PDA

View Full Version : Shaper anatomy

George Konis
03-04-2009, 1:08 PM
Hello all,

I have an old european combo machine (italian). I have been using only the jointer/planer configuration and the saw just for ripping. I just finished a job recently of custom made booths for a restaraunt and i made all the sides with a handheld router and a pattern (my ears are still ringing :D). Anyway my combo machine has a shaper/spindle moulder or whatever you wanna call it and im thinking of trying to make it work. The motor is working fine, its one speed. The problem is i dont know how a cutterhead is inserted on a shaper? Whats the anatomy? I mean i can only see a thread showing. The thread is over an inch

I attached some pics

Regards,

George

Steve Clardy
03-04-2009, 1:26 PM
Looks like you are missing the spindle that attaches to the shaft.
Spindle protrudes through the table, with the cutters attached to the spindle.

George Konis
03-04-2009, 1:40 PM
Hey steve,

So where do i find a spindle? i ve been searching the web and havent found anything (maybe im using the wrong words).

Are all the shapers configured this way?

Steve Rozmiarek
03-04-2009, 1:45 PM
What brand is that? Just out of curiosity, do you have any photos of the whole machine that you could post? Looks interesting.

Steve Clardy
03-04-2009, 1:51 PM
Gotta run. Back later.

Dig around in here....

http://www.owwm.org/

Kyle Kraft
03-04-2009, 7:34 PM
George, maybe the word you seek is "arbor". Worst case scenario, you could have a local machine shop make one for you.

George Konis
03-05-2009, 2:06 AM
So, a shaper arbor threads on that thread and then you insert the cutters?
I m mainly interested for pattern routing.

Kyle Kraft
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
In your particular case I would say yes. My shaper's spindle has a female taper on the inside and threads on the outside. The arbor has a male taper and a nut that slides over the end and locks the tapers together when tightened. In your case, I was thinking of a female thread on the end to fit over the spindle on your machine and the rest of the arbor would look like most others. My arbors have a ground shaft with a variety of bushings and a special slotted bushing for the top that fits over two flats on the the end. This slotted bushing prevents the Socket Head Cap Screw from unthreading when the spindle is run in reverse.