machine like it, at any price.

I believe that the winner will have to provide their own router, the JessEm Router Lifter will accomodate almost any router made to the best of my knowledge.

Matt Campbell
03-06-2009, 8:14 AM
If you are selected to beta test the router table it is yours to keep.

:eek:

I would be using the 3 1/4hp Freud router in it. I mean I WILL be...:D

Ben West
03-06-2009, 9:16 AM
I am, without a doubt, the most qualified person here to do this test.

I'm not a very accomplished woodworker, and I have almost no experience with a router table (although I'm in the middle of acquiring pieces to build one). However, I can tear up a steel ball with a toothpick. If anyone here can break or otherwise screw up this table, I can!

Seriously, I can't think of a better way for a manufacturer to beta test a piece of equipment than on SMC. Already, there are many qualified people on the list. Maybe I'll be one of them someday!

Bill Wyko
03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
The suspense is killing me.:D:D:D

Gary Herrmann
03-06-2009, 3:08 PM
Interesting timing. I was just looking at router tables, as the one I currently have is a light-weight.

I don't use routers or my router table on every project, but like most I use it for a good portion of them. If selected for the Beta, this would be a good excuse for me to pull the trigger on a 3 1/4 hp Milwaukee. This could also motivate me to make more progress on the bed I'm building for my son.

I manage projects and do business analysis for a living - which means I write a lot. I'm pretty sure I can string together a few reasonably clear pages. My shop is well lighted enough that the pics should be clear. Now if only my photography skills don't blow the whole thing...

Whoever you pick will be a lucky woodworker. Let's just hope I'm a little luckier than the rest. ;)

William OConnell
03-06-2009, 3:24 PM
OK so I'm interested in trying this router table.
Ive been a professional carpenter for over 28 years. I've never done anything else but large scale home improvements and shop work. I use router tables and shapers extensively and can honestly say that I'm one of the guys that actually goes to a router table before a shaper. Even my shaper at this point has a router bit conversion collate in it.
I own 13 routers of all shapes and sizes. I also use, on occasion, a power feeder mounted to a router table extension on my 1949 Delta Unisaw (gotta love it). I use this particular setup mainly for cock beading for inset doors where precision is vital and also for hardwood casings as many of my customers live on the water on north shore of Long Island, so they can afford such luxuries.
As the shop is now, I have 1400 sq. ft. of usable space that is heated with radiant floor heat and overhead lighting that astounds visitors. This shop is attached to my home and was a great investment. There are two router tables both shop built, two shapers, and two moulding machines, a Shop Fox and an old Foley Belsaw.
Again I use router tables allot and know that its all about the jigs with these items. Box dentil crowns are a big item here and I actually make them in house. I find it much more cost effective then buying from our moulding manufacturer here on Long Island. Their overhead is just to high and mine is extremely low. I am able to simplify construction techniques where they need to train employees on moulder and shaper use as per OSHA.
I just completed building a 1200 Sq. Ft. photo shoot studio for a client. If a photo studio can be sexy, this one is, with Koa floors and white oak trim work inside, and as a store front. They still owe me money and want to barter at this point so I will soon be having them come here and photograph some of my work and shop layout for my new website. My existing one is 3 years old and needs some love. An upgrade is in order there as are my router table needs.
So, maybe this is a match, you needing a professional hands on user and myself needing a new router table.
Count me in among those wanting to be your test driver.
Some Links
http://woodworkers.us/forum/index.php?action=gallery
My company site
http://indianisland.us/

Best Regards
William O'Connell
Indian Island Contracting

Peter Elliott
03-06-2009, 3:30 PM
Chris,

Like most here, I too am interested in performing the "Test/Review" for your new product.

I am a third generation craftsman, probably fourth. I learned from an early age about quality tools make quality products. They are an extension of you, the person physically building a piece of history.

I do woodworking on a semi/full time basis as I am a full time firefighter for Washington, DC. The schedule allows me to (for the most part) have plenty of time in the shop.

I use a router table pretty much every day while making a product I sell for bagpipes. Believe me, it's not much of a business money wise and I will not get rich off this product but I keeps in the shop all year around. It keeps my skills up and I meet some great people along ride.

I also make cabinets to fine furniture. More for pleasure than business. It's not about the "green". Example: a neighbor can to my house the other week while I was planing some boards (yep, here that for miles) and was holding a kitchen cabinet door broken from his 5yr old trying to climb on the counter. Well short story was, the wife was not all too happy with him or the little one, so I stop what I was doing, warmed up the router and made a new door to match out of scrap maple. The joy in their eyes was priceless. Amazed that someone could just make door with the right profiles from scratch (it was a cope/stick freud set). He walked home with a little dixie cup of stain and poly with instructions. I.. well, humbled for what my father taught me to help others. Memory to last a long time.

Ok, off the story box. I can offer up some digital age "tools" for the review. Like a personal website documenting from delivery to start up. Photos, videos etc. I have pretty good website design background and equipment to post.

Added bonus to you Chris. I created www.ultimateroutertable.com
Ready for the Quality Grinding and Machine - Router Table Review.
Check it out, it's live!

Finally, you chose the best place to offer up such a project. No matter who it is on here, I think you'll fine a true genuine person to review your new work of art.

Thanks for the oppurtunity!
Peter

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-06-2009, 3:46 PM
I'm a field test engineer at my day job. I test and evaluate our products from the end user's point of view. So evaluating a product is not new to me.

I have 10+ years of woodworking experience building mostly furniture. I make a lot of my mouldings both for the furniture but for trim work in the house and at church.

I'm also an instructor at the American Sycamore Woodworking School in Cloverdale IN.

If you choose me as your Beta tester I would park it over at the school as I don't really have room for it in my little shop right now. This would do several things:

(1) First I'd give the machine a complete going over from a Woodworker/Engineer's stand point.

(2)You would get exposure to many woodworkers at different skill levels and we could ask them to evaluate it at the end of class. It would also be good exposure to potential customers, every student that comes through the school.

(3)The instructors all have many years of woodworking experience and could give their independant evaluations as well.

Yes the school has a couple of other router tables but they are older wood ones. This one would be king of the hill, the one everybody would want to use.

From a testing evaluation point of view this is a as good as it gets. With one machine placement you would get multiple evaluations from a wide spectrum of woodworkers. Sounds like a winning deal for both of us.

Thanks for the consideration,

David McDonnel "Mac"
Indianapolis IN

Roger Jensen
03-07-2009, 1:14 PM
Hi there,

I'm more of a candidate to purchase the table, which is probably better for you than another beta tester candidate. I don't do enough volume to qualify as a beta tester. I currently have the Veritas steel table and really like a metal top over a laminated top. It allows me to use the same magnetic jigs and feather boards as my table saw.

However, I just wanted to add my two cents to drop the "ultimate" label. Maybe this is only intended for the beta release, but I don't know of any "ultimate" product that held up over time.

Good luck - nice to see innovation in router tables! I also appreciate your participation in this forum.

rj

Ben Cadotte
03-07-2009, 4:08 PM
Here's the best part of using me for the test. I will pay for shipping! :D

Beyond the sales pitch here are several reasons I am a good candidate.

Woodworking since the 80's.
I have plenty of room in my shop.
I have a need for lots of router work this spring (trim for my entire house, 1800's colonial).
I have routers with no home.
I just ordered a new plate and was going to build my own table, this would save me the time.
I am a very advanced amature photographer with full lighting systems (flash and monolights), and can provide advertising quality pictures of the table in action. Will give you the picture rights for use as you see fit.

Last but not least. Even my mother inlaw says I am a good guy. :eek::D

James Stokes
03-07-2009, 7:03 PM
I too would be intrested in throwing my name in the hat. I have worked construction for about 35 years now. I do a fair anount of custom moldings combined with laser engraving to create unique moldings. I am just about ready to start a kitchen remodel. All of the moldings and doors Will be made on site. There will be a lot of router work involved in this project plus all of the cabinet doors, To make those a good router table is a must. All rails and stiles will be hand made and all of the doors will be raised panel doors. I can make them on the table saw but would prefer to use a router table with a raised panel kit. I would also be more than willing to write a review on the table. Who ever you choose good luck on the table, I hope you make a million dollars with it.

Gary Max
03-07-2009, 7:19 PM
I know where it can sit---heck I may just go ahead and clean the spot in my shop.
We do this woodworking thing full time making lots of custom furniture. Creating one of a kind items----custom trim and molding add that unique touch.
We have been making sawdust for about 35 years now doing it full time for the last 10 years.
I have two small high end router tables now but the pale in conparison to the one offered.
Some of our work can be seen on our website----look at our profile for the link
Thanks

Tom Majewski
03-07-2009, 9:24 PM
I'm in.

I build poorly jointed fake furniture (chairs, tables, ladders) for professional wrestlers to break over each others back on TV. Mainly put together with dowels and hot glue. I'm serious. I've been doing jobs for WWE since 2004.

I did a little comedy writing years ago for a couple local morning shows. I also had a stint in technical writing for a major gubment aerospace contractor.

I own a $7K HD video camera. I used to shoot video for a living, and can make some dandy "how-not-to's" with the router table. Plus my wife is pretty good looking and I'm sure I can talk her into wearing something skimpy on the video.

I just finished building a router table yesterday and it's lacking a few right angles and the surface isn't quite flush. But it IS good looking from a distance.

I'm not against accepting payola for a glowing review.

David DeCristoforo
03-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I would be very interested in this. I use a shaper almost exclusively in lieu of a router table mostly because i have never seen a router table that seemed robust enough to hold up under daily use in a professional working environment. I am in a position to put this unit to the test in a full time working shop. throughout my career, many manufacturers have provided me with samples of their offerings for review and many of those reviews were written up in major woodworking venues. I am currently a frequent contributor to Woodshop News and I also write a blog for them. In addition to posting my review on the SMC forum, I am sure I could publish my review in WSN as well as on the blog.

Alan Greene
03-08-2009, 12:22 AM
I would be interested in testing this. I learned to woodwork in England more years ago than I care to remember. 20 years in the military saw me moving and deploying so I did little to no woodworking. I have been getting back into woodworking just for the joy of it. Being a disabled woodworker I can give you a unique perspective. I am also working out of my garage with limited space. So now that I have talked myself out of contention good luck to the lucky tester it looks like one heck of a machine. I do have a question though. If a person has Hyperlordosis (excessive sweating) will the stainless steel top stand up to the sweat better than the CI?

Bill Wyko
03-08-2009, 1:58 AM
No matter who is granted this opportunity, there's some great history on so many talented woodworkers. Good luck to all. (Just realized, my 3000th post)

gary south
03-08-2009, 7:07 PM
First all thank you for providing us this oppurtunity to beta test your router table design.

I would be very interested in beta testing the router table.

I have been doing wood working for over 20 years and the past 6 years I have been running my own professional custom cabinetry business, GW Custom Woods.

I have had 3 router tables in the past and was not satisfied with any of them at all. I have 5 shaper tables were I do all of my profiling though it is very hard and expensive to obtain certain profiles and with a router table you are able to expand your profiles selections.

The thing that I like about your design is that the set up to me looks like a shaper table. That alone interests me as I find that shapper tables are alot more precise and they have the weight that provides the ability to add feeders.

Chris, I am certain that I would provide you the information that you would be looking for from a full time shop advantage.

Thank you for your consideration.

Gary Ward,

GW Custom Woods

Ellen Benkin
03-08-2009, 9:39 PM
I am a Sawmill Creek contributor and also the President of the Cerritos College (California) Student Association of Woodworkers. If you want this to be torture tested by a variety of people, the woodworking program would like to volunteer. We can almost guarantee use and abuse.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-09-2009, 8:28 AM
I'd be glad to beta test a unit.
About me? I'm just a country Lawyer ex Machinist Toolmaker, ex Engineer in prior lives who has a serious addiction to woodworking as a hobby and am lucky enough that my time spent some many years past in a commercial custom furniture shop never ruined it for me.

As an aside. A three station unit might be very useful.

Brian Kincaid
03-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I do not want to Beta test this router table.

Why? Because I just ordered a custom designed stand-alone table for the Incra LS positioner from Quality Grinding.

Thanks Chris!
Brian

Keith Outten
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Brian,

I'll have to file a complaint with Chris. I have to wait for the Beta Test and you got your order in already.....it just isn't fair :)

John Danner
03-09-2009, 1:13 PM
I am interested in being a beta tester. Why me? I am a clean slate, no decades of experience to taint my judgement. I can tell you how easy it is to set up and use for a newbie. A shaper is an item I would pay a premium price for and I have had little desire to put up the money for a high end router table. Prove me wrong. Plus I have a father in law with 30 years experience looking over my shoulder who can help me verify the quality of the table and offer reasons why no such device is sitting in his shop. It does look great, just out of reach for this guy right now.

Paul Steiner
03-10-2009, 9:04 PM
I would like to test this at the high school I teach at. We use the router a lot. I currently run two tables a 3.25hp and a 1.5hp. The school has my students build projects and it always involves 1 of the router tables. Cabinet doors, picture frames, all sorts of moulding, dados, and edges on everything. I have built 3 router tables, the last one I built is 28" by 36" with a router razier and frued fence. My colleagues and I definitely have an eye for machine quality, we all service machines at school and at home shops.
Last week my students ran about 300 feet of picture frame stock, I ran 180 feet of 5.5" crown molding. I think my school would be a good test site, school is one of the most abusive environments.

Chris Rosenberger
03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I would be glad to test the router table in my shop. I have been woodworking since JR High School. Wow, that is over 40 years. I have been using router tables for over 30 years. I started out with a small Craftsman router table & currently using a shop built table. I have 4 shapers in the shop, but use the router table on almost every project. There are a lot of cuts that cannot be done on a shaper as well as they can be done on a router table.

Bill Wyko
03-11-2009, 4:23 PM
The suspense is killing me. :D:D:D:D HAHAAA

phil harold
03-11-2009, 4:44 PM
I am on my fifth router table
in the 80s I used a Craftsman
then I purchased a makita tablesaw with a place to mount a router, this became my router table for many years, When I got Rousseau table saw stand I used it alot more and started making cabinet doors and raised panel wainscoting on jobsites.
then I needed one at home and purchased a bosch one
but it di not see big enough so I would use one in a counter top screwed to saw horses
now I built one that I can swap 3 routers into so door style and cove router bits can stay in two of the routers and just drop them in when I need them
I love routers I only have 6 of them and it is about time I get a new router table

I would love to review your Table
attached photo is my latest version

Keith Outten
03-11-2009, 4:54 PM
I just got off the phone with Chris, it is possible that the winner will be selected sometime tomorrow so anyone who is interested please post tonight so you won't miss this opportunity.

Chris is ready to ship :)

john lawson
03-13-2009, 8:06 AM
Chris:

me, me, me. Actually, Us!

I have a shop in Birmingham, AL., and make custome furniture. I have been a woodworker for over 20 years. If it helps, I will come pick up the table.

Better yet, I belong to the Alabama Woodworkers Guild, and my offer is to place the table in our Guild Workshop where it can be evaluated by all our members. In addition, we are having a router workshop on March 21 at our guild workshop presented by Jim Stafford, an Atlanta based professional woodworker. So, if you want a lot of exposure, and evaluations give us a consideration. (workshop pictured below)

john lawson
birmingham

Rick Potter
03-14-2009, 2:23 AM
Sign me up too.

I have been a hobby woodworker for over 25 years. I currently have a fairly large shop, with two router tables, and two medium duty shapers. I am remodeling and adding on to my home, and will be building a new kitchen soon.

Rick Potter

Keith Outten
03-14-2009, 3:14 AM
I gave Chris my recommendations, his list and mine combined have been narrowed down to a total of twelve candidates.
I have to tell you it is not an easy task, there are so many talented woodworkers who have volunteered, good luck to all of you!

He is supposed to call me today to discuss his final decision...

Matt Campbell
03-15-2009, 1:50 PM
So? Do you have any good news for me? :D
When can I pick it up? :rolleyes:

Keith Outten
03-15-2009, 2:43 PM
I'm still wainting for Chris Brown to call Matt. I've had my cell phone with me all weekend, possibly he is having problems selecting the winner :)

I will post the news within one minute of receiving his phone call.

Bill Wyko
03-15-2009, 3:07 PM
I do not envy his task. Lots of talent and diversity here.:)

Keith Outten
03-15-2009, 9:03 PM
The Beta Tester has been selected.

Peter Elliot from Maryland is the lucky guy.

Bill Wyko
03-15-2009, 9:30 PM
Congratulations. Seems like a deserving BOTL (Brother of the Lumber) I look forward to the review. It'll help me decide on the purchase.

So, any clue as to who the other 11 runner ups were?:D Don't leave us hanging.

Matt Campbell
03-15-2009, 9:37 PM
Congratulations, Peter! I can't wait to read your review.

Paul Fitzgerald
03-15-2009, 9:38 PM
Congrats Peter! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this impressive new router table!

Paul

Chuck Saunders
03-15-2009, 10:05 PM
It is a good day to be you Peter. Congratulations! I Look forward to the review.

Alan Greene
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Congratulations Peter. Looking forward to the reviews and pictures.

Don Bullock
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
The Beta Tester has been selected.

Peter Elliot from Maryland is the lucky guy.

Congratulations Peter.

I'm counting on your review. If it's positive enough, as I hope it will be, I can use it to convince SWMBO that I need one for my shop.;):D

Ben Cadotte
03-16-2009, 5:41 AM
Congratulations Peter.

I'm counting on your review. If it's positive enough, as I hope it will be, I can use it to convince SWMBO that I need one for my shop.;):D

Congrats to Peter.

And for the waiting for the SWMBO. Isn't it easier to ask for forgiveness, than for permission. :D

Peter Elliott
03-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow! I am speechless....

I just got on the computer and saw my name. I check the creek about 10 times a day and since Thursday, it's been so hectic.

Thursday - got a new computer because the current one was dying by the minute and the thought of loosing all my stuff was keeping me awake at night. The thought missing something, not backing something up, etc. Had to get the bagpipes ready for a night performance with FD band. Got home around 11pm

Up at 3am - Friday I work for 24hrs and it was a typically Friday in Washington DC, nasty fire that was hard to find/get to and we were there for hours, running all day and night.

Sat - came home in time for my daughters first softball practice. Wouldn't miss it for the world, those one time chances in life. Had another performance with the band, got home late again - Guinness is real good this time of year.

Sun - up early for a our big Washington DC Parade. Raining, cold but again it's a highlight of the year. We have an after party which is even a bigger high with about 400 people from the FD and all the families. We played and do our annual awards here too. Special guest was the brew master from Guinness and a Sgt. from the Army who was injured in Iraq 2 weeks ago. What an honor to play for him.. Long day indeed.

Mon - Today - I got up and took my daughter to breakfast, let her play "hooky" from kindergarten today so we could spend the day catching up.

Got a minute to check my new computer out and log onto SMC.

I am stunned... I think I am still dreaming from the lack of sleep!

wow! and a big thank you! what do you say when something like this happens... lost for words... wow! thanks many times over....

Peter

Jim Becker
03-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Congratulations, Peter...I may have to find a way to stop by sometime and check out your testing! LOL

Tony De Masi
03-18-2009, 7:55 AM
Congrats Pete. Now you MUST have me over to the shop to check this thing out.

Stay safe.

Tony

Peter Elliott
03-18-2009, 1:15 PM
Thanks for all the PM's and Emails... Again I am overwhelmed to say the least.

It's funny you mention a shop visit... One of my first thoughts was doing what "shopbot" does where a local owner has a show/tell at their shop.

I would be more than happy to host one at the house for SMC.

Thanks
Peter

Rod Sheridan
03-18-2009, 2:21 PM
Congratulations Peter, have fun and keep us posted please.

I'm eager to see what comments you have about the machine.

I was one of those who commented when QG asked forum members what features they would want in a router table.

I replied, with my usual shaper based outlook on what sort of features would make me consider a router table.

(I've always characterised them as upside down blenders in a sheet of particle board). OK so I'm not very tactful most times.

It's great to see a quality object, designed from input from a diverse, knowledgable base, even if it is another imported machine;).

Regards, Rod.

Stephen Edwards
03-18-2009, 2:52 PM
It's great to see a quality object, designed from input from a diverse, knowledgable base, even if it is another imported machine;).
Regards, Rod.

I was thinking that Quality Grinding is an American company based in Rainbow City, Alabama with their own manufacturing facility located there.

Rod Sheridan
03-18-2009, 2:57 PM
I was thinking that Quality Grinding is an American company based in Rainbow City, Alabama with their own manufacturing facility located there.

You would be correct, that makes it an imported machine for me.

((It was meant in jest, it's very nice to see some made in America (or Canada) machinery))>

Regards, Rod.

Chris W Brown
03-18-2009, 4:35 PM
I want to thank everyone who submitted their woodworking resume. Wow their is a lot of talent that hangs out at the creek. I must say it was a hard decision to come up with one winner to test the router table. Many of you are more than qualified to test any woodworking equipment, not just my router table. Several of you have made suggestions and help develop a product that I hope people will find useful in their shops.

Congrats to Peter Elliot!! I will be shipping the router table to him in the next few days, and be looking for his review soon.

Thanks,
Chris

Jason White
03-23-2009, 5:26 PM
Yummy!!!!!!!!

chris brown of quality grinding and machine has designed and built the ultimate router table. Their design includes ideas that came from members of this community and they are still listening to what you have to say.

this ain't cast iron boys and girls its a one piece machined steel table top with a custom cabinet and a router raiser!

chris is looking for someone to beta test his new router table, this is a golden opportunity for one of our contributors to get involved in the pre-manufacturing stage of one of the best router tables in the business. Once it is launched i predict there won't be any router table in its class.

quality grinding and machine will pay all shipping costs to deliver a brand spanking new router table to your door. All you have to do is use the machine for a few weeks and let them know what you think by writing a detailed review and share it with us here at the creek. Qg&m is looking for an experienced woodworker to provide an honest evaluation of this machine before it goes on the market and the lucky guy or gal that is selected gets to keep the machine.

how do you volunteer?

it's easy, just post in this thread and provide us with some information about yourself, hopefully enough info that chris can determine who would be the best candidate. If you have been a woodworker for 20 years and have extensive experience using router tables it might be something you may want to share :)

so have at it folks, start typing and make those of us who aren't selected envious of the brand new machine you will be using in your workshop for years to come. Oh, if you have any questions lets have em, right here and now!

Below is some eye candy to get you to start typing :d

you must be a sawmill creek contributor to be a candidate to beta test this machine.
registered members can get in on this offer by making a donation to sawmill creek and become a contributor. It's painless, click on the donor link on the blue menu bar.

Steve Clardy
05-24-2009, 8:42 PM
So time has passed by.
Has there been a review? Or have I missed it?

And Quality Grinding seems to be gone from the Manufacturers forums.

Keith Outten
05-24-2009, 9:20 PM
Steve,

I haven't heard anything from either Peter or from Chris at Quality Grinding in weeks. The meter ran out on the QG banner ad and Chris hasn't called me to let me know what he wanted to do..............

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-24-2009, 9:21 PM
I want my money back.

Congrats Peter.

Bruce Page
05-24-2009, 10:27 PM
So time has passed by.
Has there been a review? Or have I missed it?

I've been wondering about the same thing.

Peter Elliott
05-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi All,

Yes, lots have been going on. I got it in and WOW!

I took a ton of pictures and videos, from off the truck to assembly.

I have spoken with Chris a few times.

Now I am trying to put together the review, the right way with highly detailed photos and some videos. It's a lot to post in one shot.

Keith - trying to address the issue you had as well! as far as posting.

I got slammed with woodworking, which was good for the new router.

Look for something this week!

-Peter

ps. still can't believe it's here!

gary south
05-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Very intersested in hearing and seeing your review. Since I have learned of this new router table, I have held out on purchasing one.

I would like to know the following:

1. What will the table come with?
2. Ease of changing the bits.
3. Dust collection on the machine - how well does it allow the shaving to be pulled away
4. Weight distribution - does is tilt when pushing stock through
5. Ability to add a feeder
6. When will it be available to the public
7. Cost
8. Depending on #1 above.. what options will there be and at what cost.

That is a good start.

Gary
GW Custom Woods
Clinton, IL

Steve Clardy
07-02-2009, 8:46 PM
Wondering if everything evaporated on this deal, or have I missed a new thread on the upcoming review?

Keith Outten
07-02-2009, 9:33 PM
Steve,

You know as much as I do about this deal. Peter logged into The Creek about an hour ago but he hasn't made a post since June 21st.

Steve Clardy
08-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Any updates? :confused:

Bruce Page
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm thinking that we're not going to see anything from Peter.
Pretty sad

Keith Outten
09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I sent Peter an email and inquired.
He wanted to put together a web site for his review which is fine but it wasn't part of the agreement we made for him to post his review here at The Creek.

That's all I know at this point, I expect we can just write this one off but I am disappointed and feel we were taken advantage of on this one.

Steve Clardy
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Yep. I agree. Shame it hasn't happened the way it was supposed to.

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2009, 5:04 PM
Shoulda sent it to me....

Alan Greene
09-01-2009, 5:26 PM
I don't think I would have had a problem with him doing up a web site, with a continuation of an initial review. I have to agree with Bruce and Steve, it's a shame when a person doesn't live up to their word especially after being given an expensive piece of machinery. It reflects badly upon him in my view as well as reflecting badly on the creek. I am going to assume that Quality Grinding isn't to happy about it either.

Keith Outten
09-02-2009, 2:48 AM
Alan,

I expect that Quality Grinding is up to their ears in problems keeping their business afloat during these tough economic times. The last time I spoke to Chris Brown he was downsizing his shop and cutting his overhead in an effort to stay in business. He told me that he wasn't interested in selling any router tables or table saw extension wings until business got better because they are low profit items.

Peter may have received a one of a kind router table.