PDA

View Full Version : Turning Question - Need Advise

Stanley Campbell
07-16-2004, 6:58 AM
I seem to have trouble mounting a piece of wood so that turns without a wobble. Which means I have to take off more material to get it true. If I have a rectangular piece of wood or even a square piece and I draw a line from corner to corner and try to make a small indent for my header and tailstock it is ALWAYS off just a little, so I was wondering if anyone has a way to mount a piece of wood that is better than this?

Thanks
Stan

Dominic Greco
07-16-2004, 7:22 AM
Stanley,
In order to answer your questions, I have some of my own for you.

1.) I'm assuming that your turning between centers, in spindle "mode", right?
2.) Are you using a spur center?
3.) Has it been tapped in place with a hammer, or are you just using the pressure generated by the tail stock?
4.) What is the size of your turning blank?

You might also want to make sure that the head stock and tail stock are aligned. Put a spur center in your headstock, and a live venter in your tail stock. Bring them together so the points touch and see if they are co-planer. If not, then that's the source of your problem.

Thanks

Paul Held
07-16-2004, 9:04 AM
Stanley,

I often use the same technique that you are describing and here are a couple of my observations with myself. (1) In order to get the "center" the diagnals have to come exactly off the corners, which is not as easy as it sounds. (2) the piece has to be true in regards to 90 degree corners. (3) I use a punch to make an indent for my spur center and the tail stock point.

Having said the above and assuming the head and tail stock are aligned there is not much to worry about. After you have turned the piece round there should no longer be any wobble.

One other thing that just occured to me. If you are tightening the tail stock into the piece to much you may be bending your piece such that the middle bows.

Paul Held

Janice Manuel
07-16-2004, 9:41 AM
I'm a full-time woodworker and do lots of spindle turning. I've learned that getting the exact "center" isn't that critical to the appearance of the turning.

I draw lines corner to corner, then use a rawhide mallet to pound the drive center in. There are lots of things that can make that center move slightly off....like....your square isn't quite square, or the woodgrain itself makes the center "move" a bit, or you miss the "x" in the middle. So long as you are close, it will work just fine.

Any wobble you see should vanish as you turn the piece round.

Janice

Stanley Campbell
07-16-2004, 12:31 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes, Multi prong
3. First I use a punch to mark the Center and then it is held with Tailstock Pressure.
4. 5 inches Long, 1 inch wide by 1 1/4 inch

I'll check the last as I am not sure if I have or not.

Thanks

Stanley,
In order to answer your questions, I have some of my own for you.

1.) I'm assuming that your turning between centers, in spindle "mode", right?
2.) Are you using a spur center?
3.) Has it been tapped in place with a hammer, or are you just using the pressure generated by the tail stock?
4.) What is the size of your turning blank?

You might also want to make sure that the head stock and tail stock are aligned. Put a spur center in your headstock, and a live venter in your tail stock. Bring them together so the points touch and see if they are co-planer. If not, then that's the source of your problem.

Thanks

Stanley Campbell
07-16-2004, 12:34 PM
I use a center finder, it is a plastic piece that has a 90 degree ridge where you put the corner of your material and it has a place to draw your line.

I also use a Punch to make a small indent before I take it to the lathe, but I find my puch mark is not always exact, by maybe a 64th to 32nd

No Bending of the piece that I have seen.

Thanks

Stanley,

I often use the same technique that you are describing and here are a couple of my observations with myself. (1) In order to get the "center" the diagnals have to come exactly off the corners, which is not as easy as it sounds. (2) the piece has to be true in regards to 90 degree corners. (3) I use a punch to make an indent for my spur center and the tail stock point.

Having said the above and assuming the head and tail stock are aligned there is not much to worry about. After you have turned the piece round there should no longer be any wobble.

One other thing that just occured to me. If you are tightening the tail stock into the piece to much you may be bending your piece such that the middle bows.

Paul Held

Stanley Campbell
07-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Yes, the wobble vanishes if I get rid of enough material, but I have to remove just a little bit more than I would like as the Piece I am starting with is not very big to begin with.

Thanks

I'm a full-time woodworker and do lots of spindle turning. I've learned that getting the exact "center" isn't that critical to the appearance of the turning.

I draw lines corner to corner, then use a rawhide mallet to pound the drive center in. There are lots of things that can make that center move slightly off....like....your square isn't quite square, or the woodgrain itself makes the center "move" a bit, or you miss the "x" in the middle. So long as you are close, it will work just fine.

Any wobble you see should vanish as you turn the piece round.

Janice

Stanley Campbell
07-16-2004, 12:41 PM
I'll take Pictures of what I am making this weekend and Post on Monday. I would try and explain it now :rolleyes: but Pictures will make it easier to understand:p .

I would like to thank Everyone for their help. I really didn't think there was a wood working secret that everyone knew but me:confused: .

Stan Campbell