PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy Rockwell jointer 37-608?

Ed Popiel
03-04-2009, 8:38 PM
Hi,

New to the Creek, think it's great!!!

Friend has a ~1970's Rockwell 6" jointer model #6, 37-608. He just bought a steel city jointer and offered the rockwell for $100.

I tried to find parts, like new knives, but I don't think they are available. I tried Delta and Ace tool repair. Any one know where to find parts for this or should i just forget about it?

Thanks,
Ed

Alex Shanku
03-04-2009, 8:57 PM
Yeah, forget it. Not worth the trouble.

What is your friends email address???

(Knives are the least of your worries. Make sure its in good shape, runs, no cracked castings, etc. You most likely will want to replace the bearings. Single or phase motor? If 3ph, do you want to go the VFD route?)

David Christopher
03-04-2009, 9:07 PM
Ed, welcome to the creek.....you might see if the blades that are on there can be sharpened..Im sure can find spares somewhere.. for a hundred dollars you cant go wrong if it runs and it is strait

Pete Bradley
03-04-2009, 11:21 PM
EDIT: My mistake, I was mistaking this for a regular 6" jointer. A sheet metal universal motor machine is decidedly not worth the aggravation at any price. Pass.

What I originally wrote (doesn't apply to this model):
$100 is a reasonable price for a running 6" w/o blades and nothing else broken. Charles GG Schmidt has blades. You'll also want to replace bearings. Assuming the machine is running and no damage, scoop it up.

Pete

CPeter James
03-05-2009, 6:43 AM
I am going to disagree and say to pass on this. This is a small bench top machine with a universal motor. It has a short life and the life may be near the end. For that $100 and a little more you can get a better cast iron machine that will last and that parts are available for. Where are you located? Check the local Craig's list. With the economy the way it is, there are lots of used tools for sale.

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/images//DeltaImages/Jointer/J2Cpg1.gif

Jamie Hargrave
03-05-2009, 7:59 AM
From looking at the exploded diagram, I think that my first jointer was the same model. it worked OK, but the beds were short, and the machine was light, so that I could only joint very short stock. The other down side to it was that it had a 2 knife cutter head, and if I wasn't careful about my feed rate it would scallop the wood.

I replaced it with an old rockwell 37-220 6" which I managed to purchase for less than what I sold my old jointer for! The rockwell 37-220 is worlds better... but I have to admit... I wish I had a 8"+! :)

My advise is skip the 37-608 and cruise c-list, or other classifed ads locally looking for an older cast iron machine.

Ed Popiel
03-05-2009, 8:02 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.

CPeter - I think the jointer is a model 6 37-608 which has a stand with it. Looked it up on Ace tool repair.

Maybe I should take a look at it and if i can get knives, then i might buy it if it look good.

I'll try the Charles Schmidt for the knives. Thanks again for the help.

Ed

Pete Bradley
03-05-2009, 8:27 AM
See my edit. I was thinking of a different model and don't want to steer you wrong. $100 is way too much, and in my view you don't want to own it at any price. The real cost of cheapo tools is paid every time you use them.

Pete

CPeter James
03-05-2009, 9:08 AM
Do yourself a favor and hold off on this. The cost new was not much over this and from my own experience, do it right or nearly so the first time. I am on my5th or 6th jointer, my 5th air compressor my 2d table saw, my 5 lathe. You get the picture. Trust me, you will not be happy with this.

CPeter

Ed Popiel
03-05-2009, 7:17 PM
Thanks again guys, looks like I'll skip this one. If anyone knows a good deal on a jointer around Cincinnati, let me know. Keep on making sawdust!!!

Ed