PDA

View Full Version : How do you mount your dovetail jig?

Brad Ridgway
03-05-2009, 6:17 AM
I have the lower end Porter Cable (4xxx) and was trying to come up with a good way to mount it. I was thinking about recessing some bolts in a piece of 3/4 ply so i could just clamp it to a bench or counter, but i saw Jim Becker's site layout mention "Leigh Jig Docking" and became intrigued by the possibility of getting more fancy.

Jim, can't tell from the miter saw project how that right side of the bench would be different then what i was thinking, but i'm all ears :-)

-brad

Sean Kinn
03-05-2009, 7:35 AM
My Leigh jig is just screwed to a 1"thick left over stair tread about 36" x 12" with 4 wood screws. I just clamp the whole thing to my workbench (....er...tablesaw top, or workmate I mean :o)

Todd Hoppe
03-05-2009, 7:44 AM
I don't have one of those fancy shmancy solid hardwood workbenches... Mine's just OSB on a beefy 2x4 frame.

I use 4 lag screws and when I need it, I just find a spot and screw it onto the bench top.

Andy Haney
03-05-2009, 7:49 AM
I think there was a plan once in Wood Magazine specifically for that jig. I bought a PC jig that has that arrangement (by previous owner). It is set up to be secured to a bench for work. PM me if you'd like some pics.

Andy

Leo Graywacz
03-05-2009, 8:11 AM
Mine is just screwed to a board with is screwed to a bench. I guess I could use clamps, but they might get in the way. Simple is best, I'm not trying to impress anyone, just need it to function well.

Mats Bengtsson
03-05-2009, 8:15 AM
My Leigh jig is just screwed to a 1"thick left over stair tread about 36" x 12" with 4 wood screws. I just clamp the whole thing to my workbench (....er...tablesaw top, or workmate I mean :o)

Same Jig vendor, similar solution (clamps workmate). If you do it fancy, it is good not to do it more fancy than you can easily dismount it and raise it higher up if doing long boards.

--- Mats ---

Gene E Miller
03-05-2009, 8:50 AM
Greetings & Salutations,

I have an Akeda and they have a mounting system that is detailed in their instruction manual that provides for a 3/4 piece of plywood or MDF that the jig is mounted to that then can be either screwed or clamped to a bench.

I have modified that further to include two 4x4 blocks on the bottom of each end of the jig so that when I clamp it to my bench I can then sit on a stool and see in the front of the jig as well as have complete control of the router to route out the dovetails.

In addition it also gives me the ability to route dovetails in longer pieces because of the raised height.

Gene

Bill Huber
03-05-2009, 8:58 AM
I have the PC jig and a small shop so I just clamp it to the bench when I need it. I just use 2 Quick clamps and it work fine, never had it slip off or anything.

Mark Roderick
03-05-2009, 9:07 AM
Carefully.

Bill White
03-05-2009, 9:45 AM
I have set twon threaded inserts into the top of my outfeed table. When the 4210 comes out, it is screwed into the table top.
Bill

Rob Young
03-05-2009, 9:45 AM
Shopnotes had a dual purpose jig for the 42xx family. It is a box with a large drawer for storing the jig. Take the jig out and it mounts to the top of the box which raises it to a more comfortable working height. Other amenities too.

I looked at the plans and decided instead to make my own version. It seemed odd that the plans for the jig box/drawer didn't contain any joints made with the jig. So mine is put together with dovetails and instead of a drawer, it has a hinged flip-top door on the "back".

Having the jig mounted about 14" higher is nice. The box has two little "wings" that can be clamped to the workbench.

Myk Rian
03-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I screwed my jig to a scrap of ply the side of the box bottom. That gets clamped to the bench. No need to get fancy with a jig. When done with it, I put the whole schebang back in the box it came in, and that gets put back on the shelf.

Lee Schierer
03-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I attach my Rockler jig to the outfeed extension table of my table saw with two c-clamps.