PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear HF

Bill Bolen
03-04-2009, 8:04 PM
The pear HF is 7.5 X 7 and finished with 4 coats of min wax wipe on gloss poly. As the first finish coat was drying 2 large cracks opened up at the mouth. I let it sit for a few days waiting for the cracks to do their thing so I could do my thing. I filled the 2 large cracks with saved sawdust and CA, sanded flush and finished applying the poly. After curing for a week or so I noticed the knot had gone crazy! Big swirls formed all around it like ripples in a pond. The knot did not crack but the now sunken in knot had deep flowing crevases around it.... Guess I better let this pear wood sit a bit longer before doing end grain forms...Bill..

Don Carter
03-04-2009, 8:10 PM
Bill:
That thing is so shiny that the wrinkles make it look like plastic that has melted. I like it! Your finishes are spectacular.

All the best.

Don

David Christopher
03-04-2009, 8:36 PM
Bill I think the imperfections make it look better...the finish is awesom.. allways look forward to seeing your work

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Bill - The first thing I notice - always - is the form! This is beautiful! Love the curve, the small foot and the detail work forming a collar! Very nice! Pretty wood - great looking finish! Personally - cracks & even ripples all add to the character of the piece!

Very nice work! Seriously! Very nice!

Brad Hammond
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Beautiful finish!

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Beautiful piece. Love the form and finish.