PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail&plane dvd

brian rohland
03-04-2009, 7:25 AM
Iam looking for a good dvdset on hand cut dovetails and one that takes you through the planing process right to finish no sanding or minimal anyway.ido have experience with the two processes,so am looking for a good video not something i will watch once or twice,pick up a trick or two.Maybe somone has an opinion before i spend money on junk that could have been better spent on a quality tool.Thanks guys.

Mats Bengtsson
03-04-2009, 7:35 AM
Iam looking for a good dvdset on hand cut dovetails and one that takes you through the planing process right to finish no sanding or minimal anyway.ido have experience with the two processes,so am looking for a good video not something i will watch once or twice,pick up a trick or two.Maybe somone has an opinion before i spend money on junk that could have been better spent on a quality tool.Thanks guys.

The best video on hand made dovetails I have seen is free and from woodworkingonline, podcast 36. might not be the right for you if you are both experienced and yet want a video you return to frequently, but it is the first video I have seen where someone proves it as an efficient process for making good results.

--- Mats ---

Joe Cunningham
03-04-2009, 8:18 AM
For planing I'd recommend "Coarse, Medium and Fine" with Christopher Schwarz. I got it from Lie-Nielsen, but I am sure it is available in many different places.

Lots of people suggest Rob Cosman for handcut dovetails, but I've never seen his vids, so I can't say one way or another.

brian rohland
03-04-2009, 1:54 PM
thanks,they are the two i am looking at just am afraid of being dissapointed.so i figured its worth a shot to ask.I probabley will go that way with the planing from swarz and the dovetails from crosman.also thanks mats great site there were plenty of videos there to watch.the dovetail was a good one,i just wish he did less jabber jawing in the begining maybe he could have showed some half blind techniques with the time.But that said i did enjoy that video.

Mats Bengtsson
03-04-2009, 1:58 PM
thanks,they are the two i am looking at just am afraid of being dissapointed.so i figured its worth a shot to ask.I probabley will go that way with the planing from swarz and the dovetails from crosman.also thanks mats great site there were plenty of videos there to watch.the dovetail was a good one,i just wish he did less jabber jawing in the begining maybe he could have showed some half blind techniques with the time.But that said i did enjoy that video.

Yes, he did talk a lot, but whenever he did action, it was obvious he was really good, good enough to make it look easy. Too good to give all of it away for free (he manages to fill in that he gives courses).

There is a another video on same site with another person showing how to do them (or at least trying hard to). Do not spend time watching that. As a hint, when he asks "any questions" first question is about the cost for a router...

--- Mats ---

Derek Cohen
03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Brian

Once you have been cutting dovetails a while, they become second nature. You begin to develop your own preferences - some cut pins first, others tails first. Some use a Western saw, others a Japanese saw. Some saw and pare the waste, some saw and chisel, and some saw and chop. Some mark with a pencil, others with a knife, and yet others no marking at all. Don't even start with the angle/ratio of the dovetails themselves.

So you see, there are many ways to create dovetails. There is no one perfect DVD. What you will get are the ways that different woodworkers prefer to do it. I have learned from several, and integrated their ideas. Taken the good, rejected the bad. You will not be able to tell this until you have a few experiences.

Don't sweat on the "perfect" DVD. Rob Cosman is excellent. He does the details well. Start there.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rick Erickson
03-05-2009, 8:37 PM
Brian, you absolutely can't go wrong with any Cosman DVD. He has both topics you are looking for. Just an FYI - you can rent them from Smartflix. This will save you some money over buying them.

brian rohland
03-06-2009, 7:11 AM
Derick I agree with everything you said.you are 100% right.but iam not loking for the perfect video.I understand not everyone will like the same thing or do things the same way and i appreciate your help.What rick just said is pretty much what i am looking for.I just wanted to make sure before i buy i didn't get a majority of bad feed back on the videos or maybe telling me to get a diffrent one that i don't even know about.so far it seems as if i will be satisfied with them,as it sits now i think i will get cosman set of dovetails and either swarz or charlesworth on planing.and i will checkout the renting option.thanks guys.

Joe Cunningham
03-06-2009, 9:13 AM
I have the Charlesworth DVDs as well. Excellent. I tried several different sharpening techniques and his has been the one that stuck. I like his teaching style as well.

I think I'll order up the Cosman DVD. My DT, while functional, are not showcase worthy yet.

brian rohland
03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
hey joe if you are intrested i just ordered from classic hand tools i ordered thdvetail series.but they have lot of dvd's pretty cheap most are around 20 bucks.

Larry Frank
03-07-2009, 9:54 PM
I went to Netflix to find the Cosman DVD and could not find it. I did find one by Franz Klausz. Can you give me the name of the Cosman DVD and I will search again at NetFlix. Cosman is coming to a nearby woodworking store and you can learn to make dovetails for $150. I am thinking about it.

Rick Erickson
03-07-2009, 10:43 PM
It's smartflix.com (not netflix).

Try this link - http://smartflix.com/store/video/2653/Rob-Cosman-Woodworking-Series

He has about 10 of them out there. The Dovetail series is there along with Hand Planing and Sharpening. I would start there. They are relatively expensive to rent but still considerably cheaper than buying. I bought them because I want to own them. I've watched each one several times. I may sell them after my brain has soaked in all I can handle.

brian rohland
03-08-2009, 2:22 PM
i also looked at smartflix. the only thing i found was a set to rent the dovetail dvd's are included but i don't think you can order them alone icould be wrong.click on the pro drawer set where it says rent the set i think that is where there hidden.it was 60 bucks to rent the set,I am not sure if you can rent them individually.Iwas a little surprised at the bad rev.the drawer making dvd got but the dt ones seemed solid.

Rick Erickson
03-08-2009, 7:22 PM
Search on Cosman. It will bring you to the woodworking set. Click on the title and you will see the individuals you can rent (down the right side of the screen).

In terms of the rating of the Drawer Making DVD(s) all I can say is I own them and next to the Dovetail ones those are my favorite. To each his own (I guess). The way I see it is - anyone that leaves criticism like that shouldn't be listened to. It is OK to have a differing opinion on someone's approach but these are very vindictive comments if you ask me. If that guy thinks Cosman's approach is anal I would hate to see what he says about Charlesworth.

brian rohland
03-09-2009, 6:08 AM
you'r right rick.I would rather somone show me the right way to do something even if he is anal and let me decide on how perfect i want to get and if i want it perfect i have the knowledge maybe not the skills but i can't blame cosman for that.I guess i will find out for myself i ordered the 2 dt and the drawer cd's before i read the reviews.(i bought them)