PDA

View Full Version : sink base center stile?

joe milana
03-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Does a 36" kitchen sink base need a center stile? I am beginning face frame construction and am realizing that the only thing that will support the narrow strip of granite along the front of the sink is the top rail of the face frame (which is really no support at all). Suppose someone "sets" a 20# frozen turkey on that narrow piece of counter top before "dropping" it onto the sink. Would the unsupported counter top be vulnerable? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
03-05-2009, 1:17 AM
Often the top rail of the face frame on a sink base is 6-8" tall, because the sink is that tall. A board 8" tall by 32" wide is darn stiff, and will support the sink and the granite well.

joe milana
03-05-2009, 7:14 AM
That would do the trick, but it wouldn't match the rest of the cabinets. What about the flip out utensil tray?

Russ Boyd
03-05-2009, 8:41 AM
I have the exact setup you are referring to. Flip out tray and all. I have not had a problem and don't anticipate one as this is done all the time. To be honest, I never really thought about it. I would think the granite is the strength and the rail, even though it's only 1 1/2" or so is a help. I do have the thicker granite though. Russ

Ben Franz
03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Many granite fabricators inlay a metal bar on the underside of this narrow strip to reinforce the weak point. Also, the slab should have plywood underlayment as an additional support. I often cut out the center stile and attach it to the back of one door like an astragal to allow better access to the base cabinet. Never have had a problem. My $.02.