PDA

View Full Version : 3 phase motor question

Bob Vavricka
03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
A question for someone who knows more about motors than I do. I purchased a 1 hp, 3ph motor on e-bay to use with a VFD. The motor was listed as an inverter duty motor-Dayton 3KW92 and the first picture is the one show on e-bay and matches what I saw when researching the motor. The second picture is what I got--no eye bolt or a place to put an eye bolt which is no big deal and the bolts holding the frame together on the inside rather than on the outside. The duty rating on the one I received indicates CONT. but from what I can find out, there isn't anything on the nameplate that tells you it is an inverter duty motor.
What I really want to know is if I can verify that I got an inverter duty motor. I will put a pic of the nameplate in the next post.

Bob Vavricka
03-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Here is a picture of the nameplate from the motor I received. Thanks for any help insight you can give me.
Bob V.

Mike Henderson
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Given that the model number is on the nameplate, I'd have to say you got a motor that meets the specifications given for that model, which would mean that the motor is an inverter duty motor.

Mike

Chip Lindley
03-06-2009, 4:41 PM
Bob, contact the seller and complain that their photo does NOT match the motor you received! Often times there is a disclaimer in tiny print somewhere in their ad, that one photo is used for many similar pieces of merchandise. This may or may not be the case. In any event, the seller should confirm that you GOT what you Wanted! We assume that the rpm, shaft diameter and mounting base are otherwise ok with you.

I once got a great deal on a 3hp 3ph Baldor motor to use on a spindle shaper. When I received the motor, it was a C-face motor with no base as pictured. To his credit, the seller sent me $$ thru PayPal to return the motor at his own expense. He said his wife packed the motor and figured all his Baldor 3hp 3ph motors were Alike! Sheesh!

Bob Vavricka
03-06-2009, 6:06 PM
Chip,
Thanks for the reply. I checked and there was no disclaimer about the picture, it looks like they used a current picture/specifications for the motor like I saw on several websites listing this motor. The only difference I see in the specs on the nameplate is that it was listed with a 1.15 service factor (as it was on the other websites) and the motor I got has a 1.25 service factor which I believe is a good thing. I don't have my VFD set up yet, so I took it to a local motor shop and it does run OK.
My main concern was as you state--Am I getting what I paid for? I'll send an e-mail to the seller and see what kind of response I get.
Bob V.

Rick Lizek
03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3KW92
Going to the web catalog would quickly confirm what you have. It is rated inverter duty. I find it better to rely on the original source instead of the current seller.