PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Maple

Tony Zaffuto
03-03-2009, 6:48 PM
Good evening all,

I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to finish tiger maple drawers for a cherry side table I've built. I want to tiger grain to "pop" and also to retain as much of the blond of the maple as I can. I've sampled several methods and I'm looking for additional suggestions. What I've tried is: 1. Danish oil, starting with several half-cut coats followed by ful strength, 2. Gloss polyurethane and 3. China tung oil full strength.

Thanks in advance and I will sample suggestions prior to use!

Tony Z.

Jim Becker
03-03-2009, 8:39 PM
I'd use a coat of BLO and then seal/finish with shellac. You really don't want to use an oil based product inside of a drawer, especially if there will be anything cloth or soft living in it...the smell will never go away due to off-gassing. The BLO will enhance the "shimmer" of the maple and one coat will not darken it much. If you use a blond or super blond shellac, you'll also minimize ambering from the finish, but know that the maple, itself, will yellow a bit over time naturally.

Mike McCann
03-03-2009, 9:43 PM
Tony

you can check out the wood whisperers site. he has a pod cast on poping the grain on some tiger maple. He uses transtint dye to pop the grain then sands it off and the tiger portion really shows through.

Tony Zaffuto
03-04-2009, 8:49 AM
Jim & Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions and I will try each on some scrap.

T.Z.