PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered the Grizzly 1023! Now what??

Jason White
03-03-2009, 8:00 PM
Bit the bullet and ordered the G1023 (left-tilt) with cast-iron router table extension. I was tempted to go with the newer saw with the riving knife, but Grizzly had it for about a grand with free shipping. Plus, the 1023 has been around forever and is more time-tested, so what the heck!

MY WIFE IS THE BEST!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

I wasn't going to order the saw with the router table extension wing, but it was only $50 more. I have the Bench Dog "pro max" on my RIDGID contractor saw and will probably put the Bench Dog on the Grizzly instead.

Couple of questions for you G1023 owners:

1. I have a 30" Biesemeyer fence kit (from Lowe's) still new in the box. Will this bolt right onto the Grizzly? Should I even bother? Is the Grizzly fence as good as the Biesemeyer?

2. Will the Bench Dog router table wing bolt onto the Grizzly without any trouble? Or will I have to drill holes for it to fit?

Thanks!

Jason

Mikail Khan
03-03-2009, 8:16 PM
Congrats on the new saw!

Let us know how it runs when you get it.

MK

Brian Kent
03-03-2009, 8:18 PM
When I was researching table saws, I read a Wood Magazine review of Tablesaw Rip Fences that rated the Shop Fox (that comes on the Grizzly) as "Earned High Marks across the board, with low deflection", "Right fence within .002" of parallel to the left fence, for easy transitions to cut left of the blade", and "Comparable performance to Biesemeyer but costs $50 more."

Since it comes with the machine, that negates their one drawback of cost. I have no complaints about mine (Shop Fox). My 2 cents says sell either one and use the other.

scott spencer
03-03-2009, 9:26 PM
Congrats on the new saw Jason! Having owned two Biesemeyers and now the Shop Fox Classic, if I had a Biese lying around the shop I'd definitely put it on the saw. The SF Classic is fine, works well, is stout, etc., etc., but I prefer the smooth faces of the Biese, and think the fit and finish is better....YMMV.

BTW, there is a fairly new device called a Bolt On Ripping Knife (http://walnutacrewoodworking.com/Online_Store.php)(B-O-R-K) that is essentially an aftermarket riving knife that fits the 1023SL. It works really well with a good ZCI.

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2009, 9:34 PM
Congrats Jason. I was pulling for the newer machine for you, but the 1023 is no slouch either. Be sure to get us some pictures when you get it! Jim.

Don Dorn
03-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I bought the 1023SL in 2003 (and then added the router extension later). The fence is solid and accurate and the saw runs as well today as the first day I plugged it in. I've never regretted the purchase. Congrats, I'm sure you will love it.

Kevin Downs
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM
I receive my G1023SLWX last week Thursday. I also purchased the outfeed table (based on another creekers wise words).

I spent the next three days putting it together and all day Sunday 'working' with it.

You might be able to hear the smile on my face! It's one sweek tool.

Kevin

PS: sorry I wasn't able to answer your questions.

Scott Wigginton
03-04-2009, 8:04 AM
1. I have a 30" Biesemeyer fence kit (from Lowe's) still new in the box. Will this bolt right onto the Grizzly? Should I even bother? Is the Grizzly fence as good as the Biesemeyer?

My first question is do you think you'll want longer rails? If so then there's no point in installing the 30".

Even if you don't want (or can't fit) the longer rails I'd think long and hard about whatever slight improvement you're gonna get over the stock fence versus what you could do with the $ if you were to return/sell/trade the Biesey.

My recommendation is to install the stock and give it a good month of solid use and see if it remains true. If so find some better use for the $ you have in the Biesey (Router Lift, Shark Guard, etc.)

Jason White
03-04-2009, 8:06 AM
Thanks, Don. What are you using as a fence for the router table? Would you mind posting a picture of your setup?

Jason

I bought the 1023SL in 2003 (and then added the router extension later). The fence is solid and accurate and the saw runs as well today as the first day I plugged it in. I've never regretted the purchase. Congrats, I'm sure you will love it.

Jason White
03-04-2009, 8:07 AM
Will look into the B-O-R-K. Thanks!

Jason

Congrats on the new saw Jason! Having owned two Biesemeyers and now the Shop Fox Classic, if I had a Biese lying around the shop I'd definitely put it on the saw. The SF Classic is fine, works well, is stout, etc., etc., but I prefer the smooth faces of the Biese, and think the fit and finish is better....YMMV.

BTW, there is a fairly new device called a Bolt On Ripping Knife (http://walnutacrewoodworking.com/Online_Store.php)(B-O-R-K) that is essentially an aftermarket riving knife that fits the 1023SL. It works really well with a good ZCI.

Jason White
03-04-2009, 8:07 AM
What can I say, Jim? I just like GREEN better than putty!
:D

Congrats Jason. I was pulling for the newer machine for you, but the 1023 is no slouch either. Be sure to get us some pictures when you get it! Jim.

Jason White
03-04-2009, 8:11 AM
Good points.

I have a very small shop, so the 50" rails are out of the question. If I get a bigger shop in a few years, I'll definitely upgrade.

Thanks!

Jason

My first question is do you think you'll want longer rails? If so then there's no point in installing the 30".

Even if you don't want (or can't fit) the longer rails I'd think long and hard about whatever slight improvement you're gonna get over the stock fence versus what you could do with the $ if you were to return/sell/trade the Biesey.

My recommendation is to install the stock and give it a good month of solid use and see if it remains true. If so find some better use for the $ you have in the Biesey (Router Lift, Shark Guard, etc.)

scott spencer
03-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Jason - I'm aware that the rails for a 50" rip are out, but because you're saw is left tilt, you're not likely to ever need any rip capacity on the left, so you could slide the front rail tube over to the right slightly to gain some capacity. I slid my Biese 30" and my SF Classic 26" over to the right 10" each for 40" and 36" rip respectively. Cheap, easy, and effective....

Jason White
03-04-2009, 7:17 PM
Do you have the B-O-R-K on your Grizzly? How does it mount? Can you post a picture?

Thanks.

Jason

glenn bradley
03-04-2009, 7:21 PM
Jason - I'm aware that the rails for a 50" rip are out, but because you're saw is left tilt, you're not likely to ever need any rip capacity on the left, so you could slide the front rail tube over to the right slightly to gain some capacity. I slid my Biese 30" and my SF Classic 26" over to the right 10" each for 40" and 36" rip respectively. Cheap, easy, and effective....

What Scott said. I did it and it is too easy.

Richard Wolf
03-04-2009, 7:31 PM
Good luck with it Jason.

Richard

David Bodkin
03-04-2009, 9:51 PM
Congrats on the saw. You'll love it. I love mine! I've never used a Biesemeye, but I've found the fence that it comes with to work fine. One upgrade I'd plan on is getting a better miter gauge. I picked up an Incra 1000SE for mine and it's lightyears beyond the stock one. Other than that it's a great saw. Enjoy!

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
I guess none of us have answered your thread topic question....Get a plug for the end of the wire so you're ready when it arrives!!!!! That is, unless you already have one. :D Jim.

Jason White
03-05-2009, 6:49 AM
I still have to run the 220v circuit out to the garage. That's my project this weekend.

I just love snaking wires!!:rolleyes:

J

I guess none of us have answered your thread topic question....Get a plug for the end of the wire so you're ready when it arrives!!!!! That is, unless you already have one. :D Jim.

Sue Wise
03-05-2009, 6:55 AM
I think the Shop Fox fence is just ok, not great but not bad. However, the best accessory I purchased for my Grizzly saw is the Shark Guard.

-Sue

Ron Brogan
03-25-2009, 11:15 PM
What Brian Said...........;)!

I saw the same Wood magazine article a couple of years ago and was not surprised. I have owned a 1023S since 2001 and couldn't be more pleased. You will find the Shop Fox Classic fence to be as solid as a fire plug, easy to set up and reliable. I have not had to readjust mine since initial setup. Only downer is the screws that secure the nylon rails to the fire plug do back out now and then so get some locktite. Otherwise, you will be delighted.