PDA

View Full Version : Stair repair

Matt Benton
03-04-2009, 3:01 PM
I've seen stair questions in this forum before, so I'm assuming this is the right place...

I'm having the carpet replaced on my stairs, and am planning to pull it the old carpet up myself and fix the squeaks (most every step has some squeaking).

Can anyone recommend what type and size screws I should use, and if I should take them up and use an adhesive, or will screws suffice?

Thanks!

Richard Wolf
03-04-2009, 3:55 PM
Stair squeaks are a result of two pieces of wood rubbing. In most cases, this is the tread and riser not being glued or connected properly. Have some one walk up and down the stairs while you watch carefully to find out where your problem is. If it is the tread on top of a riser rubbing, I try to push a small wedge in between the tread and riser, shoot some construction adhesive in the joint and nail or screw and plug the tread to the riser. You may have to remove the cove molding first.
If it is the tread rubbing on the riser at the rear of the tread it is a little more difficult to fix. Assuming you can't get under you staircase, see if you can get a wedge in between the riser and tread again and shoot glue or adhesive in between. You will have to stay off the stairs until the adhesive sets, which will be awhile. If you can get under the stairs, screws thru the riser into the tread will tighten everything up nicely.

Richard

Matt Benton
03-04-2009, 4:08 PM
Thanks Richard!

I'm planning to do this roughly 12 hours before the carpet people come in to lay the new carpet. Do you think that will be enough time for the adhesive to cure?

Also, would regular wood screws suffice for this?

Thanks again...

Richard Wolf
03-04-2009, 4:28 PM
Your timing sounds like it should be fine. No, on the wood screws, they tend to be too over sized and need large pilot holes. I always use screws like these; http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0830-FMZ/Flat-Head-Steel-Zinc-Plated-Screws

You will still need pilot holes, but their overall diameter is much smaller than traditional wood screws. You could use drywall screws in a pinch, but you may snap a few heads off.

Good luck with it.

Richard