PDA

View Full Version : Another Epilog machine scam?

Dan Hintz
03-04-2009, 8:52 AM
<chuckle> He's "firm" on the price! Of course, it's a standard bid setup, so there's nothing firm about the price. Claims the model # is 8000 :rolleyes:

Item # 320346569391

Free Shipping!!! :p

Gary Hair
03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
You might want to do 30 seconds of research before you bash someone...

Direct from the epilog website:

OWNER'S MANUAL FOR EPILOG
MINI/HELIX - MODEL 8000

This manual can also be found in electronic format on the
Epilog Dashboard Drivers and Documentation
disk that came with your laser system.
November 16, 2008

Dan Hintz
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
You might want to do 30 seconds of research before you bash someone...

Gary,

I don't believe I was "bashing" anyone, simply pointing out what could be another Epilog sales scam. We've seen these quite a bit on eBay... pictures of someone else's machine and a cashed cashier's check with nothing to show for it.

If the auction turns out to be real, someone may get a great machine, but as with all of those auctions you have to be careful. The guy has zero feedback.

And I may be a bit hard of hearing, but I'm not BLIND. No need for billboard-sized posts...

Tim Bateson
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
It does sound legit, but with 0 feedback you do have to be very careful. A few years ago, I ignored the 0 feedback rule and got a super deal on a PC. So did the guy that got money from a dozen people before disappearing. I was luckier then most, I was suspicious from the start and called my credit card company the next day.

Larry Bratton
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Now now..y'all play nice.

However, I did notice that the seller of that machine just signed up on E-bay this month. I, for one, would not have a lot of confidence in bidding on that machine. It may be completely legitimate but I have bought lots of stuff off E-bay and have always based my confidence level on the seller's E-bay feedback rating which, in this case, is ZERO.

AL Ursich
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
There was another Laser sold on eBay because the Drug Companies can no longer give out Gifts at Drug Expo's.... I have a friend that hit about 50 shows a year doing the laser on Pen Boxes and Pen's.

When a Doctor came into the booth they would take a business card and before he left the hard sell on the way out he would get a nice pen and pen box with his name on it.

That all ended with a new law... So we will see more lasers like that one that went for about $6K. It was listed in the Creek Classified too.

As for Zero feedback, we must all start somewhere... It is best to be careful on eBay. When I started years ago with a Zero feedback I sent the item first then got payment to establish my rating. I still have 100% positive.

AL

Gary Hair
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
And I may be a bit hard of hearing, but I'm not BLIND. No need for billboard-sized posts...

That was the font/size from the manual, nothing implied in the way I posted it - my apologies for what it may have seemed.

Gary

Gary Hair
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't believe I was "bashing" anyone, simply pointing out what could be another Epilog sales scam.

Sorry to disagree Dan, but the tone of that post felt like bashing to me. To call something a possible scam without any facts to go along with it, is bashing. When you wrote that he "claims the model # is 8000 :rolleyes:", you made it sound like that was bogus - the "smilie" says as much as what you wrote. It's a real model number, not something made up - which is what I would have expected from a scam.

Doug Griffith
03-04-2009, 1:01 PM
It also appears the seller accepts PayPal. This gives the buyer an out should the deal go sour. I would never pay for an auction with a cashiers check no matter who the seller was.

Also, "firm on the price" is probably a result of the seller being a newbie and doesn't understand how eBay works. I bet that if the item sells cheap, the seller may renig on the sale.

Dan Hintz
03-04-2009, 1:02 PM
Is this better?

Claims the model is an 8000. <chuckle> He's "firm" on the price! Of course, it's a standard bid setup, so there's nothing firm about the price. :rolleyes:

The smiley was for the post as a whole, not just the model #. Too many things about this listing show as a possible scam, hence my bringing it to everyone's attention. If it's not, great, but if it is, best that people go into the bidding prepared. Seeing as how plenty here have admitted to being bit at one time or another in the past, it seemed like a prudent post.

And it's not like I'm the first one to make such a warning post about an eBay engraver.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread... if someone here picks up a great deal, more power to you. If it saves at least one of us from getting bitten, I have no regrets.

Howard Garner
03-04-2009, 1:19 PM
This is one of those to buy if you are within a days drive or so and can afford the time.
Show up to pick it up and inspect it prior to handng over the money.

Howard Garner

AL Ursich
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Also you could PM and ask for the Serial Number and owners name. When I got my 2 used machines I called Epilog and gave them the numbers and transfered the ownership, at least on paper to ME, from my Laser Buddy. He was the previous owner in Epilog records. It was not a warranty issue as there was none but when I needed a mirror it went quicker getting the part.

Still need to install the mirror.....:rolleyes:

A quick call to Epilog with the Serial Number and the sellers name should end any question of scam. And I also don't believe this is a scam, just an unfamiliar model number. I had never heard of that model either.

AL

Peck Sidara
03-05-2009, 9:57 AM
Also you could PM and ask for the Serial Number and owners name. When I got my 2 used machines I called Epilog and gave them the numbers and transfered the ownership, at least on paper to ME, from my Laser Buddy. He was the previous owner in Epilog records. It was not a warranty issue as there was none but when I needed a mirror it went quicker getting the part.

Still need to install the mirror.....:rolleyes:

A quick call to Epilog with the Serial Number and the sellers name should end any question of scam. And I also don't believe this is a scam, just an unfamiliar model number. I had never heard of that model either.

AL

Al,

That's what I would recommend also. If it's a legit sale, they'll be happy to provide the serial number. From there tech support can tell you the original owner, if it's been stolen, if there are any liens against the machine etc.

The Mini/Helix laser systems are classified as model 8000.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
For people interested in used equipment that still have money this could be a good time. I have no idea whether that ad is legit or not, but I do know of several people that have picked up great deals on equipment, including lasers but also large format printers, laminators, and shop equipment as people go out of business and try to cut their losses.

Bill Cunningham
03-05-2009, 9:04 PM
For people interested in used equipment that still have money this could be a good time. I have no idea whether that ad is legit or not, but I do know of several people that have picked up great deals on equipment, including lasers but also large format printers, laminators, and shop equipment as people go out of business and try to cut their losses.

Ya,and I think 'this' time around there are going to be plenty of equipment choices on the market.. The late 80's and early 90's were bad enough, but this time is going to be real bad for a lot of businesses big and small... If you have a sustainable, profitable niche, this might be your lucky year..

Dan Hintz
03-05-2009, 9:47 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a thread listing nothing but links to eBay auctions, Craig's List ads, etc. for equipment people like us would have an interest in. I could scrounge up the cash for a good buy, but I don't have the time to keep a constant eye out for the deals at all of the usual locations.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2009, 11:06 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a thread listing nothing but links to eBay auctions, Craig's List ads, etc. for equipment people like us would have an interest in. I could scrounge up the cash for a good buy, but I don't have the time to keep a constant eye out for the deals at all of the usual locations.
Maybe you can assign that to a family member or something. Links to E-bay and other auctions are in violation of the Sawmill Creek terms of Service, so such a thread cannot exist. In fact, you may have noticed the original post for this thread gave the item # rather than a link to E-bay to be in compliance.

Dan Hintz
03-06-2009, 7:26 AM
Maybe you can assign that to a family member or something. Links to E-bay and other auctions are in violation of the Sawmill Creek terms of Service, so such a thread cannot exist. In fact, you may have noticed the original post for this thread gave the item # rather than a link to E-bay to be in compliance.
Yep, I only entered the # for that very reason... still, I see no reason why it can't be just a list of eBay auction #s, Craig's List ads, etc.

Tim Bateson
03-06-2009, 9:17 AM
It's mute point now - the laser in question has been removed from eBay.