PDA

View Full Version : Ya know, planes don't like moisture...

Gary Herrmann
03-03-2009, 9:33 PM
Not sure what happened. The ground has been saturated. Don't know if it came over the sill or from somewhere else, but somehow water got into my wall cabinet where I store my planes down in the basement.

My LV planes.

A number of them have rust spots now. I hope they haven't pitted, but it's possible. I've been turning a lot lately and hadn't been using them.

Cleaned up the planes, cleaned up the cabinet. Tomorrow night or the next, I'll see what I can do about the rust. Maybe I'll try lapping them and see where that goes...

It's always something, isn't it.

Well, at least the evil water didn't get to my bevel up family. It targeted the specialty planes for some reason. Ugh.

Ben Davis
03-03-2009, 9:55 PM
More than likely it's just surface rust and will come right off. Look at how the old Stanley's, abused and neglected for years, turn out when they are rehabbed. You'll be just fine. Veritas planes are stout.

Craig Johnson
03-03-2009, 9:55 PM
They will be alright.
I think the thing that makes it bad for planes is moisture for several months or longer to really create pitting. Although Im no expert.
Get em clean and Im sure they will be fine.
Give em a nice coating of T9 Boeshield after you fix em up.

george wilson
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I am glad it's only surface rust,I really HATE that rust that happens way down inside the metal!!:)

Richard Dooling
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Has anyone seen what for me is a new product - 3-IN-ONE No-Rust Shield? Looks to be an emitter of some kind.

Ben Davis
03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I am glad it's only surface rust,I really HATE that rust that happens way down inside the metal!!:)
Okay, okay. You got me George.