PDA

View Full Version : Forest helmet

Dave Lehnert
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Anyone use a forest helmet when using a chainsaw. Looking at the Husqvarna and Stihl.
Comments on quality and fit welcome.

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Stihl%20Forestry%20Helmet%20System-2.jpghttp://www.usa.husqvarna.com/Storage/hqcs/product/Pro_Forest_Helmet_System_H410-0117_large.jpg

Jeff VandeZande
03-05-2009, 5:30 AM
I have cutting wood for heat for 30+ years. Thought about having one of those often. Finally bought one last spring, very nice. So nice to limb a tree without having your glasses ripped of your face or your hat taken off. The screen is especially nice when using a pole saw. The hearing protection swivels up when you don't need it.

Mine is a 'Peltor', about $50, looks about the same quality. Definately a good investment.
Looking at the pictures the screen hinge on the Husky is back farther this
will put the screen farther back when it is up, might be a good thing.

Kevin Arceneaux
03-05-2009, 9:03 AM
The Husky looks to be a vented hat and I am not to sure about keeping junk out of your hair.

I just usually wear my safety glass, ear plugs, and I have a set of chaps. IMHO, I think the chaps would be a far better choice to spend my money on.

Greg Cole
03-05-2009, 9:58 AM
I don't like the helmets much for chain saw work, safety glasses n earplus are ok for me.
+1 to the chaps! For the few pairs of jeans I've ruined with a chainsaw (torn front and soiled rear :p), a pair of decent chaps is cheaper and mucho safer. IIRC the kevlar chaps I have were @ $90.

Rob Cunningham
03-05-2009, 10:00 AM
A local man was killed the other day cutting wood with his chainsaw. The newspaper only said he died of head trauma. I don't know if the chainsaw kicked back or a branch came down on him. Either one looks like a good investment.

Ed Labadie
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
I've got an older Peltor (Stihl) helmet system. Wouldn't be without it. FYI, they do get rather warm when the temperature starts to rise, so the vented one might be a better choice. In the winter you could cover the vents with tape.

The Husky looks to be a vented hat and I am not to sure about keeping junk out of your hair.

I just usually wear my safety glass, ear plugs, and I have a set of chaps. IMHO, I think the chaps would be a far better choice to spend my money on.

Kevin, there is a reason hardhats are required when logging. Getting hit by a 1" dia branch falling from 40' up will put you on your knees. Trust me on this, ok?
While you might feel $50+ is more than you wan't to spend to prevent a serious head injury, at least spend $6 on an OSHA approved hardhat.

Ed

Benjamin Dahl
03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Dave, I have the Stihl helmet and like it. I only use my chainsaw a few times a year but felt it was worth buying for the safety. The chaps would also be a good idea.
Ben

Kevin Arceneaux
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I've got an older Peltor (Stihl) helmet system. Wouldn't be without it. FYI, they do get rather warm when the temperature starts to rise, so the vented one might be a better choice. In the winter you could cover the vents with tape.

Kevin, there is a reason hardhats are required when logging. Getting hit by a 1" dia branch falling from 40' up will put you on your knees. Trust me on this, ok?
While you might feel $50+ is more than you wan't to spend to prevent a serious head injury, at least spend $6 on an OSHA approved hardhat.

Ed

Ed, I have 5 hardhats, so I am well covered on that. I am not a pro logger, I just cut up things on the ground or wacking out small trees > 15ft. Anything over that I call a pro.

I think it is more of a judgment call. If I were at a commercial logging or a land clearing deal, yes a hardhat is required. But cutting limbs, branches, and trees already on the ground, the chaps win out over hardhat.

Dave Lehnert
03-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the info. Found this model at Labonville.com. Looks a lot like the Sthil. Only $24.95

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/catalog/helmetl.jpg

Dave Lehnert
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Speaking of chaps. What is considered to be a good pair?

Labonvill.com has this. http://www.labonville.com/videos/v2.htm

David Christopher
03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't like the helmets much for chain saw work, safety glasses n earplus are ok for me.
+1 to the chaps! For the few pairs of jeans I've ruined with a chainsaw (torn front and soiled rear :p), a pair of decent chaps is cheaper and mucho safer. IIRC the kevlar chaps I have were @ $90.

Dave, check with Greg I think the kevlar would be great and he may have a used pair of jeans you coule borrow

Greg Cole
03-06-2009, 9:31 AM
Any pair of chaps is better than none, but the more kevlar the better.
I borrowed a set a couple years ago & won't be caught running a saw without now. I forget the brand name I have honestly I doubt the tags are even legible anymore.
I do a fair amount of habitat improvement work for certain species in regards to game management, so I log quite a few hours on a saw this time of year.
The ones in Dave's link look good.

Rob Russell
03-06-2009, 9:57 AM
I have the Stihl helmet and always wear it when using saw. It can get a bit warm in the summer, but it's worth it to me to be protected.

Jim Becker
03-06-2009, 4:57 PM
I have a Peltor helmet similar to that one that I use when using the chain saw as well as when I'm running the chipper on the back of the tractor. Always with safety glasses under it, too.

Burt Alcantara
03-06-2009, 5:39 PM
I've got the Stihl. I used it all the time when I first bought it. Now, I only use it when I'm cutting a large amount of wood. The shield works very well. I don't use the muffs because...what?...what'd you say...???

BTW, is Forest Helmet the German Forrest Gump?

Burt

Don Abele
03-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Dave, I have the Husky version you have posted as well as a pair of their chaps. Bought them both when I bought my Husky saw about four years ago. I do not EVER use the saw without all of them (and additional eye pro) on. Not only is this the right way to do it, but I don't want to wind up as a Navy Safety Mishap Report that's sent out to the entire fleet!!!

Be well,

Doc