PDA

View Full Version : scrollsaw + sticky fingers

jerry cousins
07-15-2004, 3:38 PM
i am just learning to use my scrollsaw to cut veneers - having previously only used a deep fret saw. when i am manipulating the piece (now using both hands) while cutting i keep finding myself licking my fingers in order to get "traction" on the wood - especially on tight corners. was wondering if anybody has found anything to put on their fingers so they don't slip?

many thanks

jerry

Zahid Naqvi
07-15-2004, 3:48 PM
Disposable latex gloves perhaps.

Lynn Sonier
07-15-2004, 3:49 PM
At office supply stores, they sell a rubber finger tip. They come in different sizes and they have little suction cups. I have seen office people use them to sort papers.

Jamie Buxton
07-15-2004, 5:26 PM
i am just learning to use my scrollsaw to cut veneers - having previously only used a deep fret saw. when i am manipulating the piece (now using both hands) while cutting i keep finding myself licking my fingers in order to get "traction" on the wood - especially on tight corners. was wondering if anybody has found anything to put on their fingers so they don't slip?

many thanks

jerry

At office supply stores they sell little tins of waxey stuff which gives your fingers traction on papers. For some reason, they generally call them "moisteners" although they don't contain water. Office supply places also sell things which look like thimbles, but are rubber. These even come in various sizes. Either one will do your job. Staples.com has both.

Dave Brandt
07-16-2004, 6:53 AM
Sounds like you may be pushing down too hard. You only need light pressure. If you're still slipping, you might try covering your table-top with a zero-clearance top made out of 1/8" tile-board or something else that's pretty slick. It's what I did and the work piece glides easily over that slippery surface.