PDA

View Full Version : Clean glue from Bessey K clamps

Ken Kirkeby
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
My dad recently passed away and my Mom gave me a dozen Bessey K body clamps. Dad was pretty sloppy with the glue. What would take the clue off of plastic portion of the clamp and the metal rod?

Thanks

Chris Padilla
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Can't you just pop it off with an old chisel or putty knife?

If not, De Glue Goo (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=11390&TabSelect=Reviews&cookietest=1) works as advertised but before spendy money on this, try soaking in hot water and then take the old chisel or putty knife to it...or maybe a scrubber or toothbrush. I'm assuming the glue is yellow glue. If it is any other glue, I'm not so sure.

Don Dorn
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I may have done it wrong, but I ended up using a wire wheel on a drill. The heat gun did not work which is what was suggested to me. Anyway, now that it's off, I make certain to place some blue tape anywhere near where two boards are aligned.

Chris Tsutsui
03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I never inherited old clamps though when mine get some glue on them I use a putty knife to scrape dried glue off. If you're really careful you can use a flat razor blade along with some lubricant and try to scrape glue off. Or your finger nail...

Probably wouldn't use a solvent or anything like that since you may damage the plastic. I'm not sure if goof off (Has acetone) or goo gone (slightly weaker) would work.

Afterwords, I'd wax the parts susceptable to glue. Makes cleaning glue off in the future easier.

Ken Kirkeby
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone. Just how did we survive before the internet? :D

Brent Smith
03-04-2009, 1:21 PM
Hi Ken,

I've used mineral spirits to get it off the metal parts, though I wouldn't suggest it for the plastic parts. I'd rather avoid the problem though. I wax my clamps and use waxed paper during glue ups. It takes a few seconds longer, but saves a lot of work later.

Chip Lindley
03-04-2009, 1:36 PM
Before the Internet?? That's been less than 15 years for most!

Let's see....first there was Popular Mechanics, then Fine Woodworking and WoodSmith mags, AND trial and error!

Joe Scharle
03-04-2009, 4:21 PM
You left out the Deltagrams!

Mike Henderson
03-04-2009, 4:34 PM
I guess I'm like your dad. When it builds up too much, I scrape it off.

Mike

Jim McFarland
03-04-2009, 4:52 PM
I soaked mine in (white) vinegar overnight and rinsed well with water. All old glue removed but it does discolor the bar. I did follow the tip others have noted and waxed the bars after removing the old glue.

The only place I had a problem was near the head so I cut the top off a gallon vinegar jug (leaving 8-10") and soaked the head in 6-7" of vinegar. The old glue had built up so much that boards would not lay flat on the bar -- more than a cosmetic problem. I think I could remove most of the discoloration with a wire brush or w/d sandpaper but not worth the effort IMO.

I tried the heat gun a bit but I was afraid I would melt/deform the plastic head given where most of the glue had accumulated.