PDA

View Full Version : Delta 17-950L or 17-959L?

Cliff Polubinsky
03-04-2009, 8:49 PM
Considering replacing my benchtop drill press with either a Delta 17-950L or 17-959L. I narrowed it down to the Deltas because of the table. I really like the table on these two. I've looked at the Steel City and it just doesn't excite me. It's nice, but the table isn't as versatile, IMHO.

So between these two -

The 959's quill stroke is 1" longer. How many times have you really needed that extra inch?

The 950 has a 2" quill compared to the 959's 1 3/4 inch. Does the wider quill give greater stability?

The 959 has a 3/4 hp motor to the 950's 1/2 hp, but just about every post I see from 950 owners say that they've never had an issue, even with wide forstner bits. Is it really going to make a difference?

The 950 has a bit more chuck to table and chuck to base capacity, which would be nice.

Anything else I should take into account?

This will probably be my last drill press. I don't mind spending the little extra if there's a compelling reason, but right now i'm not sure there is.

Thanks for any input.

Cliff

David Christopher
03-04-2009, 9:16 PM
Cliff, the 17-959L looks like its a little heveier duty that the other and if its going to be your last one it would be the one that I would get

Paul Ryan
03-04-2009, 9:42 PM
Cliff I am in the same boat. I have been looking at those 3 drill press' as well. I am hopeing the MS cash back will jump up alittle more, so I can get a nice discount. Anyway, I have felt the same way about the delta's over the SC. But don't you think you will end up making or adding a seperate drill press table anyway? That is what I keep thinking. The deltas tables are a lot nicer than the SC but if I am going to cover it what is the difference. But the deltas come with a laser does that make any difference to you? I can decide between the two deltas either. Have you thought about the 20" delta variable speed? It is about $250 more than the 759, but variable speed. It seems awefull big to me though, alittle too big. Anyway, I can't decide either 6" stroke, with bad table. Or shorter strokes with better table that may get covered anyway. And then there is the SC variable speed, bad table again though. I will be watching.

glenn bradley
03-04-2009, 9:54 PM
I have the 950 and dad has the 959. As much as I like mine I would take his in a heartbeat. The 950 seems to be the top of that particular style DP for Delta. The 959 seems to be the entrance into the next level. Much heavier duty, better depth stop, it is just a different machine. I got the 950 because of a great deal and it is a nice machine. Dad spent more but he sure got more too.

Brian Effinger
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Considering replacing my benchtop drill press with either a Delta 17-950L or 17-959L. I narrowed it down to the Deltas because of the table. I really like the table on these two. I've looked at the Steel City and it just doesn't excite me. It's nice, but the table isn't as versatile, IMHO.
I bought the 959 back in December on ebay (and got it for a song with free shipping and cashback). I couldn't be happier and would make the same decision again, even with out cashback.

The 959's quill stroke is 1" longer. How many times have you really needed that extra inch?
Go for the longer stroke. I went from a small C'man 12" benchtop to this and I wanted to get as much quill travel as I could. I enjoy turning pens on the lathe, and I have always had trouble drilling out the blanks on the benchtop DP because the travel was about 1/2" shy of what I needed. I wanted to make sure that I didn't have that problem again. Of course the Steel City has an inch more travel, but I felt that the 959 had the most "bang for the buck".

The 950 has a 2" quill compared to the 959's 1 3/4 inch. Does the wider quill give greater stability?
Cannot really offer any insight here, but I would think that you would really have to be pulling this down hard into the densest of woods for this to have any effect.

The 959 has a 3/4 hp motor to the 950's 1/2 hp, but just about every post I see from 950 owners say that they've never had an issue, even with wide forstner bits. Is it really going to make a difference?
Again, this probably doesn't effect too many people, but it would be nice to have the extra HP if you were ever to bore a deep hole with a large bit in some dense wood.

My 2 cents. :)

Brian

Danny Burns
03-05-2009, 6:56 AM
Extra unused horsepower usually equates into longer life.

I really like the SC split head design, for maintaining accuracy through the lifetime of the DP, but the table isn't up to the rest of the machine.

I would go with the 17-959 if I was going to get a Delta, and if I could afford it I would look at the 20-950, as I have had the odd occasion where the extra throat depth, for drilling into wide projects, helps.

The lasers can be added onto DP's as an aftermarket accessory, and I hear that Wixey have in the works a digital depth gauge for DP's that is on the drawing board, but it has been a really long time on the drawing board, so who knows.

Lance Norris
03-05-2009, 9:17 AM
I have the 950 and bought it for the table as well. Its a nice DP and 1/2 horse is plenty for me. If I was drilling metal with large bits, maybe the extra 1/4 horse of the 959 would be needed, but for wood... One added benefit of the table is the center hole is 4" and has leveling bolts for the insert. I unbolted all 4 of the nuts and added a sheet metal takeoff(like used for HVAC) and attached a 4" dust collection hose and blast gate. It works great. And I dont get wood chips in the washing machine anymore :p

Paul Fitzgerald
03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I have the 17-950L and like it a lot. I purchased it because it was the right price and had the large table. If money hadn't been such a huge consideration, I probably would have gone with the Steel City + the Woodpeckers Drill Press Table (http://www.woodpeck.com/wpdrillpresstable.html)... Just an option to think about.

Paul

Cliff Polubinsky
03-05-2009, 5:23 PM
Paul,

Yes. I probably will add an auxiliary table. The Delta will still have the edge for me with the front tilt along with the side tilt. The laser is a maybe, depending on how well it really works. The 20" variable speed would be nice, but for the amount of drilling I do, not even I could talk myself into that one!

It may come down to how much cash I have left over from the bonus after I replace the furnace.

Cliff

Paul Fitzgerald
03-05-2009, 5:45 PM
Paul,

Yes. I probably will add an auxiliary table. The Delta will still have the edge for me with the front tilt along with the side tilt. The laser is a maybe, depending on how well it really works. The 20" variable speed would be nice, but for the amount of drilling I do, not even I could talk myself into that one!

It may come down to how much cash I have left over from the bonus after I replace the furnace.

Cliff

I forgot about the front tilt, as I've never used it.

I did, however, use the laser the first few times, but I found the laser lines are too fat to be of any real use to me. I get better accuracy by just bringing the center spur on the bit down to my mark.

If the Steel City laser is better, I think it can be installed on the Delta.

Paul

Loren Blount
03-05-2009, 5:59 PM
Cliff, if $ is a concern check your local area Lowes. I purchased a 950-L about 3 weeks ago for $244. The key is to find a Lowes were they are putting them on their "non stock" list. This can be obtained by asking the tool section manager to look it up on the computer. I've been happy with mine especially for the price.

Loren

Chris Tsutsui
03-05-2009, 6:18 PM
I wouldn't choose the drill press based on the table it comes with.

I got a used Jet 17MF drill press for just $80 on CL.

I had to clean it up and pay about $50 to replace the chuck and now it works perfect and is drills down dead center.

Then I got a used Rockler Drill Press Table top for $25 that has fence, clamp, dust port, and two work hold downs. It made the drill press more user friendly for woodworking compared to the drill press Vice that I used to have in there.

HF sells a drill press table top for just $30 if you don't want to fork up $100 for a Rockler one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96395

Though, that metal DP table on that jet looks pretty solid. I'm just giving you another option in case you find a good deal on a Jet DP that has the small circle table. I remember cutting out hinge holes in panels wasn't too fun with such a small circle top.

Tom Veatch
03-05-2009, 6:20 PM
... The laser is a maybe, depending on how well it really works. ...

YMMV, but I'll echo Paul's comments. I have an aftermarket laser on my DP, and even after the time and aggravation of ensuring the laser projections are parallel and coincident with the quill axis, I still find myself lowering the bit and verifying the point touches where I want the hole.

I rarely turn the laser on anymore except for a gross check on alignment after changing the table elevation.

Cliff Polubinsky
03-05-2009, 8:31 PM
Loren,

The local Lowes has them for somewhere around $360 something. And I've noticed that the Lowes web site doesn't list them any more. Do you know if all Lowes are no longer stocking them? If so it might be worth a try to go ask. Or would I need a copy of a receipt showing the price to convince him? The 959L is a really nice machine, but for 1/2 the price, I'd be hard pressed to pass the 950 up.

Cliff

Loren Blount
03-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Cliff, only certain stores are closing them out to my knowledge. My local Lowes still has them at $399. I was able to check the other stores from there which led me to a Lowes in a different town that had them at the close out price. The key is to ask someone at the store to check the surrounding stores. Generally they will not mach the clearance price at a store that is at full price. At least that has been my experience in the past.

Hope this helps

Loren

Ron Bontz
03-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I have to agree with Loren but for a different reason. I have the 959L as well. If it is the table you want the 950 and 959 are the same. There can be a big difference in the bucks you spend for the rare times you may want the extra quill length and extra hp. Just a thought.:)

Cliff Polubinsky
03-06-2009, 7:44 AM
Lance,

Could you post some pics on how you did that? It would be interesting to see.

Thanks.
Cliff

mreza Salav
03-06-2009, 9:51 AM
I picked up a used 17-959 for $200CAD (in mint conditions with a table and a base with drawer to hold bits and accessories). This was an upgrade from a small 10" bench top and the thing I was annoyed the most with was quilt travel. Thus was looking for one with most quilt travel.
If you can afford it go with the larger quilt travel and you won't regret it.
It might be a good idea to wait and look for a good used one.