PDA

View Full Version : New Pens ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-17-2003, 1:06 PM
Here are some pens I turned this morning trying different woods and ideas ... Ebony, Ebony with Ivory band, Willow (from a tree SWMBO played in as a little girl) and Cork Burl. Getting the ivory band is tricky on the Ebony ... but I think I'll get better. Thanks for looking. Now I have to do some bowls ...

Bob Janka
03-17-2003, 2:12 PM
Ron,

Are these "slim" kits? I like the effect of the ivory in the ebony. I also like the swirl on the cork burl. Do you have much trouble getting the tapers to match the bushings? I'm focusing on straight line cuts until I get comfortable with the entire process. I'm starting on "slim" kits with straight cuts and may branch out into flat-tops/american. Later, I'll add the fancier round-top/european style and later yet I'll add some rollerball or fountain pens.

Looks like you're having fun! Hope the new owners enjoy using them as much as you did making them.

Cheers,
Bob Janka
NCSU Craft Center re-opens today! Pen-turning, here I come! :D

03-17-2003, 2:50 PM
are the only type I've done so far, Bob. I'm like you and plan to do other types as I get familiar with tool handling and design. I haven't had emuch trouble doing the tapers, but I do use the small pen turning tools. I probably would have problems with the bigger gouges. I'm getting where I can turn smaller and not have to do as much sanding. I tried the ivory on a whim ... I don't think I'll be doing too much of it, but it looked good with the ebony. Good luck on your turnings.

Ted Shrader
03-17-2003, 2:51 PM
Ron -

Looks good! I like the cork burl and the two grip rings at the bottom.

Ted

Harvey Meyer
03-17-2003, 3:12 PM
Looks like you're getting the hang of it. Don't be afraid to try the other pen styles. I'm not very experienced at pen turning and I've done other styles without any fatalities. Just follow the directions and you should do fine.

BTW - I'm planning on finishing a cherry bowl tonight after 2 days of LDD soaking followed by 2 days of drying.

Harvey

03-17-2003, 3:42 PM
( BTW - I'm planning on finishing a cherry bowl tonight after 2 days of LDD soaking followed by 2 days of drying. )

Good luck and be sure and let me know how it goes/you like it or not.

Ken Salisbury
03-17-2003, 4:12 PM
Very nice job Ron - looks like you are now hooked.