PDA

View Full Version : Building new Night Stand

Michael Parr
03-04-2009, 7:55 PM
My wife would like a night stand for our new baby's room. The furniture that we ordered came with a color called "Classic Chestnut". What wood would be forgiving for both construction and finish. She would like the pieces to match. What is the suggestion of this esteemed forum.

PS I dont have a planer so I will start with finished wood and sand a lot.

Shawn Christ
03-04-2009, 8:29 PM
It might be difficult for users to give you advice without additional information. What is your skill level? Price point? How about a picture of the furniture you would like to match so users can see the style, woodgrain, and actual color?

It seems much of the retail furniture sold today emphasizes a hardwood name in the finish color, but the wood solids and veneers used are entirely different (less expensive) species. Or, if it is laminate furniture, the 'photo' on the surface can be of any variety of wood.

I wouldn't worry about not having a planer. I've built several pieces with only a sander for surfacing. You'll just pay a little more for dimensioned lumber.

Michael Parr
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/uploadedimages/fine_woodworking_network/image_resources/Web_Only/99931910-small-cabinet-video-workshop.jpg

Without the door (or to be added later). The color is wrong the wood color is much darker. How dark can you stain Pine? Should I go with a harder wood?

As for skills I have some from 20 years ago and got back into it. I have purchased the Eureka Zone PBB and can not cut very straight lines. I have a pocket hold jig and Bosch router. Price is not the problem but since its my 3rd project back I would like a little wiggle room for mistakes. I was thinking of using Pine but then my knowledge of wood is small. I would like to use wood and stain that will last 20 years.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2009, 10:04 AM
What kind of wood is the rest of the furniture. If you can take a picture, then it might be easier to suggest a complimentary wood.

I can offer this: Pine is hard to finish and the more knots the more rustic it looks. Clearer pine can be just as expensive as other woods.

IMHO, you might consider using poplar or birch. Poplar is available at home centers. It's very stable, and machines well, which will help you. It's a little harder to finish than pine but I recommend a gel stain. You'll have to experiment with colors to get it right.

You can also use gel stain on yr pine.