PDA

View Full Version : HF saw sharpener

Herbert Wallace
03-03-2009, 8:16 PM
wWas in Harbor freight today, and saw this saw sharpener. Anybody try this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96687

Myk Rian
03-03-2009, 9:33 PM
Someone else posted the same Q a couple weeks ago. Don't remember anyone replying, except to say the stops would have to be super accurate so you don't destroy the angles on the blades.

george wilson
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
The sharpener looks like a good deal,even if it hd to be tinkered with some. I'd make sure the stop is stable,but also minimize the sideways slop in the tilt down motor,so as to not grind different amounts off each tooth. At $60.00 it would certainly be a good "kit" to improve if needed. I may get one. If I do,I'll report about it.

Dewey Torres
03-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I would stay away from it unless someone can come on here and rave about how they have one/ modified it now it works fine yada yada yada. Usually the case with these types of tools out of the box is they may be ok with some pimping.

Phil Thien
03-04-2009, 9:43 AM
I have one!

The sharpening "wheel" is just a diamond blade. It is far too coarse for sharpening any quality carbide.

But I do use mine for cutting HSS pieces from time to time.