PDA

View Full Version : Elephants in Tandem

Dewey Torres
03-05-2009, 4:08 AM
Madrone Burl with Ebony/CA Inlay

All shots are the same stopper I just had to turn it a bit so you can see the full inlay.

Thanks for looking!

Jeff Nicol
03-05-2009, 6:00 AM
Dewey, All of your detail is incredible! Do you cut them out with a small highspeed grinder or by knife? No matter how you are very good at your craft! I love the elephants!!

Jeff

Aaron Wingert
03-05-2009, 8:44 AM
Very nice work yet again Dewey. Out of curiosity, how long does the inlay part of each one of these stoppers take you?

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2009, 9:11 AM
Great inlay Dewey! Love the imagination! Photos keep getting better also! Keep up the good work!

David Christopher
03-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Great work Dewey, they are getting better each time

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Dewey that is beautiful. How long does it take to do one? Another question is how do you do it?

Brian Effinger
03-05-2009, 1:43 PM
That's awesome Dewey. I guess everything is better with inlay! :D

Dewey Torres
03-05-2009, 6:53 PM
Dewey, All of your detail is incredible! Do you cut them out with a small highspeed grinder or by knife? No matter how you are very good at your craft! I love the elephants!!

Jeff

Jeff they are done with a Dremel and a leveling jig I made for the lathe in conjunction with locking the indexing head. Make part of it then turn it a bit, lock it and keep going until you get all the way around.
112205 112206

Very nice work yet again Dewey. Out of curiosity, how long does the inlay part of each one of these stoppers take you?
Inlay takes a few hours

Great inlay Dewey! Love the imagination! Photos keep getting better also! Keep up the good work!
I tried doing the sizing first this time and playing with the software option to make them more consistent.

Dewey that is beautiful. How long does it take to do one? Another question is how do you do it?
The tuning part takes me about an hour the inlay a few more hours. I have special bits for my Dremel which allows for fine details. It is all done freehand on the leveling jig. I don't use templates for these.

Don Carter
03-05-2009, 7:37 PM
Wow! Dewey, that is great! I love the detail and thanks for showing how you do it. I just don't think I have the patience or the talent for them. You obviously do!
BTW, that lathe sure is shiny and new.;)

All the best.

Don

Steve Mawson
03-05-2009, 9:27 PM
Thanks for the quick tutorial. They have all looked very very nice. Quite unique. I can see you taking commissions for pet owners.

Jim Kountz
03-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Dewey man that is really nice work, the detail is amazing and the turning itself is fantastic. Good form on the stopper too!!

Dewey Torres
03-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Dewey man that is really nice work, the detail is amazing and the turning itself is fantastic. Good form on the stopper too!!

Man Jim that is really a great complement. The inlays are something I feel good(confident) about but the turning form, photos, and other associated turning stuff is where I really need more experience. To hear someone complement the turning itself gives me great inspiration.

I have more to follow of course but I need to clear the shop of other projects as well. And of course the posts and pic to follow!

Dewey Torres
03-06-2009, 12:36 AM
BTW, that lathe sure is shiny and new.;)

Don

Yep that lathe is "da bomb!"

Jarrod McGehee
03-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Dewey Great Job. That inlay is terrific. My mom would love that stopper. she likes elephants.

Dewey Torres
03-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Dewey Great Job. That inlay is terrific. My mom would love that stopper. she likes elephants.

Does she drink wine?

Jim Becker
03-06-2009, 5:22 PM
I Dewey believe you've found your place in the turning world, my friend!