PDA

View Full Version : Cords on Power Tools

Richard Brown
03-17-2003, 2:51 PM
I have been looking at the cords on my routers, sanders, drills and other hand tools and the cords are cracking and becoming stiff, so I am considering cutting them off so that I have just short stubs. The thing that I am wondering about is that should I make the plugs on both the extension cord twist lock or one end twist lock and the other just standard? Some of thes items are two prong and some have a ground wire. Right now I am considering just using standard plugs with a ground.
TIA

Lee Schierer
03-17-2003, 4:12 PM
I go to the hardware store and buy heavy duty extension cord. the kind witht eh molded plugs. I cut off the receptacle end and open up the tool and wire in the new cord. It looks like new when you're done and good extension cords are cheaper than buying the wire and a good plug separate.

Works for two wire or three wire cords.

Jim DeLaney
03-17-2003, 5:28 PM
I do just what Lee said. Cheapest and easiest way to go.

Alan Schaffter
03-17-2003, 5:33 PM
Same here.

Carl Eyman
03-17-2003, 5:43 PM
For lack of a more precise word I'll call the shaped rubber tube that prevents the cord from bending too sharply as it comes out of the tool handle a reinforcement. Is there any hassle in feeding the extension cord through this? If the old one is damaged, are replacements available? Are the extension cords generally of a diameter compatable with the reinforcements?

Matthew Curley
03-17-2003, 6:32 PM
I, like others who have responded use extension cords for new tails on the tools. Wiring them in usually isn't very hard, just use common sense, and pay attention as you disassemble.

Richard: just from my experience... I have worked with tools that have short tails and can't stand them... The connectors are within inches of the handle and always seem to get in the way. As to the use of twistlock connectors, if you never use your tools anywhere outside of your shop, and you want to switch over, do it and do it completely. If, however you intend on using you tools anywhere else, don't. I worked in a theatre that used standard (grounded) connectors everywhere but in the shop (where everything was twist), and all the tools had twistlock, you always had to remember to bring an adapter whenever you weren’t working in the shop, and remember that the more connections you have the more chance Mr. Murphy (of Murphy's law fame) has to step in.

Carl: is there any hassle? no, yes, maybe... you just need to find a cord (with the correct gauge wire, and proper shell) that has an outside diameter that will work (a little rubbing alcohol will help it slide if a little too tight) Yes you can buy replacements, a local chain here in Northern CA has them in the specialty hardware aisle under "Strain Relief" (BTW I found a parts list for a dewalt drill and it had that part listed as "PROTECTOR,CORD"... whatever)