PDA

View Full Version : Poly cleanup question

Elijah Fontenot
03-04-2009, 3:07 AM
I've been using some Oil based poly and a decent quality foam brush. My question is, I'm having trouble cleaning it and im just looking for ways to get it cleaner, because the foam gets hard after a couple uses. Maybe im just cleaning it wrong.

I squeeze out the brush to get out most of the leftover poly and then pour some mineral spirits into a jar and mash the brush around and with my hands (with gloves on) and repeat 2-3 times with fresh Mineral Spirits. The thing is, after the 3-4th time i use the foam brush the foam starts to get hard. I hang dry the brush, brush side down to dry.

Please help!

Elijah Fontenot

Phil Phelps
03-04-2009, 7:06 AM
I use foam brushes for quick touch up and toss them. You need to use a good china bristle brush and treat it like a fine instrument. After use, you wash, need, mash, and all that with clean mineral spirits. Then you suspend it up to the heel in clean mineral spirits over night. Then shake out the excess and knock the bristles from side to side on a two by four. Place the brush in it's original card board packaging or wrap it in brown paper to keep it's shape, and hang it by it's handle. The brush will last you for many years. You're probably wasting more money in mineral spirits than the foam brush is worth. Give it a try.

Prashun Patel
03-04-2009, 8:15 AM
If you want to use a single brush on a project, then between coats, hang the brush in spirits between uses. Just be careful that the spirits doesn't dissolve the glue that holds the foam to the stick or the foam itself. I use a spring clamp to suspend the brush in a salsa bottle 1/2 full of spirits. This allows some of the finish to settle on the bottom.

Be sure to wipe or spin the foam brush dry before the next coat.

Elijah Fontenot
03-04-2009, 6:06 PM
Good ideas guys. A foam brush has done me well in the past, but i guess i should try using a good brush instead and clean it well. I do like the idea of letting the brush hang in the MS. I'll try that on my next project.

Thanks again guys!