PDA

View Full Version : Leather Baseball Gloves

Daniel Muller
03-04-2009, 1:36 PM
I have been thinking about etching names on baseball mits for awhile now and have recently had a few people approach me on this. Now that baseball season is coming up has anyone done this before and if so any issues?

Mike Null
03-04-2009, 1:53 PM
Leather engraves very well. Focus may be a problem but you should do well with it. Ease into your settings froma power standpoint.

The black will not show up nearly as good as the tan.

Daniel Muller
03-04-2009, 2:03 PM
Mike thanks I have done some leather before but I guess from a business standpoint do you think this is something to pursue as I have a bunch of towns around that have their own little leagues.

Mike Null
03-04-2009, 2:07 PM
Daniel

There are certainly a lot of prospects but I have no experience with that kind of thing.

Do you have the ability to take your laser to the site?

Rags Alan Ragland
03-04-2009, 2:09 PM
Daniel
Your timing could not be better. I am in the midst of the same thing. I have an order for 12 gloves to be engreved but cannot decide where to put the logo and names.
I just did 60 bats and that was no problem but am perplexed about the gloves. Where do you propose to engrave yours?
Dr. Rags

Daniel Muller
03-04-2009, 2:33 PM
I always wrote my name on my glove just below the hole where your pointer fingers sticks out. look at this pic. just to the left of the Rawlings logo but the name runs along that seem where the yellow mark is. I always liked it there.

Daniel Muller
03-04-2009, 2:35 PM
Rags,
I meant to ask where they wooden bats or aluminum?
Dan

Albert Nix
03-04-2009, 5:07 PM
I tried it on a grey glove but there was not enough contrast. Tan or red works good. Baseballs engrave nice also (game ball in a trophy shaped like a glove) but test the ball first some work better than others. I have had better luck with artifital leather balls.

Rags Alan Ragland
03-04-2009, 6:09 PM
Thanks Daniel
My client wants their convention logo, name, and presenter on there and I just don't know if it will all fit.

The bats were all wood bats. From 18" ---36"
Dr. Rags

Dave Johnson29
03-05-2009, 10:49 AM
The bats were all wood bats. From 18" ---36"

Hi Doc,

Care to share the pricing for the bats and gloves?

Rags Alan Ragland
03-05-2009, 7:25 PM
Bats on sale for $15.95 Gloves $23.95

Purchased from "A-Team Sports
Cumming Georgia
(770) 889 9980
I do not have any affiliation with this company other than as a customer.

Caviat Emptor: Check and double check shipping dates!
Dr. Rags

Dave Johnson29
03-05-2009, 8:14 PM
Bats on sale for $15.95 Gloves $23.95 Ahhhh, you got me, :) I meant the pricing for the engraving. Three days back I did two sample bats, 1 aluminum and one slugger. I was interested in what you charged to do them. I picked up a glove today and will try that on Saturday when I have some spare time.

Leigh Costello
03-06-2009, 1:43 AM
Dave, I don't know if this will help but we did some 18" bats for a local charity, we donated our laser time and they supplied the bats. They wrote us a thank you note for tax purposes stating the value of our donated services at $125.00 for 25 bats-or $5.00 per bat. I personally have charged as much as $20.00 for engraving a bat with team names for the coach. Never thought of doing the gloves though!

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I personally have charged as much as $20.00 for engraving a bat with team names for the coach.

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for that, it gives me a $-spread to work with.

Scott Shepherd
03-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Careful engraving regulation bats, especially aluminum ones. We looked at it when we first got our laser and were told that laser engraving them would void the warranty of the bat, and with bats running into the $400 range these days (yes, people actually buy their kids $400 bats these days), it could end up being a mess.

Not saying you can't do it, or shouldn't do it, just noting that engraving a bat might very well void the warranty on a very expensive item that you wouldn't want to have to replace.

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Careful engraving regulation bats, especially aluminum ones.

Thanks for the caution Scott, but I would point them at the Magnusson-Moss act. There is no way boiling out the color die from the anodizing could in any way affect the bat. The heat involved would be less than it sitting in the sun on a fine Spring day. Since the laser is not changing any of the metalurgy of the bat, I think the risk is very slight.

I have a friend who is a retired DA from L. A. who would be more than happy to go to bat (pun intended) on my behalf for free, should someone try that. :)

Either way, I would get them to sign a release first.

Bill Cunningham
03-10-2009, 9:04 PM
Did a bunch of bats for a wedding last summer.. I think I charged him ten bucks each, but I also did a bunch of other thing for him, so the ten bucks may have been a deal.. Senior moment, can't remember

Frank Corker
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Bill the bats look fantastic. Great job, shame about your memory!

Steve Clarkson
03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Did a bunch of bats for a wedding last summer.. I think I charged him ten bucks each, but I also did a bunch of other thing for him, so the ten bucks may have been a deal.. Senior moment, can't remember

I'm not so sure I'd want people showing up to my wedding with baseball bats......or pitchforks either!

Dan Hintz
03-11-2009, 7:10 AM
I'm not so sure I'd want people showing up to my wedding with baseball bats......or pitchforks either!
Meh, I don't think I'd mind it... as long as they were on my side of the family!

Bill Cunningham
03-12-2009, 8:45 PM
Bill the bats look fantastic. Great job, shame about your memory!
Ya they look better in real life than the picture does...
Remember Frank.. As you get older, you will discover the mind is the 'second' thing to go.

I'm not so sure I'd want people showing up to my wedding with baseball bats......or pitchforks either!As long as it's not some girls daddy toten his shotgun, and dragging a daughter with one hand and a preacher with the other :D

John W. Love
03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
As long as it's not some girls daddy toten his shotgun, and dragging a daughter with one hand and a preacher with the other :D

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the wife to prove it!

Rags Alan Ragland
03-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Dave
Sorry I thought you wanted what we paid for the bats. I'd rather not post what we charged for them but to simply say that I never break down the laser charges. I simply charge a unit price.
The gloves I rastered on a piece of flexable plastic from Inovative plastics and mounted them in the pocket of each glove. Turned out nice and the customer loved them. (sorry no pictures I simply was too busy to take them.)
Rags