PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting a ton of ww mag. renewal notices?

Wes Billups
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I was just wondering if it's just coincidence or if the woodworking magazines are trying to generate some cash. I subscribe to 6 different woodworking related magazines and have received renewal notices within the last two weeks from 4 of them. A couple of them don't expire until November '09.

I was just wondering if the magazines are trying to ge renewals earlier than normal to generate some cash. If the economic picture was different I'd chalk it up to coincidence but with everything being what it is I'd like to hear other's thoughts.

I plan on renewing all of them but also don't want to send $50+ to a company which goes under in two months. My guess is they don't refund prorated subscriptions.

Let me hear your thoughts,
Wes Billups

Robert Parrish
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Almost daily! Even though my subscriptions are not expiring!

Dave Sweeney
03-04-2009, 1:03 PM
I know when my subscriptions are going to run out. So, whenever I get a mailing from one of the magazines, and it isn't near the subscription expiration date, I just tear it in two and throw it away unopened. The reason I do that is from past experience the only thing that magazine companies have ever sent me is a request for me to send them some of my money.

Rob Bodenschatz
03-04-2009, 1:47 PM
Almost daily! Even though my subscriptions are not expiring!

Me too....

John Keeton
03-04-2009, 2:41 PM
Like everyone else in this economy, they are mining for cash! I get them all the time - and it is just about enough to make me never renew.

Ray Newman
03-04-2009, 3:09 PM
I receive more than my share & some make me laugh.

A few claimed "renew for a year for US $10.00!"

But when I read the notice, I first must renew the subscription @ just about the regular subscription rate for one year, then I could renew for an additional year for $10.00 offer. When Looked @ one such notice, I look through my old cheque register as I had renewed early last year for two years. & guess what the this new rate was the same as the old rate.

As w/ most things, the devil's in the details....

Bill White
03-04-2009, 3:13 PM
Yep! I get 'em too, and I won't be renewing 'cause they are all ads and very basic content. I know that each mag has to be written for the first time subscriber and novice woodworker, but a recent mag headlined the review of the new Delta UniSaw. The article was about rabbets made on a table saw. NOTHING about the specs, etc. on the saw. Oh well......
So for me it is Woodshop News.
Bill :(

Matt Woessner
03-04-2009, 3:29 PM
I remember hearing on the radio that the magazine industry has been hit really hard with the slow economy. Less spendable income for "luxuries."

Mike Henderson
03-04-2009, 3:40 PM
It's not just woodworking magazines who are doing that - all the magazines I subscribe to are sending out renewal notices early.

Mike

Ben Rafael
03-04-2009, 3:47 PM
I dont subscribe to any mags and I keep getting notices that my subscription is going to expire.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2009, 3:48 PM
I dunno...no more or less than usual. They ALWAYS want you to extend your subscription even if you have 12 months left....

Charles Robertson
03-05-2009, 7:55 AM
Made what I consider a money saving decision. When I became a contributer, I decided to let all subscriptions run out. Increased my contribution a bit (not enough for what I recieve in trade). Will fix that when its time for a renew. Most of the magazine articles of any import are discussed on the Creek any way. Still get renewal notices. Still getting mags. Been a woodworking student for over 50 yrs. Hope to keep learning at least a little longer. Been a "Pro ?" a long time. Thanks in part to the Creek I have a hint of what I don't know. Mags won't tell you that. This is just a shameless attempt to get members to become contributers with out digging into savings,($6.00 ?) and actually save large money. I'm more worried about saving trees for their lumber than publisher's paper (I know, probably not the same trees used for the pulp).
This site has informed us all on methods, materials, tools, electrical and electronics - I'm new to computers and you all have helped me with your comments and fixes on this alone.
I enjoy the randomness of the topics in the different forums. Most mags are 1 or 2 decent topics and adds, adds, adds. Some adds were helpfull, but not worth the sub-scription fee.
Any way, I'm outa here.
If a rant apology is needed, I humbly give it. Humbly?
Any way again.
Mags----lotta money.
Creek, membership-free. Contributership-$6.00
Big money saved.
Satisfaction-priceless!