PDA

View Full Version : New Toy - (not toyl)

Wes Bischel
07-16-2004, 12:57 AM
I finished a new toy for Sam the other day - a wheelbarrow. He has been so intent on helping Mom and Dad move dirt and mulch, I figured he deserved his own.
I picked up the wheel at HF - on sale naturally. The frame and legs are hard maple, and the bucket is poplar all of which I had hanging around. I kept the construction simple, the bucket is glued and nailed (rather than attempting to clamp it :rolleyes: ) and the legs are mortised in with 1"dia. turned tennons. The wheel was silver soldered onto a brass axle which had the ends turned down to 1/2" and fit into oilite bushings. The bushings are countersunk into the frame and just pressure fit.

The test drive went well as you can see. :p

Anyhow, once it dries up a bit outside, we'll put it to use.

Thanks for looking.
Wes

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2004, 1:20 AM
Wes....great job and great looking operator too!

Frank Pellow
07-16-2004, 5:56 AM
Nice design and beautiful execution. I am sure that the wheelbarrow will no stay clean for very long.

Dan Mages
07-16-2004, 8:11 AM
The best projects are the simple ones. Nice work!!

Dan

Todd Burch
07-16-2004, 8:23 AM
Wes, that's the type of project that gives REAL GOOD satisfaction!

By the way, NAILS ARE CLAMPS!! I call them "round wire clamps". And screws are "screw-clamps".

Charles McKinley
07-18-2004, 2:22 AM
Toooooo Cute!

John Miliunas
07-18-2004, 11:04 AM
That's real neat, Wes! Nice job on it and I'm sure it will yield great returns on your efforts! :) Sure looks like Sam appreciates it! :cool:

Wes Bischel
07-19-2004, 4:24 PM
Thanks guys! Yes, these types of projects do have the better payoff in the end. I've been attempting to fit a "Sam" project in between the house projects so I don't lose focus. When I was young, my dad wasn't around so when I see you guys making things for your children and grandchildren it really warms my heart.
Yeah, they are just things, but I think they represent something more than the sum of their parts. Hopefully Sam will play with it till the wheel falls off! :D

Wes

Jason Tuinstra
07-19-2004, 5:25 PM
Wes, nice idea. Looks like your son really enjoys it. Way to go!